Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 14 Super Bowl comeback snow OBS

Ginx snewx

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol…folks that still buy into those silly myths are foolish.  It blows my mind that NWS(upton) even says that stuff. Especially when you have arctic air spilling in on top of it. 

Upton's forecast was spot on.  2.8 inches here and its only sticking to the grass.

Look at the 95 traffic cams east of HVN.

8337--1.jpeg

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Hrrr with a nice parting gift tomorrow. We’ll have to watch that later tonight.

Already seeing returns starting to pivot SW on TDWR. Must be going good up in Rockport right now. 

HRRR hits RI really hard and parts of SE MA. Even back where I am it’s solid advisory. 

13 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

HRRR has this current band disappearing around 8:30am? Weird

That’s gonna bust too…cuz it has 4 minutes to disappear. 

11 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Upton's forecast was spot on.  2.8 inches here and its only sticking to the grass.

Look at the 95 traffic cams east of HVN.

8337--1.jpeg

Your rates aren’t heavy enough.  If they were, then that wouldn’t be the case. Snow will accumulate on any surface if it’s snowing hard enough. You being  here in this forum as you are, you should know this. Look at October 2011, or October of ‘20.  If your rates were heavier, those roads would be snow covered. And your showing an interstate.  

My road is covered here. 

16 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol…folks that still buy into those silly myths are foolish.  It blows my mind that NWS(upton) even says that stuff. Especially when you have arctic air spilling in on top of it. 

How could it be a myth? It's basic physics. We have liminal  temps, it didn't get below freezing until recently, and when I laser temp a surface it's well above freezing. There's no snow accumulating on anything that retains heat. Yes, snow falling at decent rates would overwhelm that, but that makes a significant difference, since we don't have remarkable rates even in the bands right now, and it's a long duration low intensity event with lots of breaks for melting. There is a large break between this batch and any further sustained snow tonight. Road conditions would be more of a concern if antecedent temperatures were cold. Would they magically melt poundage? No, of course not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That’s gonna bust too…cuz it has 4 minutes to disappear. 

Your rates aren’t heavy enough.  If they were, then that wouldn’t be the case. Snow will accumulate on any surface if it’s snowing hard enough. You bring here in this forum should know this. Look at October 2011, or October of ‘20.  If your rates were heavier, those roads would be snow covered. And your showing an interstate.  

My road is covered here. 

Everything is covered here. Main road into town was plowed with a snowy look. Not just sticking to grassy knowls in the hills ftw. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

How could it be a myth? It's basic physics. We have liminal  temps, it didn't get below freezing until recently, and when I laser temp a surface it's well above freezing. There's no snow accumulating on anything that retains heat. Yes, snow falling at decent rates would overwhelm that, but that makes a significant difference, since we don't have remarkable rates even in the bands right now, and it's a long duration low intensity event with lots of breaks for melting. There is a large break between this batch and any further sustained snow tonight. Road conditions would be more of a concern if antecedent temperatures were cold. Would they magically melt poundage? No, of course not.

It’s not minimal temps here. It’s 26-27 degrees. That’s hardly minimal temps. The point is,  in a lot of places it’s sticking to everything…as it is here. Roads covered and being plowed. Uptown just doesn’t forecast for the beaches. That’s a silly thing to say that the ground is too warm, cuz it’s clearly not in a lot of places that are in there forecast zones.  

Perhaps It might have been more accurate to say,  the snow won’t be heavy enough to accumulate on the roadways in some areas, especially right along the beaches, if the snowfall rates are lighter.  

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s not minimal temps here. It’s 26-27 degrees. That’s hardly minimal temps. The point is,  in a lot of places it’s sticking to everything…as it is here. Roads covered and being plowed. Uptown just doesn’t forecast for the beaches. That’s a silly thing to say that the ground is too warm, cuz it’s clearly not in a lot of places that are in there forecast zones.  

Perhaps It might have been more accurate to say,  the snow won’t be heavy enough to accumulate on the roadways in some areas, especially right along the beaches, if the snowfall rates are lighter.  

Yes, of course the antecedent temperatures matter, and the snow rate matter. It is a variable. It's not a switch. I'm just saying their casually applying it with a broad stroke is as silly as claiming the phenomenon doesn't exist.