• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion Etc)

Kmlwx

26 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Looks stormy all of a sudden on radar

Yeah, the clouds at sunset had a convective look that suggested some forcing arriving, and the radar has really blown up.     There were a few model runs today (12z NAM Nest stands out) that suggested that the weak front would light up a bit after dark.

My neighbors also had the 4 trees in a row uprooted, (but I didn't want to mention it because I don't have pictures :wacko:), but this storm was worse than I, for one, had expected.

EDIT: I deleted my comment. Scroll back far enough and SPC has an Enhanced call for the B-W corridor.  College Park was right in the center. Pretty good call, looking back.

11 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Looks stormy all of a sudden on radar

10 hours ago, high risk said:

Yeah, the clouds at sunset had a convective look that suggested some forcing arriving, and the radar has really blown up.     There were a few model runs today (12z NAM Nest stands out) that suggested that the weak front would light up a bit after dark.

Wife and I were surprised when that little storm came through last night. Basically just heavy rain and a little thunder, but a nice surprise nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

My neighbors also had the 4 trees in a row uprooted, (but I didn't want to mention it because I don't have pictures :wacko:), but this storm was worse than I, for one, had expected.

The tornado we had last week was minor by comparison.  Looking at the bow echo posted by @alexj7 ,  and worst damage since the derecho points, and the power outages. 

Anyone care to comment on the prediction of this last batch of severe? What was the outlook from SPC?  Did this sneak up on us?

Area was put under Enhanced Tuesday morning. So  severe storms were predicted for afternoon , evening.

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Between the storms and the spectacular sunset, Tuesday was quite the memorable day. 
Did the derecho produce anything in the 90 range around here? College Park photos remind me of the June 1989 downburst in upper nw Chevy Chase. Still the most intense storm I’ve ever experienced

IAD gusted up to 74mph from that same storm as well. (June 14, 1989) So it must have been a monster of a storm by this areas standards for a while as it tracked east.

• Like 1

At least there’s a utility truck at your dad’s place! We still don’t have power on Chestnut Ridge in Northern Baltimore County and they haven’t even cleared the debris yet or started the fix yet and no crews even assigned yet!  If you look closely the fallen tree it took out the lines and snapped the pole at the base.  What worries me that only 1 of about 8 people I know in this general area got restored so far.   It is all well water around here so no power = no water.  And no wi-fi means no internet or, if you are lucky, 1 bar of service good enough for a text with no attachments but no data throughput.  At least my office has power.   I had a portable emergency generator on a transfer switch to run the well pump, refrigerator, one outlet, and 1 light on each level of the house, but that died after 7 hours, but regardless, it did not run air conditioning and after the first night of laying wide awake every minute all night long in a dark internet-less 85 degree home, we got a nearby hotel room last night.  At that hotel were about a hundred line workers from various states lodging for the night.  There are utility truck convoys everywhere and staging areas setup.  I am encouraged we will get restored over the next 24 hours but I am starting to have my doubts.  Northern Balt County got hit really hard.  Still nothing like the Hurricane Isabel aftermath which was incredibly destructive, but it does invoke memories.  We lost power for 7 days after Isabel.  We are up to 3 days now - by far the the longest since then.

6d2dcbfa253c97e5921bdab1fba25d7d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m down in Greenbelt checking on my Dad. Lots of damage and still no power. This is now. And there is a whole series of poles that need to be replaced.

The pepco outage map is still pretty bad for that area, including College Park, Berwyn Heights, etc. Good luck to you +your dad!

good article with pics from UMD student newspaper: https://dbknews.com/2022/07/13/umd-college-park-storm-prince-georges-county/

Pics in article are from the route 1 corridor.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

At least there’s a utility truck at your dad’s place! We still don’t have power on Chestnut Ridge in Northern Baltimore County and they haven’t even cleared the debris yet or started the fix yet and no crews even assigned yet!  If you look closely the fallen tree it took out the lines and snapped the pole at the base.  What worries me that only 1 of about 8 people I know in this general area got restored so far.   It is all well water around here so no power = no water.  And no wi-fi means no internet or, if you are lucky, 1 bar of service good enough for a text with no attachments but no data throughput.  At least my office has power.   I had a portable emergency generator on a transfer switch to run the well pump, refrigerator, one outlet, and 1 light on each level of the house, but that died after 7 hours, but regardless, it did not run air conditioning and after the first night of laying wide awake every minute all night long in a dark internet-less 85 degree home, we got a nearby hotel room last night.  At that hotel were about a hundred line workers from various states lodging for the night.  There are utility truck convoys everywhere and staging areas setup.  I am encouraged we will get restored over the next 24 hours but I am starting to have my doubts.  Northern Balt County got hit really hard.  Still nothing like the Hurricane Isabel aftermath which was incredibly destructive, but it does invoke memories.  We lost power for 7 days after Isabel.  We are up to 3 days now - by far the the longest since then.

6d2dcbfa253c97e5921bdab1fba25d7d.jpg

I'm right there with you...I live in Millers right outside Manchester, and we have been without power since 4PM on Tuesday...that means no water, cell service, internet, AC, etc...

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, a.salt said:

I'm right there with you...I live in Millers right outside Manchester, and we have been without power since 4PM on Tuesday...that means no water, cell service, internet, AC, etc...

Sorry you have to deal with this. We were very fortunate here just 10 minutes from you. No damage and power was restored at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

• Like 1

So Monday...

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Low-level moisture will increase further on Monday due to persistent
srly flow with showers and thunderstorms likely ahead of a cold
front. Monday could potentially be one of the most active days of
next week in terms of severe weather potential due to a significant
trough of low pressure moving through the region. Mid-level flow is
pretty decent for mid-summer standards along with strong level
forcing, and abundant low-level moisture suggest a substantial risk
of severe weather. Flash flooding is also possible, but relatively
strong mid-level flow should keep storms moving at a fast pace.

Low-level troughiness and westerly flow Tue-Wed should push deep
moisture south and east of the area with areal coverage of showers
and thunderstorms greatly reduced. Another decent trough is
fcst next Thu, this time with a greater flooding threat due to
weaker winds aloft and mid-level flow more parallel to sfc
front.

2 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The area could use a break from severe anyway after last Tuesday.  With real heat finally building in next week, anyone who loses power in storms on Monday will be really crying

Ensembles still don't really favor any major east coast ridging. Seems the heat may end up pretty pretty seasonable overall. Still get your point. I'm really crossing my fingers we can make it through climo peak heat without and massive heat dome for our area. Would be a welcome relief. The heat has been really, really tolerable this season so far. I know we can still torch into August and even early September - but at least by the later parts of that period you can get some good cool front pushes with much lower dews. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

Well at least I got that going for me.  You can't lose power if you still have no power. :--(  

No but it has a good chance to push your restoration time back even further.

What a mess this has been, have not seen this sort of disruption in services and damage since Irene/Derecho/Sandy.

I was in Belair MD getting an inspection wrapped up.  Knew it was coming and it came fast!

Captured this

D0903jk.jpg

Short video before rain/hail chased us to cover:

At home near sunset, we noticed very much fire in the sky!  Not just your normal reddish/orange glow but everything had the appearance of being viewed with a pink salmon filter!

Zt12wSK.jpg

Red sky sailor's delight, yeah right!  (As long as said sailor is equipped with a 32kW Northern Lights EDG!) ;)

Our power was out for about 8 hours which was a true blessing as I know some that just got restored early this AM and there are still folks without power.

I'm taking a long needed break. (finally)

• Like 12

That first pic...I am pretty much WSW from Bel Air.  That's what rolled over us. The punch when the wind hit was immediate. We went from no wind to had to be 60 mph+. The power was gone just a second or two after the wind hit. Sustained for the first bit. The tree damage and snapped lines in Monkton on Monkton Rd. near the NCR trail and also on Corbett Rd between NCR trail and middle school was jaw dropping.

I assume NWS found straightline wind damage in northern balt county as opposed to a quick spinny?  Cell service and data has been hard to come by so I didn't see any of the posts (if there were any) about what the NWS survey found...

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

That first pic...I am pretty much WSW from Bel Air.  That's what rolled over us. The punch when the wind hit was immediate. We went from no wind to had to be 60 mph+. The power was gone just a second or two after the wind hit. Sustained for the first bit. The tree damage and snapped lines in Monkton on Monkton Rd. near the NCR trail and also on Corbett Rd between NCR trail and middle school was jaw dropping.

I assume NWS found straightline wind damage in northern balt county as opposed to a quick spinny?  Cell service and data has been hard to come by so I didn't see any of the posts (if there were any) about what the NWS survey found...

I could not force open a door against that wind pressure on the upwind side of my building in Sparks during that surge. In hindsight that was probably a good thing.

• Like 1