• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion Etc)

Kmlwx

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Catching up on Hereford Zone Facebook and the amount of tree damage along 83 to Hunt Valley is crazy. So many downed trees and lines. Got incredibly lucky at home to not get hit by that part of the storm. Was there any rotation at the time? 

Come to my house for severe storm. It seem to be the Mecca. This is the second time this year with extensive tree damage and power outage. 

• Sad 3

That line that hit Annapolis bowed out and split as it moved over my area. The northern part appeared to have some rotation per radar but weakened. Nothing of note here other than some downpours and T&L, but the southern part of it was severe with hail and 60-70 mph winds. Denton over to just south of Harrington in Delaware were hit hard with multiple reports of tree damage and a roof blown off a house near Andrewsville DE, with estimated winds of 80 mph.

• Like 2

as much as i bitch and moan about missing the big stuff I'd much rather get half the rain and no severe then the damage others got. It looks intense....i'm happy to get just enough.

see me in the winter though and if i still feel the same :)

glad everyone is ok 

• Like 6

In the Chestnut Ridge area of northern Baltimore county the amount of downed trees and lines is astounding. We have no power and our street completely blocked with a downed tree and wires everywhere. They’re not even working on it yet. BGE estimate says 4:15 pm today. I am doubting that. I’m lucky a tree didn’t hit the house and no direct damage. Branch removal alone from our yard will take hours of chain saw work.

• Like 3

This is a poplar that destroyed my neighbor's deck. Uprooted, not broken. Had pea size hail at 18:30 , several other uprooted trees on our street. 1.44" hvy rain. BGE came back on at 1:00am.

Drove to Staples Corner and had to return by Rte 50.  Two routes closed by trees and wires, one by flooding (450, as if we all didn't know) 

rps20220713_073512.jpg

• Sad 2

The entire University of Maryland campus has had no power since 5:30 PM yesterday. Hopefully getting it back today, but the nearby neighborhoods had some major damage, especially Berwyn. Can see the bow echo was at peak form right as it hit College Park.

qqmxm8ods7b91.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Just took me an hour to wind my way around downed trees and closed roads to get to wegmans looking for ice and water. No power still and looks like it may be awhile yet .  Definitely a lot of tree damage and power lines down in and around monkton down to hunt valley.

Hope you get power back soon. Def saying my thanks as my house missed the worst of it, close call for sure. Saw some damage reports near Dairy Road, which isn’t far from me. 

1 hour ago, alexj7 said:

The entire University of Maryland campus has had no power since 5:30 PM yesterday. Hopefully getting it back today, but the nearby neighborhoods had some major damage, especially Berwyn. Can see the bow echo was at peak form right as it hit College Park.

qqmxm8ods7b91.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

I’m glad it’s summertime and this didn’t happen in the spring or fall when even more people may be around.

3 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

as much as i bitch and moan about missing the big stuff I'd much rather get half the rain and no severe then the damage others got. It looks intense....i'm happy to get just enough.

see me in the winter though and if i still feel the same :)

glad everyone is ok 

My sentiments exactly. I'd hate the damage...yet I'm still disappointed I missed the big storm. But again glad to not have damage...but I woke up still stewing about missing yet another event...but thankful at the same time, lol

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Hope you get power back soon. Def saying my thanks as my house missed the worst of it, close call for sure. Saw some damage reports near Dairy Road, which isn’t far from me. 

Wasn't bad here but just a mile or 2 away was really bad. We lost power until 1:30 a.m.

• Like 1

Man, I am just now checking in on this event for back home. I'm glad everyone is safe, but losing power in the summer sucks and all the tree damage is depressing. I was on the road traveling back to TX from Nashville this weekend, so I had no clue until my friend at home texted me. Saw the radar images and they are pretty astounding for back east. Definitely one to remember. 

• Like 1

Escaped the worst of it in east silver spring, neighbors a block away had this large split at the base and topple onto some smaller trees. Missed their house though.  Otherwise not much damage in the immediate vicinity. We lost power for about 15 minutes after the line passed through.

Seems like the line strengthened as it headed east toward PGC, the pepco outage map is really lit up in the NE quadrant of the beltway - Hyattsville, College Park, Greenbelt, and neighboring towns.

eCijNa73ba6MRgrCF_JDMW4eYOIeouHanmOttB6l5BnoAwX133emtI4F0tXQf-YXlwfKYG5Y4TRwN_eFBK44fStECGEMH_7B9jpJkhjWpXq8ygmWiAUqKT1fmH-o0J1l7AE4KNa1qcc5a7GFTngSZvddEgJPslMqfAmTkxr5GSEYhGUn6PG_Q6Ffiji28aSREW7lOD293T5BJhlxDifv7WWblOr7QZwjs2OEFr6Bz_YxpEzl9qjjg4QPTVoyP-6McKCJ5MA4Sfmu9oPnGT_l_Ynsb4zi6vxh5BZ_RadmMNtLWnQIKIsIP16OH8s3CpXVBkrfeVqQDy0PQr0vFy_Q6CJatAX7lPeuzXc6ySuui_BjBsorAJx9DR3I9F6dXSCL8VOzm-7GkuaGcFkqUlBhkehbHQiqEPz8iNH8pWZFvBgHvsoXzaVhcdPRb47tzNMTZvj7kJfV8XlBR0GpB7f8QIVwgEAz7g9YzJWLvwHPQhsr3W9iTFaygtQMeEs7g11Yp9d6JXRgf_ZkjHk8P5ZPRhXvtFhenMLEimMjFGkH7PFux6aqZk2Z4BgiUcgBwgR-VSWJunQ6ar1LsLOMIs3BqBJvam9PK7Z9GJCwbF9Y0h2Azw7IiG8AJDBg75EpfWsf-SNagzMJcQLmW7mtwGke6B1fF7d0xAXQLR0iuLKM3uIu239rizxAOJt9lrrCUlu8_M8oe_Pvbb42KXcswFSxyKItS_0UkitOKnlL4fh_bevkoorGX0vsJUbzMOOqks-8BTlWnBSGdbCH2Zsfwlj3KUoHVQCKDoi4F0o=w1080-h1440-no?authuser=0

It’s been some time since I posted… yesterday was wild. 5 or 6 mature trees down at my parents’ in southern Havre de Grace, MD. Some snapped in half, others uprooted. Even small trees were torn down. They were all in the same area, but did not fall from a domino effect. The straight line damage went eastward for a couple hundred feet onto the adjacent property, with 1 large tree falling there too. I really don’t think it was a tornado as there was no radar rotation, but not something I have personally seen before. This is the most extensive storm damage I have experienced in my neighborhood.

I have measured and witnessed 60 mph gusts in severe thunderstorms, with little damage. I don’t even know the true speed of yesterday’s storm. If I had to guess I would say 70+.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

This is a poplar that destroyed my neighbor's deck. Uprooted, not broken. Had pea size hail at 18:30 , several other uprooted trees on our street. 1.44" hvy rain. BGE came back on at 1:00am.

Drove to Staples Corner and had to return by Rte 50.  Two routes closed by trees and wires, one by flooding (450, as if we all didn't know) 

rps20220713_073512.jpg

Yep Poplars are a soft wood tree. Most my of tree damage are poplars. I did lose a locust too. 

Downburst at up to 90mph in College Park. Nothing for Olney yet.

---

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
153 PM EDT WED JUL 13 2022

...STORM DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FROM COLLEGE PARK IN PRINCE 
GEORGE'S COUNTY MARYLAND...

TODAY, STAFF FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 
BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE CONDUCTED A STORM 
SURVEY IN THE CITY OF COLLEGE PARK IN PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY 
MARYLAND. THE SURVEY IS IN RESPONSE TO THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM 
THAT MOVED THROUGH THE AREA BETWEEN 600-610 PM EDT ON TUESDAY JULY
12 2022.

THERE WAS EXTENSIVE DAMAGE IN THE CITY OF COLLEGE PARK, WITH MANY
TREES SNAPPED AND UPROOTED. SOME TREES FELL INTO RESIDENCES,
PRODUCING STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. PEAK WIND GUSTS WERE ESTIMATED AT 
80-90 MPH. OBSERVATIONS FROM THE SURVEY SHOWED THAT THE DEBRIS 
FELL GENERALLY TOWARDS THE EAST, PRODUCING A DOWNBURST PATTERN.

THESE OBSERVATIONS, COUPLED WITH VELOCITY IMAGES FROM THE FAA'S 
TERMINAL DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR AT BWI THURGOOD MARSHALL AIRPORT
WHICH MEASURED 85 MPH WINDS AT APPROXIMATELY 1000 FEET ABOVE
GROUND LEVEL, ALONG WITH VELOCITY PRODUCTS FROM THE NWS KLWX WSR-
88D IN STERLING VA, CORROBORATE THAT THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE OF 
STORM DAMAGE IN COLLEGE PARK WAS STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS EMANATING 
FROM A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM.

STRAIGHT LINE WINDS FROM THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE TORNADO-LIKE
DAMAGE. YESTERDAY EVENING'S ESTIMATED WINDS IN COLLEGE PARK ARE 
EQUIVALENT TO THAT OF A LOW-END EF1 TORNADO.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE THANKS THE CITY OF COLLEGE PARK
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS IN ASSISTING WITH THE STORM SURVEY.
  • Thanks 2