• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion Etc)

Kmlwx

Just a few min ago, was still getting lightning strike indicators.  Checking the radar, yep, we're in between systems.  Checking the eye in the sky, indeed, it really is apocalyptic looking out there!  Would be amazing in the middle of the night.  This camera has picked up nocturnal storms off the coast of Virginia Beach as well as trails from rockets launched from Wallops Island.

Still, though, no fireflies.  After two days of heat, tonight, there better be some! ;)

• Like 1

In my personal experience, and emphasis on MY personal experience ;), yesterday had some loose similarities to May 26, 2021 (last year) and May 14, 2018.

Similar to May 26, 2021 in the sense that there were two rounds of storms round one being more isolated during the mid/late afternoon and round two pushing in from an additional line of storms from the west that rolled through more areas during the evening.

Similar to May 14, 2018 in the sense that the first round of storms yesterday (yes I know that May 14, 2018 had only round of storms) made for a small temp/dewpt depression resulting in a low and dark photogenic shelf cloud through much of northern VA (like on 5/14/2018).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Evident off 83 too - just south of the Shawawn exit there were tree falls next to interstate like a mini-downburst for a spell. 

yeah, I saw that too this morning. Lot of limbs down near Schilling Business Park and Oregon Ridge

Has anyone else ever received a call from the local NWS office asking about storm damage? I've moved since originally taking the Basics 1 spotter course, so I think they were inquiring based on my old address.

It's been at least 10 years since I took the class and they've never proactively reached out... Wonder if that's something new. 

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Has anyone else ever received a call from the local NWS office asking about storm damage? I've moved since originally taking the Basics 1 spotter course, so I think they were inquiring based on my old address.

It's been at least 10 years since I took the class and they've never proactively reached out... Wonder if that's something new. 

NWS has been doing that for some time. It's incumbent on the spotter to let them know of your new address.

19 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We've received at least a couple calls from LWX since we moved to AACo over 20 years ago. Problem is that by the time I get the voicemail, it's usually too late.  I should check/update that my mobile number is in the database.  

Also, judging by the posts on this forum, my little section of the world is just not as prone to severe weather as lots of other spots around the CWA.

Pardon the non-Mid Atlantic topic but what's with that large wedge tornado in Texas yesterday that reporters keep saying has "wind gusts of 70 mph?"  I just saw this quote in another article.  70 mph?

after photos and videos of a gigantic tornado near Morton circulated online. The storm has wind gusts up to 70 mph, NWS officials in Lubbock said.

39 minutes ago, high risk said:

For now, I like the Friday setup.    NAM Nest and HiRes FV3 both show a squall line or QLCS sweeping through the area in the late afternoon / early evening, with a fairly good environment in place ahead of the line.

Purely non-scientific/anecdotal - but on the NAM nest, the trajectory of those storms kind of matches some fun events if my memory hasn't completely failed yet. NAM nest has a pocket of good sig tor as well!

• Like 2

Another thing I like about the models @high risk mentioned - is we seem to have a little wiggle room with timing. Even if it speeds up by 1-3 hours, we may be fine still as it currently has it around 0z Friday. The events we go full "meh" on tend to be ones where the stuff comes through at like 17-18z. Wiggle room is good! 

I think I like this threat more than I did the ENH day...

• Like 2