Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

5 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Do you have any snow left?

Well, no and yes. The rain washed all the snow off my property but everything has an inch on it again. I tried to scrape that frozen rain/IP mess off of the garage after dinner but that darn snow just kept covering it back up. I gave up for the night.

23 hours ago, Harry said:

There is people around here 40 years old who have never seen a 18+ event. That's crazy. PD I ( Feb 79 east coast ) is what got me going. Ofcourse there was more like it after till I left in 2002 and has been more to this day. Oh what I wouldn't give to see 2-3 inch hr rates again for more then 5 minutes. 

This was never modeled to be a big dog but damn. 

Long live 13-14 and GHD ll. Ofcourse that event that a few days out I do recall models showing 20+ across this area. I still have alot of the model output for that on my computer. 

Guess I've been lucky to see 5 in The Mitt.

April 2-3. 1975, Bliz of '99, March 2012 (chase to NWMI), Jan 4-6 2014, GHD-2

But! I'm ready for another one. Too bad I moved to a place they rarely visit. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Well, no and yes. The rain washed all the snow off my property but everything has an inch on it again. I tried to scrape that frozen rain/IP mess off of the garage after dinner but that darn snow just kept covering it back up. I gave up for the night.

Don't fret It'll melt.

Stepped out of work a little before 6 pm to legit storm conditions. Windshield was an icy and drifted mess. Scraped half, then went to the other side. By the time I got that done, the first side was covered again. It was coming down heavy. This was in very western Livonia.

Just looked out the front door window and it seems to have ended here. Meh at another 3-4" "storm". But it was a nice reminder for a few hours what a real storm is like. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Stepped out of work a little before 6 pm to legit storm conditions. Windshield was an icy and drifted mess. Scraped half, then went to the other side. By the time I got that done, the first side was covered again. It was coming down heavy. This was in very western Livonia. Seems to have ended here. Meh at another 3-4" storm. Was a nice reminder for a few hours what a real storm is like. 

We got more coming boss

19 minutes ago, Crispus said:

Local media reporting 6.5" official total for Peoria. 

I still don't get where they determine the official total is from

for years(decades) it was the spotter just SW of the airport 

if you type in the coordinates in the LSR 40.76N 89.60W it says Donavon Park this time

but other times it has been the Health department and once even Peoria Heights Tower Park among others

they seem to jump around

• Like 1

4" here in southeast Naperville. Assuming 2-3" of that fell during the death band. That was the heaviest snow here in quite some time. Probably heaviest locally since the death band on February 9, 2018. For the metro, heaviest snow rate since Feb 15, 2021 in Chicago.

Since expectations for this event had gone way down, feels like a win. And cool to finally have a La Nina like pattern here for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Stepped out of work a little before 6 pm to legit storm conditions. Windshield was an icy and drifted mess. Scraped half, then went to the other side. By the time I got that done, the first side was covered again. It was coming down heavy. This was in very western Livonia.

Just looked out the front door window and it seems to have ended here. Meh at another 3-4" "storm". But it was a nice reminder for a few hours what a real storm is like. 

A lot of the snowfall reports through 10pm did seem to be somewhat underwhelming. They confirmed your 3-4" measurement.

That said, that was before the heavy band that's moving through now, which might dump another few inches. Should be good enough to meet the forecast range of 4-8", although maybe somewhat less than what the models had depicted this morning.

• Like 1

Even though snow totals weren't huge here, it was still a great storm. Had several hours of ripping snow and that incredible death band finale. Sadly was working the whole time so had to periodically look out window. Ha. Looks like 5-6in at my house in North Peoria. As models suggested, heaviest band setup just south of here. If this system was moving slower man this would have been crippling but still a good hit. Peoria airport had 4 consecutive hours of quarter mile visibility which was broke by 1 hr of half mile visibility followed by another hr of quarter mile visibility. Very impressive. 

Screenshot_20220217-223321_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Powerball said:

A lot of the snowfall reports through 10pm did seem to be somewhat underwhelming. They confirmed your 3-4" measurement.

That said, that was before the heavy band that's moving through now, which might dump another few inches. Should be good enough to meet the forecast range of 4-8", although maybe somewhat less than what the models had depicted this morning.

I think someone in macomb will end up with 7-10. Nice banding over them for awhile today  

The snowfall rates in this storm were really impressive, although I have no idea how much actually fell due to the drifting. I can't remember the last time I've had two big snows just two weeks from each other. It's definitely nice to get some good winter weather after a snowless December and January.

I love driving around when everything looks so frozen and desolate. 20220217.thumb.jpg.15a5c4c5b3caf7e277af307a3649f6c7.jpg

• Like 5