Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, Baum said:

eh I've seen far bigger collapses in the days when your only resource was 312-976-1212(NWS Chicago) and the local TV Mets who were conditioned to only forecast 1-3,2-4, and 4 inches or more. Many times waiting on the snowstorm, looking at the sky for the storm that was never coming. Nowadays, when you have one model all in, and 2or 3 all out you know the game can go either way. It was pretty clear two days ago when the american models burped where we were headed. Real hilarity, is wife's school called a snow day yesterday at 4pm. As a kid, it would have taken 20" for me to sniff an off day...like the 1979 blizzard....and even that took until 7 am.

Yeah remember listening as a kid to the NOAA weather station reading out heavy snow warnings and brief forecast discussions. A lot of times in the mid to late 70s those storms hit. Those winters left me nieve to the lackluster winters that would follow especially the 90s

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Yeah the 6z Euro and the 11z HRRR jumped north to join the RAP which has been fairly steady all night. As mentioned the 6z nest is decent enough too. 

Izzi did a helluva job subtley trying to walk the chicago zones out of the warnings and adjusted snowfall amounts. Be something if the original 3-6" call came back in play. Tough job.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Snohio said:

Looks like the Cleveland office isn't buying the models showing bigger snow accumulations for the Toledo area. They are going with a winter weather advisory for 1-3 inches and some ice.

I could see that dry slot & mixing cut it down a bit, but 3-6" is a safe call for areas north of US 24/Maumee River. It's going to be a heck of a cutoff though, could see 5" in Toledo and 1" in Fremont

10 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Nam/rap/hrr all in line with 8-12 accross all of metro detroit. Lets see if it comes to fruition. Enjoy all the snow up there y'all. 80 and sunny down here in florida today.

Experience says cut that in half.  I might be wrong, but that has served me well with those models in the past.

• Like 1

Only piles and drifts remain. It looks funny to see grass after having snow cover for so long. The rain is moving out. I'm actually happy because a lot of the pooling water was able to soak into the surface of the ground. Obviously the frost depth being 2' the ground is still very frozen but it warmed up enough for the surface to soak up some of that water. Now let's freeze it up and bring on the Winter part of the storm.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Only piles and drifts remain. It looks funny to see grass after having snow cover for so long. The rain is moving out. I'm actually happy because a lot of the pooling water was able to soak into the surface of the ground. Obviously the frost depth being 2' the ground is still very frozen but it warmed up enough for the surface to soak up some of that water. Now let's freeze it up and bring on the Winter part of the storm.

There is water everywhere up here.  Yards are ponds, ice, snow and patchy grass.  In my upper yard there is 2" of crunchy snow and/or solid ice (except under the trees which are frozen grass & water that is now turning to ice).  Walking in the yards is tricky.  I miss step and you'll end up on you butt in no time.  The lake dam is flowing like Niagara :lol:.  

Agreed.  Next part of the storm please to cover up this mess!!

35 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

nly piles and drifts remain. It looks funny to see grass after having snow cover for so long. The rain is moving out. I'm actually happy because a lot of the pooling water was able to soak into the surface of the ground. Obviously the frost depth being 2' the ground is still very frozen but it warmed up enough for the surface to soak up some of that water. Now let's freeze it up and bring on the Winter part of the storm.

Bit of a disaster here in Dexter.  The combination of frozen ground, snowmelt and overnight rain has caused it to flood into my basement.  I had to create a dam out of snow to block the flow into a window well.  This house just doesn't get a break. It was hit by the big Dexter tornado in 2012 and suffered EF2 damage. 

flood.jpg

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Todays kids will never know the anxiety of waking up two hours before school started on a potential snow day, turning to the local station and watching the scroll bar on the bottom until your school popped up.

Make snow days great again...and just delete the coding for the GFS and start over.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Looks like freezing rain knocking on the doorstop of @WeatherMongertemp is down to 33 here. 

Just went out and raised my wipers on my truck. Had been a drizzle but not much going on now. Radar has it just about here, metal surfaces had a slight glaze so will definitely freeze om contact on elevated surfaces.

See Jacksonville at 31 and light snow so hopefully a quick changeover.