Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

1-3 isnt considered an event imo. An event is 3+ and theres only been these last  2 worth getting excited about and the last one was a turd compared to what it couldve been. We'll see about this one. Rain to snow events are always tricky as far as accumulations.

Sometimes it's about impact. Look at all the car pile ups on Sunday in the whiteouts.  This storm should have a high impact regardless due to the icy conditions. Snow amounts however are a huge unknown so they might as well just forecast 1 to 8" and see what happens.  I wish I could avoid looking at computer models but i can't help myself. Weather does what it wants. Like I said a few weeks ago, the day I enjoy an overperforming 3" snowfall more than I do an underperforming 9" snowfall is the day I quit following the weather and just turn to following computers. And that's not happening. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Wonder if EC puts up winter storm watches tomorrow. Tough but potentially high impact event for them to forecast 

Noticed over the last decade or so EC only issues a WSW for exceptional snow storms (or maybe ice storms).  More likely SWS to warnings/advisories for this event.

3km NAM is pretty nuts but overall I think the max band is 6-10".  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Noticed over the last decade or so EC only issues a WSW for exceptional snow storms (or maybe ice storms).  More likely SWS to warnings/advisories for this event.

3km NAM is pretty nuts but overall I think the max band is 6-10".  

That's DTX. Very gunshy on watches and warnings but they'll issue an advisory all day.  Sometimes to where I think it makes the public complacent. Some of their advisories I feel are not even needed, a special weather statement would suffice, and other advisories should be warnings and are often upgraded midway through the storm lol.

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's DTX. Very gunshy on watches and warnings but they'll issue an advisory all day.  Sometimes to where I think it makes the public complacent. Some of their advisories I feel are not even needed, a special weather statement would suffice, and other advisories should be warnings and are often upgraded midway through the storm lol.

With respect to watches, it was bad even when I was growing up.  A watch would get hoisted and the storm never materialized, and people would have a bitchfest (friends, family, media) about how wrong the weather people were.  The word "watch" connoting a slim probability rather than a certainty never seemed to translate to most folks; they were instead dazzled with the "winter storm" part of the phrase.  And now with social media I believe that's gotten much worse, to the point where EC has for the most part shelved it.  Headlines with "Special weather" and "winter weather"(rather than storm) I think give them a little more wiggle room re: public perception.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Main wave is handled differently. It started off SE for western sub-forum, then corrects a bit NW for eastern sub-forum.

personally think given the scenario it could be quite a bit underdone on precip.  I think this situation has quite a bit going for it. As I say no science just a gut feeling from years of getting punched in it by models. 

How does the GFS suck so bad especially after all the repeated upgrades in recent years including the much-touted "FV3 core"? Based on what I've seen on the tropical forums, it still sucks for TCs too but has flipped from showing too many fantasy storms to whiffing on genesis that do occur (although I do recall it still having a lot of phantom Carribbean/GOM cyclones last fall).

Because severe weather events are so sensitive to details that usually evolve close-in (see: Derecho, Iowa) I don't even really bother looking at the globals for it anymore other than to say "there may be potential for something somewhere in this time-frame."

36 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

How does the GFS suck so bad especially after all the repeated upgrades in recent years including the much-touted "FV3 core"? Based on what I've seen on the tropical forums, it still sucks for TCs too but has flipped from showing too many fantasy storms to whiffing on genesis that do occur (although I do recall it still having a lot of phantom Carribbean/GOM cyclones last fall).

Because severe weather events are so sensitive to details that usually evolve close-in (see: Derecho, Iowa) I don't even really bother looking at the globals for it anymore other than to say "there may be potential for something somewhere in this time-frame."

Like bruh, we're the USA and the Europeans do a better job of predicting our own weather.

• Haha 3

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm