Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

57 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Not meaningless, but not incredibly meaningful either. So much has to be taken into account when it comes to ratios - not just temperature. Wind also plays a role and I imagine will certainly play one this go around. 

I think there's even more factors.  Southern stream synoptic events always have a fairly deep saturated isothermal layer below the DGZ while clippers have a very thin one.  That isothermal layer seems to favor chunkier plates as opposed to spindly dendrites.  They just don't form large aggregates the way pure dendrites do.  You still get a lot of bigger aggregates mixed in within the heavier bands, but the abundance plates falling at the same time fills in the air gaps and lowers the ratios even so.

12 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I would take that, but even GRR is now saying the GFS is overdone and going with a lower compromise forecast for the grids.  :(

They may have said that in afd but check out zones further Se of Grand Rapids. The highest totals are still up that way ( 3-5 up there vs 1-4 along I94 ) which basically follows the GFS line of thinking. Just that they are way to low across the board which is very typical of this office sadly. 

It amazes me how a number of them ( there is a couple of people there who is very good at this stuff ) have kept thier job for as long as they have. Ofcourse some of them do alot better with severe and other weather stuff vs winter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I think there's even more factors.  Southern stream synoptic events always have a fairly deep saturated isothermal layer below the DGZ while clippers have a very thin one.  That isothermal layer seems to favor chunkier plates as opposed to spindly dendrites.  They just don't form large aggregates the way pure dendrites do.  You still get a lot of bigger aggregates mixed in within the heavier bands, but the abundance plates falling at the same time fills in the air gaps and lowers the ratios even so.

Yes, I did not mean to imply it was just temperature and wind by any means. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

They may have said that in afd but check out zones further Se of Grand Rapids. The highest totals are still up that way ( 3-5 up there vs 1-4 along I94 ) which basically follows the GFS line of thinking. Just that they are way to low across the board which is very typical of this office sadly. 

It amazes me how a number of them ( there is a couple of people there who is very good at this stuff ) have kept thier job for as long as they have. Ofcourse some of them do alot better with severe and other weather stuff vs winter. 

Maybe they are jaded because it always snows in their back yard.  Some of them kinda dismiss events that aren't bullseyes for GRR itself.   Lake effect is always lowballed in the grids too. 

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

Maybe they are jaded because it always snows in their back yard.  Lake effect is always lowballed in the favored areas.  Some of them kinda dismiss events that aren't bullseyes for GRR itself too. 

I think this is what Harry and Rogue are frequently complaining about.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

We'll see what the Euro offers up but even if it's still relatively south, I think the hand is going to be forced into beginning to roll out watches this afternoon.

Particularly since the public is already aware of a storm. 

My MIL already asking about a big snowstorm. I told her not to get her hopes up, especially since she lives further north than I do. 

• Haha 2

Comparing all of guidance, the difference in the more NW NAM/GFS vs all other SE guidance is not tied to just one thing being different.

The SE camp is different with all five pieces that are of focus for this storm system. That's fairly significant for being only ~36 hours out from the main storm system moving into the sub-forum.

• Thanks 2

I know this is off topic but what is a good paid site for models? I know about PW but want to know what some Mets are using. Anyways being this close to the event and so much difference’s going to be interesting to see what local Mets are saying around here. Will be fun ride home from work Thursday 

2 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I know this is off topic but what is a good paid site for models? I know about PW but want to know what some Mets are using. Anyways being this close to the event and so much difference’s going to be interesting to see what local Mets are saying around here. Will be fun ride home from work Thursday 

Pivotal is my choice for most data behind a paywall, but WxBell does offer much more.

18 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Comparing all of guidance, the difference in the more NW NAM/GFS vs all other SE guidance is not tied to just one thing being different.

The SE camp is different with all five pieces that are of focus for this storm system. That's fairly significant for being only ~36 hours out from the main storm system moving into the sub-forum.

Annoying storm 

The sizable model differences have almost taken some of the fun out of the anticipation.  Not enough evidence to really get excited.

• Like 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm