Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

6 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

When you all cover sensitive vegetation newly planted against a possible freeze - what do you use to provide the cover?

Depends. If it’s a large area and can support it, I use a sheet. For individual small plants I’ve used empty planters or plastic cups. Just have to be sure they don’t blow away.

So I did a lot of complaining in this thread last year about the literal billions of helicopter seeds that the three maples in my back yard spew in every direction for weeks.  (Huge mistake planting those darn things 20 years ago).

Well this year they are going straight to leaves with no seeds at all!  How did that happen?  Maybe the very warm winter thus less stress on the trees?  Talk about a pleasant surprise

• Like 1

I’ve got a black sooty mold problem on our tea oil camellia tree in the back patio. Has anyone used neem oil successfully to rid insects? Trying to eradicate those before I move to washing the sooty mold off the leaves. 

Seeing how nasty that honeydew / sooty mold looks on the leaves (and gets on the patio underneath the leaves) gives good (bad) insight into what things will look like when we inevitably get the spotted lantern fly invasion. 

5 hours ago, nj2va said:

I’ve got a black sooty mold problem on our tea oil camellia tree in the back patio. Has anyone used neem oil successfully to rid insects? Trying to eradicate those before I move to washing the sooty mold off the leaves. 

Seeing how nasty that honeydew / sooty mold looks on the leaves (and gets on the patio underneath the leaves) gives good (bad) insight into what things will look like when we inevitably get the spotted lantern fly invasion. 

I've used the oil with success but had to do several, regular applications.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

I've used the oil with success but had to do several, regular applications.

I did the first application Wednesday evening and it seemed to have helped.  I'll do regular weekly treatments for the next month and re-assess.  I have to wash off the sooty mold too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

@GramaxRefugee our fig tree is leafing out too! We opted for a Chicago Black, what kind is yours?

I think it's an ordinary brown fig. That Chicago cultivar probably has a better chance of surviving a cold winter. When I was growing up in Howard Co my Dad grew a fig for decades, and those advanced hybrids weren't available back then. He used to insulate it with straw,  but if there was an unusually cold winter it would die back to the roots, and sometimes we thought it was dead, but it just grows back to the same size or bigger. By the time we sold the house a ladder was needed to harvest the gallons of fruit it produced . 

We were hoping that in our warmer Anne Arundel winters we won't get much die- back, but were already worried. Our neighbor here grew a fig and insulated it each winter for years, then sold the house. The new owners didn't insulate the fig, and now it's gone. 

So far, the deer, squirrels and other pests have eaten most of the  fruit. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

This will be the latest I ever get my garden in!  I really need a few dry days - hopefully coming up this week.  I've got trays of milkweed, lantana, rue, annual vinca and sunpatiens ready to go.

I had one black swallowtail chrysalis over the winter that hatched last week.  Little fella

image.png.aa6a61644c53d30e2459e459fc4881bf.png

I just removed all my moth pupae from cold storage last weekend.  Time to get busy.  Regalis should start eclosing in 3wks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, nj2va said:

Discovered bark scale on our year old crepe myrtle today. Crushed the white egg sacks (as many as I could) and bought a few products I found recommended online. 

I’ve also got aphids on  another tree I’ve been using neem oil on to rid. 

I guess I have some bad luck with trees!

re: Bark Scale, it must be spreading around this area unfortunately.  Noticed five crepe myrtles over the weekend in the area with it.

• 1 month later...

Not endangered per the US gov’t. It was a private organization. I haven’t seen any caterpillars yet though. Saw one adult the other day which was the first of the season for me. My milkweed hasn’t grown as well this year and the milkweed bugs got to it already so I’m not sure if I’ll have many.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Not endangered per the US gov’t. It was a private organization. I haven’t seen any caterpillars yet though. Saw one adult the other day which was the first of the season for me. My milkweed hasn’t grown as well this year and the milkweed bugs got to it already so I’m not sure if I’ll have many.

Thanks for the clarification. 

23 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Sad to read that monarchs are on the endangered list. It makes me want to get serious about planting a butterfly garden.

Any of the butterfly pros in the forum having luck this year with caterpillars?

I saw that article.  :(  My milkweeds are doing well and I've seen a few monarchs in the last few days finally.  Usually Aug and Sept are my big monarch months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've never dealt with thieving squirrels as much as I have this year. They're absolutely killing my tomato harvest.

I've been liberally sprinkling the plants with cayenne powder and covering the fruits with very fine mesh bags. That's slowed them down a little, but unless there's a ton of cayenne on them, they still rip the damn fruits and bag off.