Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 12/13 Event Quest for Blues to Envelop More Rather Than Less

North Balti Zen

41 minutes ago, Ji said:

epic winter for you and you only have 20 lol?

I wouldn't say it's epic, but that is a little above the mean for here.

It all fell in January though and snow was on the ground a lot of the time so that was pretty epic. Much better than having bare ground for the best month of winter, I will say that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The maybe 0.25” I got this morning has been vaporized. Pixie flakes barely make the trek through the lower atmosphere without being nuked by the filtered mid-February sun, and if they do they last no more than 10 seconds on the grass.

Yeah it looks pretty coming down but these are not high quality flakes, so struggling to get more than a coating. I am sure had it actually snowed when it was supposed to overnight into the morning, I would have done quite a bit better here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Yeah it looks pretty coming down but these are not high quality flakes, so struggling to get more than a coating. I am sure had it actually snowed when it was supposed to overnight into the morning, I would have done quite a bit better here.

Absolutely. We benefited from timing up this way. 1 AM, 32 degrees and heavy snow. Same bands during daylight and were likely talking 1-2”, not 4-5” for my area and points NE

• Like 1

Just now, jayyy said:

Absolutely. We benefited from timing up this way. 1 AM, 32 degrees and heavy snow. Same bands during daylight and were likely talking 1-2”, not 4-5” for my area and points NE

You benefitted from more than timing- you were in the sweet spot with the best lift in the RR quad of that jet streak. You probably had some stellar dendrites falling at an inch per hour.

Things tend to even out. I made a lot of posts in this thread tracking the small scale features for this event, and I know I said at least couple times that places NW were overdue, and if nothing else, that was enough of a reason to keep tracking when much of the guidance had it further east. WDI there for a hit, and WDI over here to miss out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Meh’d his way to a 5” event 

I kind of get his point about tracking events that are entirely dependent on small scale features. That's what this was, and I put a lot into tracking it, but I was doing it more for fun and to "bring the blues" to the snow starved north (LOL), and it actually worked out that way. For all my tracking, I got bupkis!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Well well, if only that 2" bullseye literally over my yard were to come true. Some enhancement off south mountain for the LSV. 

Interesting AFD snippet from State College-

Focus shifts to scattered instability snow showers developing across western PA into the Alleghenies/Laurel Highlands this evening into tonight. Pool of steep 0-3km lapse rates (7-8+ C/km) will drop southeast from lower MI and traverse south central PA tonight coincident with potent upper level trough. Primary risk is for locally heavy snow showers/squalls to develop and produce sharp vis drops to near whiteout and quick snow accumulation on roads. Evening shift will need to monitor upstream conditions and may need to issue some statements should conditions warrant. Confidence is average with the best signal over the Laurel Highlands to I-99, but how far east showers can extend is uncertain. We were keen to continue mention of heavy snow showers/potential hazardous driving impacts in the HWO while trending POPs higher than NBM.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Impressive squall line driving se out of Pa if it can hold together 

nam-nest-md-refc_ptype-4822000.thumb.png.15dc067c6065c3d7591a30675f2e3e0e.png

I'm wishing that this disturbance moved across the region during the daytime. Daytime heating, though heating the surface and leading to snow melt, would allow for more numerous and intense snow showers/squalls popping up distributed more evenly across the region.

It could certainly still be fun for some late overnight/pre-dawn. 

• Like 2

If anyone is keeping track of Accumulations, Snowshoe 24hr total I measured 3-5” range for the 24hr total…. Although I think only 2” or so Of that came from the system the rest was What I assumed to be NW Flow all day today ….sitting at 10 degrees currently …. Maybe that band back west will come thru overnight.  

1 hour ago, PantherJustin said:

If anyone is keeping track of Accumulations, Snowshoe 24hr total I measured 3-5” range for the 24hr total…. Although I think only 2” or so Of that came from the system the rest was What I assumed to be NW Flow all day today ….sitting at 10 degrees currently …. Maybe that band back west will come thru overnight.  

About 3" right now and snowing lightly in Snowshoe.  Wouldn't be surprised to see 1-2" tonight.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic