...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EST

SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 2

inches, with up to 4 inches locally.

* WHERE...The District of Columbia, portions of central,

northeast and northern Maryland and central, northern and

northwest Virginia.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 4 PM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The heaviest accumulations will be on non-

paved surfaces.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on

steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery,

increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

&&

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Loudoun left out of WWA?

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1000 AM EST Sat Feb 12 2022

MDZ004>006-503-505-507-VAZ027>031-040-501-505-506-131800-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WW.Y.0015.220213T0300Z-220213T1800Z/
Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-Northwest Montgomery-
Northwest Howard-Northwest Harford-Shenandoah-Frederick VA-Page-
Warren-Clarke-Rappahannock-Northern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-
Eastern Loudoun-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
1 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 2 inches,
  with up to 4 inches locally.

* WHERE...Portions of central, north central and northern
  Maryland and northern and northwest Virginia.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 1 PM EST S
  • Like 1

For those further SW...

VAZ025-508-132100-
/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0004.220213T0600Z-220213T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0004.220213T0300Z-220213T2100Z/
Augusta-Central Virginia Blue Ridge-

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM
EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6
  inches, with up to 8 inches locally.

* WHERE...Augusta County and the Central Virginia Blue Ridge.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 4 PM EST Sunday.

(snip)

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok stick to your narrative that inside 100 we don’t see significant shifts. I never doubted it. 

But most here would agree we do. Adios

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

clearly the only significant shift would mean going from a 1-3" storm to a 12-18" storm. I'm certain he realizes at this point his posts are no better than that osfan chick. I recall him mentioning that since he isn't getting what he wants he was stepping away....guess that's changed...of course i said i've lost interest in this winter and yet here I am. Snow is an incredible drug

We’re talking about two different things. Remember when I made that comment the GFS and UKMET were showing a 6-10” snowstorm across our area by digging a NS feature and partially phasing.  It was a significant synoptic event.  I said unfortunately given the pattern the more progressive solutions on other guidance was more likely.  My point was we would likely see convergence on the correct synoptic solution around 100 hours and after that only minor adjustments.  I think at one point I even said “if we want a SIGNIFICANT snowstorm we do not want to see the Gfs/uk to trend toward the euro around 100 because then that idea is likely off the table.  I was talking about the 6-10” major synoptic event that involved some steam phasing and the multiple vort interactions they were showing at that time. 

IMO we did see that. The uk and Gfs lost the phasing idea and fell in line. And that is still the correct synoptic setup. The coastal is really a non factor.  

I know we can see minor changes inside 100. A lot of my 1-3” snows up here aren’t even on the radar until inside 48. I got 1” in December and it wasn’t even talked about and didn’t pop up on guidance until inside 24 hours. The thought it could was there earlier but nothing actually had it.  But I’m not here to try to track some discreet vort that squeezes out an unexpected 2” or some jet streak induced meso band from medium or long range. Imo that’s kinda a waste of time.

I think my comment 3 days ago was misunderstood. I don’t hate a 1-3” snow.  I post pics of minor events here all the time. I just am not tracking it.  Even in the absolute worst dreg years the lowest snow total we can get up here is about 10”. We will get several 1-3” storms every winter no matter how bad. They just happen. Often without much advance notice. And I enjoy them in the moment. But I’m not spending 10 days watching every model run for them.  But that’s just me. I have no issue if others want to try to track a minor meso scale event!  Go for it!  If they have success they are better at this then I am!  

Can we see major synoptic changes inside 100. Sure. But it’s rare. Looking back over the last 7 years since the resolution upgrades started happening on the global systems, we just don’t see them go off on major tangents inside 100 much anymore. It’s like 10% or less.  The Gfs was still prone to crazy runs in close but the recent upgrades seem to have helped it also. Yea we see one run each cycle go off sometime. A single uk run. A single Gfs. The ggem. And that trips some up sometimes. They see one outlier and think “here comes the trend”. But if you know to ignore the outlier fluke each cycle the consensus forecast for major synoptic features has been amazingly accurate inside 100 hours lately. I’m sure eventually there will be a huge bust again but the odds seem low enough that watching every run with baited breath in anticipation of said change seems pretty emotionally draining to me. 

• Thanks 1

And to the west...

Rockingham-Western Highland-Eastern Highland-
Northern Virginia Blue Ridge-Hardy-Western Pendleton-
Eastern Pendleton-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
1 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches,
  with up to 6 inches locally.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and western Virginia and eastern
  West Virginia.

Frankly Im absolutely amazed at how good the guidance has gotten. The waves last week are a perfect example.  Yea exactly where the ice would be shifted some because pinning down if the surface would be 30 v 35 from several days is crazy to expect. But the globals converged on the rain snow line running somewhere through southern VT from 7 days out then never wavered at all. I was paying attention because I was planning to ski up there. They absolutely nailed the major Synoptics of a progressive wave from 7 days!  That would have been unheard of just 5-10 years ago. 

• Like 4

The Gfs is way too broad with that band. It’s a function of its lack of resolution compared to some other guidance. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong wrt where it places it. But it won’t be as broad and uniform. The high res are right in their interpretation of what that will look like regardless of where it ends up. Placing a banding feature like this isn’t something that’s high confidence. In a more typical situation we don’t even try until nowcast. Unfortunately that’s the whole deal here so…

• Like 1

The Gfs is way too broad with that band. It’s a function of its lack of resolution compared to some other guidance. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong wrt where it places it. But it won’t be as broad and uniform. The high res are right in their interpretation of what that will look like regardless of where it ends up. Placing a banding feature like this isn’t something that’s high confidence. In a more typical situation we don’t even try until nowcast. Unfortunately that’s the whole deal here so…

The output on the GFS is reminding me of last week’s ‘ice storm.’

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It has been off for the past few storms on important details, even inside 36 hours. The storm 2 weeks ago it still had my yard getting 10-12" just before game time, while every other model was 5-6 with the heavier snow east. In this case it has been persistent with high end advisory/low end warning snowfall across this area. No other model shows that, and, IT'S NOT HAPPENING!

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

It has been off for the past few storms on important details, even inside 36 hours. The storm 2 weeks ago it still had my yard getting 10-12" just before game time, while every other model was 5-6 with the heavier snow east. In this case it has been persistent with high end advisory/low end warning snowfall across this area. No other model shows that, and, IT'S NOT HAPPENING!

It was funny that people were giving the GFS king status so often, when in reality it was just the euro being non-king like altering their perception. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

One thing we've fought consistently ever since things got going in early Jan is extremely small areas good lift and qpf. It's all little frontogen, jet streaks, or upglide stuff in very small target zones. Drilling down 2+ days in advance is just an exercise in watching noise and letting your brain fill in trends and blanks when there may not be any. I'm done tracking 50mi wide swaths until nowcast time. ROI sucks otherwise. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic