Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 12/13 Event Quest for Blues to Envelop More Rather Than Less

North Balti Zen

28 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The one place that has a better chance for heavier snow is the higher terrain of western VA. Most of the guidance has it, and it seems the upper jet streak, localized vorticity/ terrain effects all coincide there.

The favorable location of the right rear quadrant(entrance) of the upper jet is really the key element for producing a period of snow for our area.

1644750000-8kPlYnTUMWs.png

Was reading last night that the most divergence occurs in the right entrance and left exit regions of a jet stream with the highest divergence on the north side. That would be the left exit region in this case would it not?

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Was reading last night that the most divergence occurs in the right entrance and left exit regions of a jet stream with the highest divergence on the north side. That would be the left exit region in this case would it not?

You have to visualize it from the perspective of an air parcel entering the jet. Might help to go to 250 mb wind and hit play or scroll back and forth. Then flip to the precip panels and see what's happening at the surface and when. 

Looking good for mby and Augusta county in general:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAYAFTERNOON... 

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches is expected, with locally up to 8 inches possible. 

* WHERE...Augusta and Nelson Counties, and Central Virginia Blue Ridge. 

* WHEN...From late tonight through Sunday afternoon. 

* IMPACTS...Plan on hazardous travel due to the potential for accumulating snow on roadways. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation arrives before midnight as a rain/snow mix before becoming all snow during the overnight hours. Snow could become heavy at times Sunday morning. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation. &&

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Looking good for mby and Augusta county in general:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAYAFTERNOON... 

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches is expected, with locally up to 8 inches possible. 

* WHERE...Augusta and Nelson Counties, and Central Virginia Blue Ridge. 

* WHEN...From late tonight through Sunday afternoon. 

* IMPACTS...Plan on hazardous travel due to the potential for accumulating snow on roadways. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation arrives before midnight as a rain/snow mix before becoming all snow during the overnight hours. Snow could become heavy at times Sunday morning. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation. &&

Bring 50-75 miles west for us in WV (Snowshoe) maybe with that Jet Streak + Elevation we can all get into the game !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

@WinterWxLuvr

I will use the 6z 12km NAM as an example- It is snowing pretty good in your area at this point.

jet.thumb.png.a67e34b28464772574eaa7f298f74800.png

I wasn’t saying you were wrong. Actually last night I was thinking about how sometimes on the backside of systems you get these impressive deform bands and then was looking at your comment on the jet streak. So I started reading and what I read in several places was that the two regions that have the best lift are the right entrance and left exit. It also said the best lift was in the left exit and I thought that might explain those deforms.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic