• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Texas/Oklahoma Discussion & Obs Thread 2022

Wildfires in NW Oklahoma today. I don’t think I’ve had any rain here in Moore in a month. There were a few days in July with scattered storms west and north of here, but that’s about it. Either 7-10 split or they fizzled before making it here. Barely any rain since the start of June. 

11 hours ago, Quincy said:

Wildfires in NW Oklahoma today. I don’t think I’ve had any rain here in Moore in a month. There were a few days in July with scattered storms west and north of here, but that’s about it. Either 7-10 split or they fizzled before making it here. Barely any rain since the start of June. 

You guys in OK should get some pretty decent rain this weekend.

Meanwhile, Texas looks to stay largely hot & dry, except for maybe areas in the Arklatex region and along the Red River.

No rain again my house, but fifth day of random storms popping up, drifting erratically, then dying.  Drops yesterday and thunder, not enough to wet the sidewalk.  But the anvils last long after the storms die, Houston was only 1 degree above normal 2 days ago, was 95*F, exactly normal, yesterday. Few people getting the rain, but those that do are getting 1 to 2 inches. IAH and HOU both have had measurable precip since the ridge shifted a bit.

July 2022 stats for DFW (hot *AND* dusty!):

*2nd warmest on record (average of 91.8°F).

*2nd driest on record (only a T of precipitation).

*Tied with 1998 for 2nd warmest average maximum on record (102.4°F).

*Warmest average minimum on record (81.1°F).

*4th greatest number of 100°F+ highs on record (27).

23 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

During 1961-1990, about one-in-five days saw the temperature reach or exceed 90 in Galveston. Now, approximately seven-in-ten reach 90 or above. There has been a dramatic shift in the distribution of high temperatures in August.

image.jpeg.5911df2655cd513e1066367aa02d34aa.jpeg

I don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg, but with SSTs almost 90*F (buoy 42035 not reporting 1 meter water temps), but the jetty and the amusement park Pleasure Pier are 89* ATM), it is easy to see why Galveston has been so warm.  IAH has been 99*F on the hour last three hours, but with an Easterly wave moving in from Louisiana tomorrow, 60% rain chances at IAH and forecast 94*F would be first below normal temp I can remember for at least a month, and a 30% chance at CLL.  Aggieland got 0.01 inches for July after 0.1 inches in June, and grass fires have started around there, Dallas and Austin.   If there is no rain, when late September cold front season starts, with strong and gusty winds follow the fronts, it'll be back to 2011.

• Like 1

It was mentioned in the HGX AFD, abnormally high upper level RH might lead to thick anvils from the storms that formed, and prevent more widespread coverage.  Solid cloud cover, occasional drops of rain when I was walking, but only a few thunderstorms in the area.  IAH made it to 94* at noon, but has since dropped into the upper 70s.  94* is a degree below normal.

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

At last, our dry streak has ended. It's been raining hard as hell for a good minute.

Eyeball tree swaying, semi-calibrated to obs in past episodes, may have had the first severe t-storm of 2022 in HOU.  Was under a t-storm, later upgraded to a tornado warning (based on rotation on radar and storm movement, my house should NOT have been in the polygon), a minute or two no power during a storm, and then a few more minutes over an hour later when it was light rain and occasional thunder, maybe repairs near where power failed.  1960 and TX249 lost power for a prolonged period when my wife was helping my son buy football gear.  (He'll have close to an associates degree of AP and Dual Credit classes, but wants a football scholarship, but unless it is Rice, he isn't big enough for OL/TE)  18Z ICON actually spins up a 1006 mb TC landfalling in Houston in 4 1/2 days, no reliable models support, including GEFS and ECENS.

Genuine DFW style severe storm in my part of Houston.  Tree damage, ominous when it was moving in, non-stop lightning.  Winds was moving my car at stop lights.  Seabreeze storms to the S I could see as the big show moved in from the North, honest to goodness striated storm, I got home, a funnel was reported near LaPorte.  Still picture on TV, it could have been scud.  But the stuff that only happens in the Plains, and a striated sea breeze storm?  The front here is from the North with the front.

• Like 1