• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

<br />I got like 16&quot; from that April 1996 storm....we had gotten about 5-6&quot; two days prior starting Easter Sunday evening. <br /><br />That was the storm that set the all time record for snowfall here....before it, we still hadn't beaten 1992-1993.<br />
<br /><br />My heart was broken that I would not exceed 100 after that rocking year then this popped up with two days warning and it was touch and go. I was fishing in the AM with gray clouds cool, got caught upstream in a dumper, long cold boat trip back as it was pouring dendrites, loving every minute of it. When I broke one hundred I was doing shots right and left making snow angels and just being stupid, sickness

<br /><br />My heart was broken that I would not exceed 100 after that rocking year then this popped up with two days warning and it was touch and go. I was fishing in the AM with gray clouds cool, got caught upstream in a dumper, long cold boat trip back as it was pouring dendrites, loving every minute of it. When I broke one hundred I was doing shots right and left making snow angels and just being stupid, sickness

It was a great storm. Amazing to think we'd get an even better April storm just one year later.

I've been quite lucky in my time here even though I'm a lot younger than many (though I'm realizing I'm definitely getting older too with all the ppl on here now who don't even recall Dec 92 or the '95-'96 winter).....I've been fortunate to experience ORH's top 4 winters and also their top 2 snowstorms on record. Also nine 18"+ events since 1992....nine....pretty sweet.

I got like 16" from that April 1996 storm....we had gotten about 5-6" two days prior starting Easter Sunday evening.

That was the storm that set the all time record for snowfall here....before it, we still hadn't beaten 1992-1993.

I had 6" in the first one and 8" in the 2nd.....finished the season with a record 127.5".

The Dec 5-7 event is still fascinating to me. The CF was practically n-s in that event so that it crushed Bob in Middleboro, but kind of screwed me. 8 miles to my west had 2'. I had 5.5" or so from the first burst, than about 2" or so of mash potatoes which were mixed with rain at times....it literally was like a 34-35F ra/sn mix for hours, before flipping to 5" of powder. It was much less right at the water, and much more just to the west. Big variation in the same town. My ex probably only had like 5" total on the ground down in Green Harbor, while I had about 8-9" on the ground after compaction. No power for two days as the mash potatoes and 60mph winds took out a lot of trees. There was actually quite a bit of tree damage in the area.

I got like 16" from that April 1996 storm....we had gotten about 5-6" two days prior starting Easter Sunday evening.

That was the storm that set the all time record for snowfall here....before it, we still hadn't beaten 1992-1993.

Are there any good snowfall maps of the Easter event? I seem to remember us getting about 10" from that, and it came on very quickly. We had gone to dinner with my wife's (fiancee at that time) family in Orange and when we went to the cars it was hard to see. Very tough drive back to Gardner.

The storm a couple days later was nice. What a winter.

Your posts are all jacked up. This stuff pops up in almost every quoted reply you do.

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

:axe:

Makes your posts difficult to read.

No fooking s h it, think I like it? been appealing to Wow for days now. before we buy the WRF model we should get the site working on all platforms.

9.6" I believe...somehow the airport came in with 6.2" but you can clearly see from the pics that it was a lot more than that.

From about 9A to 3P, that 1/14/08 radar had the nicest "banana" of 30-35 dbz curving from west of Sebago thru LEW and AUG to lower Penobscot Bay. It remained nearly stationary (the heavy precip area) for about 6 hr. AUG got 10" between 9:30 A and 2 P, at which time I headed to Farmington in 0.1 mile vis, because my wife had gotten rear-ended near home and then a meatwagon ride to the hosp. (She was fine except for back pain; fortunately all the sternum clips installed 3 months earlier during her bypass op held together.) The banana's north edge just grazed MBY - right when the accident occurred - for 8", while Farmington had only moderate SN and 5.5". Largest accum I found was 15.9" in Bridgton. GYX had 15".

I know I've pimped these out before, but my April Fool's pics from eastern.

Thanks, CoastalWx. If you hadn't, I was going to ask. Those are my favorite of all snow pics I've viewed here ("here" includes Eastern, of course), with LEK's monster snowblitz pics from 2006 or '07 as chief competition.

Your map Will

42d4d0aa-94fb-889e.jpg

I couldn't see the new and improved version of this, but I was living in Somers, CT around 300' at the time and this truely had the greatest gradient I've seen. I had 3.2" by the time everything was done but just a few miles east of me there was 12-14" around 900'. The amounts rose dramatically from there in Union, CT and I remember measuring 32-35" in the morning as my brother and I drove to the coast to check out the waves there. I'd have to check my weather record but I thought I had measured around 37" in Union when we were driving back home in the afternoon. I rank this as one of my favorite storms even though I got screwed at my house.

I couldn't see the new and improved version of this, but I was living in Somers, CT around 300' at the time and this truely had the greatest gradient I've seen. I had 3.2" by the time everything was done but just a few miles east of me there was 12-14" around 900'. The amounts rose dramatically from there in Union, CT and I remember measuring 32-35" in the morning as my brother and I drove to the coast to check out the waves there. I'd have to check my weather record but I thought I had measured around 37" in Union when we were driving back home in the afternoon. I rank this as one of my favorite storms even though I got screwed at my house.

Wow, nice.

I remember the wind and waves down at the water with like 24 hours of -RAPL. It was awful but a very exciting storm to watch.

The pics of the flooding in CT were impressive. It's hard to imagine coastal flooding that bad from e-ne winds.

I actually never made it to the CT coast because I didn't think the wave action would be that good. We went to Hull, a place I had never been before, and it turned out to be great place to see the ocean swells and huge waves crashing right on the sea wall.

This was the first real big storm that happened after I got out of college and I remember everyone looking to me for info and I spent a lot of time gathering data in the pre-Internet days (even though I went to school for Met I've always worked in the IT business). I had an old radio fax machine that I dusted off so I could get charts. I was up late on Saturday looking at data and my brother came home from work and wanted to do some storm chasing so we headed out. It was great storm to chase....better than the March '93 storm I think.

I actually never made it to the CT coast because I didn't think the wave action would be that good. We went to Hull, a place I had never been before, and it turned out to be great place to see the ocean swells and huge waves crashing right on the sea wall.

This was the first real big storm that happened after I got out of college and I remember everyone looking to me for info and I spent a lot of time gathering data in the pre-Internet days (even though I went to school for Met I've always worked in the IT business). I had an old radio fax machine that I dusted off so I could get charts. I was up late on Saturday looking at data and my brother came home from work and wanted to do some storm chasing so we headed out. It was great storm to chase....better than the March '93 storm I think.

Hull is a good place for storms. That peninsula sticks right out into Boston Harbor. It must have been pretty wild.

Just curiously peaking through the SNE trip down memory lane thread here. Does anybody have a loop of that 12/9/2005 thundersnow epic comma band that annihilated you guys? I remember being amazed watching that unfold from down in NJ where we got a little thump of our own.

Check it out. You can download the powerpoint presentation from David Vallee and the radar loop is on there. Check out the Jan '05 radar loop too if you'd like.

http://www.sneweatherconf.org/2006presentations.shtml

Just curiously peaking through the SNE trip down memory lane thread here. Does anybody have a loop of that 12/9/2005 thundersnow epic comma band that annihilated you guys? I remember being amazed watching that unfold from down in NJ where we got a little thump of our own.

12/9/05 is almost sacred weather ground up here. :lol:

almost like in the movie Twister when the lady asks what an F5 would be like and the whole table goes silent.