• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

Will, maybe you could use the one from Jan 26-27 also, I remember some rotation was detected a few miles south of here on radar just as the second part of the storm got going and there was loud booming thunder and vivid lightning along with thundersleet that eventually changed to thundersnow. It actually did feel like it was hailing as the sleet was marble size and I actually think real hail was reported with this storm (weird to have hail and sleet together along with a possible tornado in a winter storm lol.)

1/27 was a really fun storm. It was the fastest of the 3, but it was exceptionally dynamic.

2zhjgu8.jpg

2a6uyb9.jpg

That's an awesome pic. We had some great looking storms last year. Very classic mid-level features on those three of 12/26, 1/12, and 1/27. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more SW flow events this coming winter.

That's an awesome pic. We had some great looking storms last year. Very classic mid-level features on those three of 12/26, 1/12, and 1/27. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more SW flow events this coming winter.

Even with a weaker la nina and a neg nao Will? I thought weak la ninas were supposed to be great for coastals.

Even with a weaker la nina and a neg nao Will? I thought weak la ninas were supposed to be great for coastals.

-QBO and cold ENSO events tend to have more SW flow events than other winters according to my research looking back. Obviously it doesn't mean there can't be coastals though. '00-'01 was an example with a lot of coastals.

-QBO and cold ENSO events tend to have more SW flow events than other winters according to my research looking back. Obviously it doesn't mean there can't be coastals though. '00-'01 was an example with a lot of coastals.

What other examples do we have of cold ENSO/-QBO/-PDO?

How do winters like 74-75 and 83-84 compare?

Those winters give a pretty cold picture nationally, especially in the Northern Tier, definitely related to the gradient you have mentioned:

post-475-0-43319400-1310619338.png

Yeah. No guarantees it works like that this year though of course. '05-'06 had several SW flow events but it also had the Feb '06 coastal. We already know about '00-'01 and its several coastal storms. '83-'84 had several SW flow events (esp in Dec '83)...'74-75 and '70-'71 had a ton. '62-'63 not so many, but one or two.

I honestly really enjoy that 6 inch or so event here in metrowest at the end of February...I had just returned home from Utah and hadn't been paying attention to the weather and Sunday morning I woke up to four inches on the ground with snow falling. Sometimes its nice not to over-analyze like we do here.

I honestly really enjoy that 6 inch or so event here in metrowest at the end of February...I had just returned home from Utah and hadn't been paying attention to the weather and Sunday morning I woke up to four inches on the ground with snow falling. Sometimes its nice not to over-analyze like we do here.

Its what we do

Will, maybe you could use the one from Jan 26-27 also, I remember some rotation was detected a few miles south of here on radar just as the second part of the storm got going and there was loud booming thunder and vivid lightning along with thundersleet that eventually changed to thundersnow. It actually did feel like it was hailing as the sleet was marble size and I actually think real hail was reported with this storm (weird to have hail and sleet together along with a possible tornado in a winter storm lol.)

Weird, indeed. Midcoast Maine had two tornados (EF1 and EF0) on Thanksgiving, 2005, during a rather modest storm, 2-5" most places with some mixing along tidewater.

'07-'08, '05-'06, '00-'01, '83-'84, '74-75, '70-'71, '62-'63, '56-'57.

83-84 is an example of a very cold and somewhat dry winter (I dont remember there being much snow but there was a ton of cold).... somewhat El Chichon influenced perhaps? I remember it showed up in some of the ENSO analogs posted in the NYC subforum.

Yeah. No guarantees it works like that this year though of course. '05-'06 had several SW flow events but it also had the Feb '06 coastal. We already know about '00-'01 and its several coastal storms. '83-'84 had several SW flow events (esp in Dec '83)...'74-75 and '70-'71 had a ton. '62-'63 not so many, but one or two.

83-84 also had the notable March 1984 storm which would be quite a way to end a relatively snowless stretch of Marches we've had recently. Was that a bookend winter, Will? I know January was very cold (we had several very cold Januarys back in the early and mid 80s) but relatively dry.

83-84 also had the notable March 1984 storm which would be quite a way to end a relatively snowless stretch of Marches we've had recently. Was that a bookend winter, Will? I know January was very cold (we had several very cold Januarys back in the early and mid 80s) but relatively dry.

That was a cold and solid winter for here. December 1983 had a couple good SW flow events that gave some good snow followed by those brutal arctic outbreaks. February 1984 was a dud though...it was an absolute torch with little snow. December, January, and March were very wintry months that season though.

The storm you are thinking of is the March 28-29, 1984 storm. It gave 17.6" of snow here. Extremely dynamic storm with a lot of thundersnow in the Boston suburbs and wind gusts over hurricane force. (Blue Hill had a gust over 100mph) Perfect way to end a winter.

That was a cold and solid winter for here. December 1983 had a couple good SW flow events that gave some good snow followed by those brutal arctic outbreaks. February 1984 was a dud though...it was an absolute torch with little snow. December, January, and March were very wintry months that season though.

The storm you are thinking of is the March 28-29, 1984 storm. It gave 17.6" of snow here. Extremely dynamic storm with a lot of thundersnow in the Boston suburbs and wind gusts over hurricane force. (Blue Hill had a gust over 100mph) Perfect way to end a winter.

Wow Will, it sounds like a mini Fools Day storm!

Don't forget about this little guy.

post-33-0-14196700-1310674805.gif

post-33-0-66984400-1310674815.gif

That was a very nice little clipper/redeveloper. That gave a pretty nice area of 6-8" of snow, even some 9" lollis. I love those types of systems...you can sort of see them coming a couple days out and as it gets closer, the models keep increasing qpf as they try and blow it up as it exits stage right.

That was a very nice little clipper/redeveloper. That gave a pretty nice area of 6-8" of snow, even some 9" lollis. I love those types of systems...you can sort of see them coming a couple days out and as it gets closer, the models keep increasing qpf as they try and blow it up as it exits stage right.

It had a nice negative tilt to it showing up in the OV... I like to look for that for NJ model lows.

Lived in Ft. Kent then, and our March storm came on 14-15 after 10 days of mid-Jan cold. 26.5" (CAR had 29.0", their record until the 12/25-27/05 stall-out) with 65" OG - 80" up in the woods, each the most I've measured - IMBY/anywhere, respectively. (The 28-29 event never got to N.Maine.) We had 16" LE in Nov-Dec, and probably more than half of it was still on the ground on 12/31, with more piling up each week, except for the last half of Feb, when our 59" snowpack settled to 35" - not much melted.

After the big March storm my snowpack held 16" LE, and I'm guessing the much deeper and equally solid snow NW of Allagash might've had 20". Unlike 2008, no April rain = no flooding that spring.