Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Unfortunately I could only find clips for this storm in your area. (Pgh was kinda screwed, while State College got 2 ft)

Anybody remember this storm. ( 3/1/94-3/3/94 ) It appears ORH did ok.

Yeah I remember that storm well...we had about 12-13" in ORH. That system had pretty strong winds. I do remember hearing about the huge snows in central PA. PA had the huge storm in January too of that winter.

The videos of the Blizzard of 2015 Coverage is awesome.  I hate how Harvey and Mike didn't update the snow fall graphic every time news came in of the Outer Cape getting over 24", Harwich came in at 30.4" officially, but you know how banding is, I measured 32" in my front yard.  I live in Harwich Center, there has to be a residual front between Harwich and Chatham.

16 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Coldest storm I've ever been in. We had heavy snow and -1F at one point. Think we made it to -3F while the steady snow was still falling. 

Only a couple inches of dust up here, but most fell at -8 to -12.  I preferred 2/2/205 - 5F less cold but 7.5" with near-blizz conditions. 
(Coldest I've ever seen for accumulating snow - not much, only 0.5" - was -25 on 1/4/1981 in Ft. Kent.)

16 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Coldest storm I've ever been in. We had heavy snow and -1F at one point. Think we made it to -3F while the steady snow was still falling. 

Not a storm, but this was pretty impressive.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORH/1962/12/31/DailyHistory.html?req_city=KORH&req_state=MA&req_statename=Massachusetts&reqdb.zip=01602&reqdb.magic=12&reqdb.wmo=99999

Happy New Year

METAR KORH 311000Z 27021KT 1/2SM -SN -BLSN OVC/// M24/M25 A//// RMK SLP916 T12391250

49 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not a storm, but this was pretty impressive.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORH/1962/12/31/DailyHistory.html?req_city=KORH&req_state=MA&req_statename=Massachusetts&reqdb.zip=01602&reqdb.magic=12&reqdb.wmo=99999

Happy New Year

METAR KORH 311000Z 27021KT 1/2SM -SN -BLSN OVC/// M24/M25 A//// RMK SLP916 T12391250

Possibly the strongest winds I've ever experienced came on that date, gusts probably near 70 on a day with temps -8/5, pretty Arctic for NNJ.  The wind tipped 2-ft diam. oaks out of semi-frozen ground, shattered plate glass windows, nearly ripped 10" of black ice from the nearby reservoir (lots got crumpled onto the lee shore), and created 6-ft drifts from the 2" of wet snow that fell late on 12/29.  Only the 1950 Apps gale can rival it for winds I've felt, with Hazel, Doria (both in NNJ) and Bob (in Gardiner) a step down.  And it was definitely a storm, but to the north.  BGR had 29.5" and Old Town/Orono 40"+, with 60 mph winds and temps that cycled from below zero to near freezing and back again.   NNJ was just getting the cyclonic flow behind the blizzard.
"The Storm That Ate Bangor" 

13 hours ago, uncle W said:

the Maine blizzard at the ned of December 62 missed NYC with the snow but not the wind and cold...

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1962/12/31/page/1/article/high-winds-record-snow-zero-cold-batter-east

NYC's strongest Dec winds on record, and their max that day was 13.  The day before, the Giants and Packers played for the NFL championship at Yankee Stadium in conditions that rivaled the famed "Ice Bowl" at Lambeau a few years later.  Temps were 25F less cold at YS but the 50-60 gusts made up for that.  Poor Y.A. Tittle couldn't run his vaunted passing offense at all (Giants' only score was from blocking a punt) while Jerry Kramer was only 3-of-5 for FG from inside 40 yards (and probably did well in gauging the wind to make even 3.)

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

NYC's strongest Dec winds on record, and their max that day was 13.  The day before, the Giants and Packers played for the NFL championship at Yankee Stadium in conditions that rivaled the famed "Ice Bowl" at Lambeau a few years later.  Temps were 25F less cold at YS but the 50-60 gusts made up for that.  Poor Y.A. Tittle couldn't run his vaunted passing offense at all (Giants' only score was from blocking a punt) while Jerry Kramer was only 3-of-5 for FG from inside 40 yards (and probably did well in gauging the wind to make even 3.)

I just started watching football in 1962...YA was the man for two years...the Giants had a great team but were out coached in the playoffs...1962 was the first year I did weather obs...it was the first year the four seasons meant something other than the weather...

October 4, 1987

Not SNE, but a great event from 30 years ago today when I lived south of Albany, next to I-90 just over the border from Mass. in Old Chatham, NY.  Cars were stranded and I was going back and forth up the hill with gas for people.  One of my all time favorite events as it occurred less than 2 weeks after summer ended and we ended up having no school for the entire week (storm was Saturday into Sunday).  Although, that winter was fairly crappy after that, and since then never wanted to see another October snow storm, thinking that it meant there would be minimal snow for the remainder of the year. 

Video:

http://wnyt.com/news/steve-scoville-report-on-october-4-1987-snowstorm/4623650/

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

October 4, 1987

Not SNE, but a great event from 30 years ago today when I lived south of Albany, next to I-90 just over the border from Mass. in Old Chatham, NY.  Cars were stranded and I was going back and forth up the hill with gas for people.  One of my all time favorite events as it occurred less than 2 weeks after summer ended and we ended up having no school for the entire week (storm was Saturday into Sunday).  Although, that winter was fairly crappy after that, and since then never wanted to see another October snow storm, thinking that it meant there would be minimal snow for the remainder of the year. 

Video:

http://wnyt.com/news/steve-scoville-report-on-october-4-1987-snowstorm/4623650/

We took a trip south in April 1988 to visit family in VA, and the tree damage along I-84 at the higher elevations of Duchess County was catastrophic.  IMO, it was worse, though less widespread, than the breakage along I-84/90 in CT/MA from the 2011 Octobomb (which also presaged a crummy winter for snow.)

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We took a trip south in April 1988 to visit family in VA, and the tree damage along I-84 at the higher elevations of Duchess County was catastrophic.  IMO, it was worse, though less widespread, than the breakage along I-84/90 in CT/MA from the 2011 Octobomb (which also presaged a crummy winter for snow.)

I don't recall the event in April 88.

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I don't recall the event in April 88.

No, he was saying you could see how bad the tree damage was from the Oct '87 storm during his April '88 trip. I'm sure it took a couple years for it not to be really noticeable. (though for a tree expert like tamarack, he can probably notice that stuff a decade later)

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

No, he was saying you could see how bad the tree damage was from the Oct '87 storm during his April '88 trip. I'm sure it took a couple years for it not to be really noticeable. (though for a tree expert like tamarack, he can probably notice that stuff a decade later)

Idiot me.

lYeah. Full foliage, and tons of tree damage.  Roads were still being cleared 3 -4 weeks later.  I suppose it's pretty comparable to the damage in CT a few years back during the October storm.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, I'm pretty anal about that stuff, have no problem spotting damage from the 1998 ice storm in central Maine, though it's getting harder to do when the leaves are full. 

And there was an "event" for the April, 1988 trip, though the above is right on target, of course.  We were leaving early on 4/16, and the evening before, Altitude Lou was calling for perhaps 2-4 inches "but only sticking on grassy surfaces."  As we headed out, on highway tires (our studded snows would've been illegal by then in VA/DC) there was 4-5" OG with SN+ that we did not escape until south of PWM, and those "grassy surfaces" included I-295, though many vehicles were actually out on the grass.  :o   We hit 8 different states on the way to a friend's place in NJ near the Delaware Water Gap, and saw falling snow in 7, all but the short stretch of NH.  One more bit of April fun involving NJ - we visited this same friend in 1983, just in time for the 11" on 4/19.  Three years later, she had moved to the place near the Gap, and we had 13" of NW-wind deformation band paste on 4/23.  We began to wonder if we'd ever be allowed back into NJ during April.