Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

There are a lot of buns being tossed in this thread...

We all realized a couple days ago it is better to toss weenies and buns around in this thread than to try and steer Jose into our backyards in the tropical thread. I always sort of feel like I'm pretending a 7-9 team is playoff bound when I do that only to realize I was deluding myself the whole time. That 30 point win over the Browns just wasn't what it seemed. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We all realized a couple days ago it is better to toss weenies and buns around in this thread than to try and steer Jose into our backyards in the tropical thread. I always sort of feel like I'm pretending a 7-9 team is playoff bound when I do that only to realize I was deluding myself the whole time. That 30 point win over the Browns just wasn't what it seemed. 

Much like the Patriots, we just play better when there is snow in the air.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Much like the Patriots, we just play better when there is snow in the air.

How we do weather in New England:

Winter wx events = patriots

backdoor coldfronts = '27 Yankees

tropical threats = Bruins

High end severe threats = Bobby Valentine Red Sox  

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is New England masquerading as OK during the warm season. If you squint hard enough those could be 7+ lapse rates.

jd89FWD.jpg

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't know what the hell happened to them, but I need to tear my parent's house apart for some good weenie pics I had of 93-94 and 95-96 winters. Back when OceanStWx was being bottle fed still.

Those were the glory days of snow forts in the driveway. And '94 I could skate to school without falling through the crust on the snow after those Feb ice events.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, I forgot what it was like to have a great hurricane season....I have hardly even looked at the winter yet.

I'm used to being balls deep in theories by now....late start.

September has flown by for once-

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Those were the glory days of snow forts in the driveway. And '94 I could skate to school without falling through the crust on the snow after those Feb ice events.

Going way back, and beyond SNE, we had conditions like that while I was home on semester break in Jan. 1965.  NYC temps/precip below (Our NNJ area ran 5-10F colder than the city in winter):

1/23/65    47   24   0.64"   1.0"    0   (High @ 12:01 AM, low @ 11:59 PM.  Depth taken at noon, so none yet.)
1/24/65    32   24   0.51"   2.2"    3"   (Hi-lo just the opposite times as yesterday.)

A major Grinch on Dec. 25-27 had stripped the lake of what had been safe ice, so I was eager to go ice fishing that Saturday morning.  Temps during the rainy overnight had dropped from 40s thru the 30s, and P-type went to IP during breakfast, with moderate pellet-pelting thru the day, but the fishing was good.  Overnight the temp moved back into the 20s, and soon after I set the traps, P-type switched to ZR, which continued thru the day with about 0.3" accretion.  (Also made a mess of my topwater traps.)  By mid afternoon I had to put on the creepers to get around safely, not unusual on the ice.  However, I also needed them to walk up thru the woods to our house, and that was a first.  Even a heel-stomp had no effect, other than pain in the foot.  Next day the neighbor kids were skating around in their back yard. 

98 Yankees were better all around than 27.

Better pitching in '98; much more dominant hitting in '27.  Take your pick.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Going way back, and beyond SNE, we had conditions like that while I was home on semester break in Jan. 1965.  NYC temps/precip below (Our NNJ area ran 5-10F colder than the city in winter):

1/23/65    47   24   0.64"   1.0"    0   (High @ 12:01 AM, low @ 11:59 PM.  Depth taken at noon, so none yet.)
1/24/65    32   24   0.51"   2.2"    3"   (Hi-lo just the opposite times as yesterday.)

A major Grinch on Dec. 25-27 had stripped the lake of what had been safe ice, so I was eager to go ice fishing that Saturday morning.  Temps during the rainy overnight had dropped from 40s thru the 30s, and P-type went to IP during breakfast, with moderate pellet-pelting thru the day, but the fishing was good.  Overnight the temp moved back into the 20s, and soon after I set the traps, P-type switched to ZR, which continued thru the day with about 0.3" accretion.  (Also made a mess of my topwater traps.)  By mid afternoon I had to put on the creepers to get around safely, not unusual on the ice.  However, I also needed them to walk up thru the woods to our house, and that was a first.  Even a heel-stomp had no effect, other than pain in the foot.  Next day the neighbor kids were skating around in their back yard. 

98 Yankees were better all around than 27.

Better pitching in '98; much more dominant hitting in '27.  Take your pick.

As a wise M***hole once said,   "Yankees Suck."

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That was a great storm.  Around 15" at BTV got the depth up around two feet in mid-December...which is pretty solid for that location.  

Amazing coastal front there though...you've got 14s next to 30s haha.

Dec 21, 2008 had a good one too...it was actually more impressive a couple hours before this image, but I didn't save an image for that time:

Dec21_2pmTemps.PNG

That 12/21-22/08 storm was one of the few here that had 3+ hours of blizz criteria.  Did a round trip to Farmington to deliver our son to his (then) job with Big Apple - graveyard shift - and couldn't see much over 100'.  Then it dropped to less than 50 as we were following "something" that was kicking up the pow.  Got to the stoplight in town and saw that it was a loaded log truck.  Trip took just under an hour and I came home to 2" on the porch steps I'd swept just before heading out.   Our high temps for 21-22 were 12 and 15.  Was nice to get that dump after getting fringed by the one 36 hr earlier.

22 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That 12/21-22/08 storm was one of the few here that had 3+ hours of blizz criteria.  Did a round trip to Farmington to deliver our son to his (then) job with Big Apple - graveyard shift - and couldn't see much over 100'.  Then it dropped to less than 50 as we were following "something" that was kicking up the pow.  Got to the stoplight in town and saw that it was a loaded log truck.  Trip took just under an hour and I came home to 2" on the porch steps I'd swept just before heading out.   Our high temps for 21-22 were 12 and 15.  Was nice to get that dump after getting fringed by the one 36 hr earlier.

What did you get in that one? I'd have to imagine you cleared double digits pretty easily.

That one had a pretty strong NE to SW gradient in MA due to the late explosion offshore as the storm transitioned from a classic SWFE to a full-blown coastal...areas out in SW MA had probably 2-4" while once you were up in Essex county, they had 12-14"....a lot of it falling late in the storm as the CCB started forming and gave them intense bands early that evening. I had just over 8 inches in ORH. By the time the storm was up at your latitude, it looked like a classic nor' easter on radar with bands rotating from SE to NW as the whole precip shield lifted N and NE. It was a great storm to track meteorologically-speaking. A lot of things going on like the coastal front (posted above) in addition to the rapid transitory features of the system.

The storm trended colder too every model cycle inside of 48 hours...initially as we were in the early stages of the 12/19 event, I remember thinking a lot of sleet and ZR would hit us out in ORH for 12/21....never got even close...the non-snow ptype stayed well down in SE MA...BOS a little further north did flip to plain rain on east winds about 5 hours into the event, but then flipped back to heavy snow for a couple hours before ending as the storm deepened offshore. Too bad we had that miserable rainstorm on the 24th to warp our snowpack into a frozen glacier by Christmas morning. Never can seem to escape the Grinch in the past 15 years (except maybe 2010).

12/21-22/08 brought 15.5" of 14:1 fluff, nicely windblown.  The earlier storm produced 2.1", just as was forecast for here.  Even though light, it was a pretty snowfall that lasted almost 20 hours.  It reminded me of the opening ceremony of the Lillehammer Olympics - nice flakes drifting by, enough to accumulate but not to make the roads slippery, as the modest rate allowed traffic to blow the powder onto the shoulders.

Never can seem to escape the Grinch in the past 15 years (except maybe 2010).

In 19 Decembers here, I've tracked just 4 non-Grinch holiday seasons:  2000, 2002, 2010, and 2013.  We've had 12 rainy snow-eater Grinches, and 3 years (1999, 2006, 2015) in which there was no snow for the Grinch to steal (though each of the 3 had Grinch-ey wx.) .  My temperature records show a distinct bump-up for the week 12/22-28, and 12/25 has had less cumulative snowfall than any other day of the month.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

12/21-22/08 brought 15.5" of 14:1 fluff, nicely windblown.  The earlier storm produced 2.1", just as was forecast for here.  Even though light, it was a pretty snowfall that lasted almost 20 hours.  It reminded me of the opening ceremony of the Lillehammer Olympics - nice flakes drifting by, enough to accumulate but not to make the roads slippery, as the modest rate allowed traffic to blow the powder onto the shoulders.

Never can seem to escape the Grinch in the past 15 years (except maybe 2010).

In 19 Decembers here, I've tracked just 4 non-Grinch holiday seasons:  2000, 2002, 2010, and 2013.  We've had 12 rainy snow-eater Grinches, and 3 years (1999, 2006, 2015) in which there was no snow for the Grinch to steal (though each of the 3 had Grinch-ey wx.) .  My temperature records show a distinct bump-up for the week 12/22-28, and 12/25 has had less cumulative snowfall than any other day of the month.

Yeah you got the icing event in 2013 before Christmas...whereas down here we had rain and 63F at the peak of it, though we did get backdoored down to about 30-31 and some ZR. The Christmas snowpack was mostly intact averaging about 3 inches but did have a few holes in it. Too bad, as prior to that event, we had around 16-17 inches on the ground after the clipper-redeveloper on 12/17....prob down to about 12 inches right before the Grinch storm started. 2000 and 2002 were also good down here, that latter giving us 13.5" on Christmas....only 2013 really differs.

The bar has been set though for Dec 1995...we never had any thaws basically the entire month...snowpack just kept accumulating. Although the Dec 19-20, 1995 storm was somewhat "disappointing" (about 8.5 inches when 1-2 feet was forecast), it was still within the context of a snowy month that saw the depth reach around 20 inches for Christmas. We also had mood snow for days after the Dec 20 storm as the system just rotted in the Gulf of Maine and Nova Scotia which sent moisture pinwheeling back SW, including some nice snowshowers on Christmas day. A thaw wouldn't hit that season until we reached January 17, 1996. Two days later on the 19th, one of the most horrendous cutters hit....amazing warmth aloft for that time of year with 850 temps around +12. It even produced a line of severe Tstorms in SE MA. Brockton, MA would go from a 46 inch depth on the morning of January 12th to 0.0 on January 19th...mostly thanks to that destructive cutter. We never lost all of our snowpack in ORH, but we had a similar depth on January 13th (we had snow from the 1/12/96 storm while the coast had mostly rain...thus prolonging our depth increases) in the 45" range and probably got beat down to around 8-10 inches of a pure glacier that probably was somewhere around 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you got the icing event in 2013 before Christmas...whereas down here we had rain and 63F at the peak of it, though we did get backdoored down to about 30-31 and some ZR. The Christmas snowpack was mostly intact averaging about 3 inches but did have a few holes in it. Too bad, as prior to that event, we had around 16-17 inches on the ground after the clipper-redeveloper on 12/17....prob down to about 12 inches right before the Grinch storm started. 2000 and 2002 were also good down here, that latter giving us 13.5" on Christmas....only 2013 really differs.

The bar has been set though for Dec 1995...we never had any thaws basically the entire month...snowpack just kept accumulating. Although the Dec 19-20, 1995 storm was somewhat "disappointing" (about 8.5 inches when 1-2 feet was forecast), it was still within the context of a snowy month that saw the depth reach around 20 inches for Christmas. We also had mood snow for days after the Dec 20 storm as the system just rotted in the Gulf of Maine and Nova Scotia which sent moisture pinwheeling back SW, including some nice snowshowers on Christmas day. A thaw wouldn't hit that season until we reached January 17, 1996. Two days later on the 19th, one of the most horrendous cutters hit....amazing warmth aloft for that time of year with 850 temps around +12. It even produced a line of severe Tstorms in SE MA. Brockton, MA would go from a 46 inch depth on the morning of January 12th to 0.0 on January 19th...mostly thanks to that destructive cutter. We never lost all of our snowpack in ORH, but we had a similar depth on January 13th (we had snow from the 1/12/96 storm while the coast had mostly rain...thus prolonging our depth increases) in the 45" range and probably got beat down to around 8-10 inches of a pure glacier that probably was somewhere around 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio.

Better than that, we had mostly IP, less than 0.1" of ZR.  But the 2002 reminder is painful, with our forecast 8-12" verifying at 1", while 10 miles south in Belgrade village they got the 8" and 20 miles SE of there Augusta had 15".  Ultra sharp cutoff.

That Brockton pack-vanish is amazing.  I thought Farmington's drop from 40" to 8" that month was pretty special until I saw that.  Of course, we got only light snow from the big blizz, and losing 30"+ pack in January is not supposed to happen in the Maine foothills.  That whole winter was a mix of wow! and yuck!  Easily the snowieast of our 13 winters in Gardiner (138.6", 30" more than #2 1992-93), but it pumped the brakes too much.  Dec 1-22 great, rest of month meh, Jan 1-15 with 3 snowstorms, then came the 3 torch deluges.  Feb 1-20 cold (8F BN) and fairly snowy, then two rainy thaws and +13 temps.  March 1-11 was 11F BN with two good snowstorms, building the pack to near 2 ft, then in 12 days it was all gone.  (No complaints about April, though.  Its 23" snow trails only 1982 and 2007 for my April records.)