• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

I have a vague memory from elementary school...walking to school in the morning it was supposed to snow 1-3, started to snow and then got heavy, we got dismissed midday and the walk home was awesome. The new forecast said 4-6. Played in the yard for a couple of hours then the flakes got really big for a few minutes and it was over. 6 inches I remember and as the sun was setting the sky cleared. A perfect little snowstorm that is the first I remember. Probably 73 or so. Dover DE.

The first biggie was 78. Still in Dover. Knew it was coming but was supposed to be like 4-8 or something. Remember waking up to rain and sleet in the middle of the night, then to snow in the morning. It snowed heavily and we had maybe 6-8 inches then it lightened up. Went to play tennis indoors with my Dad. After a couple of hours looked outside and it was raging ripping blizzarding whatever. Someone in the lobby of the tennis center turned on the radio and the metereologist said the storm had stalled and that we going to continue to get heavy snow, well over a foot. Some cars were getting buried and one of my dad's buddies car was stuck so he came home and spent the night at our house. Ended up with a solid 16 inches. That was a Monday I think and we missed the whole week of school. At that point I was hoooked. PD1 with its 25 inches followed the next year.

Somewhere I have my handwritten notes and I will attempt to find them and scan them this weekend.

What would you prefer to be repeated this year for you Jan 05 or Dec 05?

oh jan '05 without question.

dec. 05 was an amazing experience. but 30" of snow and 70 mph winds is hard to vote against.

dec. 05 i only got about 1.5" of snow....and the wind....as ridiculous as it was...was in and out in a matter of minutes. almost what i imagine it would be like to have a tornado i guess.

oh jan '05 without question.

dec. 05 was an amazing experience. but 30" of snow and 70 mph winds is hard to vote against.

dec. 05 i only got about 1.5" of snow....and the wind....as ridiculous as it was...was in and out in a matter of minutes. almost what i imagine it would be like to have a tornado i guess.

Yeah I figured :)

Nice year for you!

good question. i'm not sure.

depends on what qualifies too. i'm pretty sure we had some light OES early in the decade that didn't stick but was festive enough.

The only year I can think of is maybe you got some OES with the December 2000 cold outbreak just before Xmas. Then you go back to 1998 and 1995...not sure if you had a white Christmas in 1989. 2004 was a day late in coming in. :lol:

I'll have to look for my White Christmas snow probability map I have somewhere on the comp.

i remember opening up my deck door during the 92' nor'easter and being in awe at the wind ...i think i stared out there for a full minute or two......then when i woke up i was happy when i saw the measly 3 inches or so in raynham, ma......until i turned on the weather....and everyone else was buried. very cool to ride out to diamon hill that afternoon and i was shocked how in the parking lot there was a good 18 inches at the base of the hill. i was like WTF.....and craved elevation ever since.

also i remember not sure what year ....but sometime in the mid 90's 94-96....maybe 97......that we have a very deep snow pack in raynham, ma (Bristol county) i think near 30 inches or so....that was cool as we had storms of over a foot in near succession.

april fools day was awesome but i was more into working out and baseball at the time and wasn't fully in weennie mode during the event. i loved the snow....but had to shovel off some dome in bridgewater raynahm of 2 feet of mashed potatoes.

storm of century (was in full weenie mode)......was salivating at NYC snowfall rates .....got about 10-11 inches then turned to sleet around 5pm then rain right after....i remember i head providence got like 3 inches in an hour the morning after and i got flurries (raynham, ma) THE WORST part was my damn neighbor was on vacation and i told him i would shovel his driveway....HOLY SH($%%! there was 4-5 inches of LITERAL ICE BLOCK then i used a damn pick axe to work on for the better part of 2 days....he then paid me like 30$ . i think i may have egged his house later that week.:scooter:

oh and not sure if WILL knows what i'm talking about based on the generalization that follows i think it was in the early to mid 90's and there was one winter morning where the temperature went from about -4 to about 38 degrees in ONE morning....and then i think it rained.....i may have cried that day.

i remember opening up my deck door during the 92' nor'easter and being in awe at the wind ...i think i stared out there for a full minute or two......then when i woke up i was happy when i saw the measly 3 inches or so in raynham, ma......until i turned on the weather....and everyone else was buried. very cool to ride out to diamon hill that afternoon and i was shocked how in the parking lot there was a good 18 inches at the base of the hill. i was like WTF.....and craved elevation ever since.

also i remember not sure what year ....but sometime in the mid 90's 94-96....maybe 97......that we have a very deep snow pack in raynham, ma (Bristol county) i think near 30 inches or so....that was cool as we had storms of over a foot in near succession.

april fools day was awesome but i was more into working out and baseball at the time and wasn't fully in weennie mode during the event. i loved the snow....but had to shovel off some dome in bridgewater raynahm of 2 feet of mashed potatoes.

storm of century (was in full weenie mode)......was salivating at NYC snowfall rates .....got about 10-11 inches then turned to sleet around 5pm then rain right after....i remember i head providence got like 3 inches in an hour the morning after and i got flurries (raynham, ma) THE WORST part was my damn neighbor was on vacation and i told him i would shovel his driveway....HOLY SH($%%! there was 4-5 inches of LITERAL ICE BLOCK then i used a damn pick axe to work on for the better part of 2 days....he then paid me like 30$ . i think i may have egged his house later that week.:scooter:

oh and not sure if WILL knows what i'm talking about based on the generalization that follows i think it was in the early to mid 90's and there was one winter morning where the temperature went from about -4 to about 38 degrees in ONE morning....and then i think it rained.....i may have cried that day.

The deep snow pack was 1996. Probably after the blizzard of '96. Even in Raynham there was probably over a foot of snow on the groun dbefore the blizzard of '96 and then you probably had over 20" in that storm on top of it.

The storm where the temp rose obscenely was probably Jan 27-28, 1994. I remember we were near 0F on the 27th and then by the morning of the 28th we hit 50F. We did get a lot of icing before the temp spiked up though from what I remember.

Some of those 94 storms were my favorite. 2 back-to-back foot storms within a week made for a nice February

That was a very good year for the valley in CT...all the overrunning events muted any downslope for them. BDL broke 90" didn't they? Even if they were inflating back then, still a huge year.

That was a very good year for the valley in CT...all the overrunning events muted any downslope for them. BDL broke 90" didn't they? Even if they were inflating back then, still a huge year.

I was in Guilford then on the shore... we were rocking that year.

Even though a few of those years look "high" one of my coworkers in the wx department lives right next to the airport and had nearly identical totals in 95-96.

Feb had the big snow on the mass east coast. There were also the larger storms that buried se mass later on in the month. Dartmouth had like 18".

That same storm actually hit CT pretty hard. You can see some bulleyes over 20" on the map there and then a much larger area of 20"+ covering the South Shore and parts of the Cape.

Thats the map that is in the Kevin Preacher pic.

i wish i had done what steve did...he wrote everything down.

there's also storms that stick with you just because of when they were. the 12/24/98 snow down here was nothing too special (6-8") but it was pretty cool to have that kind of fresh snow at xmas. actually...you were in marshfield i would think, no? so you probably did OK in that one too.

I had like 4.5" in that, but the heaviest band was about 5 miles to my south. Not bad though.

That same storm actually hit CT pretty hard. You can see some bulleyes over 20" on the map there and then a much larger area of 20"+ covering the South Shore and parts of the Cape.

Thats the map that is in the Kevin Preacher pic.

Believe it or not, I was a little disappointed in that storm. I just missed getting the good oes snow that areas like Rockland, Norwell etc had. This was in Brockton at the time. I had close to 18" in that, but the best stuff was just to my east. I remember seeing the pics from Norwell, and wondered if I would ever see 2' of snow. That's all I wanted..lol.

I was in Guilford then on the shore... we were rocking that year.

Even though a few of those years look "high" one of my coworkers in the wx department lives right next to the airport and had nearly identical totals in 95-96.

I think he had 108" in 95-96... I'll look at work when I get in. Same elevation in East Granby.