Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was just looking at some old NWS products from Mar 93. Can’t believe it’s been 30 years now.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That’s a tremendous forecast discussion.  In Philly what I most remember is that it wasn’t that cold as a storm started but the temperature dropped and we got up to about a foot of snow before sleet started mixing in. In Center City, I literally couldn’t walk in any direction facing the wind, because the sleep was slamming into my face so hard. I think we ended up with a little more than a foot but then it got very cold for a couple of days. You were probably in Hooksett then, but what were the snow totals up here? Anybody get 3 feet? 

4 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

That’s a tremendous forecast discussion.  In Philly what I most remember is that it wasn’t that cold as a storm started but the temperature dropped and we got up to about a foot of snow before sleet started mixing in. In Center City, I literally couldn’t walk in any direction facing the wind, because the sleep was slamming into my face so hard. I think we ended up with a little more than a foot but then it got very cold for a couple of days. You were probably in Hooksett then, but what were the snow totals up here? Anybody get 3 feet? 

Things were normal the next day. Impressive storm that was a LBSW with the comma head pivot point winner PA and NY

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Best obs ever for Logan. Won't be beat.

All downhill from this point. 

METAR KBOS 132300Z 06047G62KT 0SM +TSSN -BLSN OVC/// M01/M01 A2916 RMK R04RVR06-V06 TB50 SW MOVG N OCNL LTGIC DRFTG SNW PK WND 0670/33 PRESFR SNOINCR 3/10/11 SLP875 P0028 T10061006

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

All downhill from this point. 

METAR KBOS 132300Z 06047G62KT 0SM +TSSN -BLSN OVC/// M01/M01 A2916 RMK R04RVR06-V06 TB50 SW MOVG N OCNL LTGIC DRFTG SNW PK WND 0670/33 PRESFR SNOINCR 3/10/11 SLP875 P0028 T10061006

Absolute man obs.

That storm lived up to all the hype in all of the east coast states, but not at our Gardiner home as warm air aloft turned 1.70" LE into 10.3" of heavily rimed flakes, with modest winds.  Also, February had produced 4 warning criteria storms, the top 3 dumping 11" to 14.5".  However, the 31" pack on March 14 was our tallest in 13 winters there.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That storm lived up to all the hype in all of the east coast states, but not at our Gardiner home as warm air aloft turned 1.70" LE into 10.3" of heavily rimed flakes, with modest winds.  Also, February had produced 4 warning criteria storms, the top 3 dumping 11" to 14.5".  However, the 31" pack on March 14 was our tallest in 13 winters there.

Honestly, it was 3 hrs of fun and that's it lol.  But a fun 3 hrs. 

• Like 1

The thump from like 1-2pm or so until mid evening was pretty epic. 6-8 hours of crazy. We had about 20” and I’d say the vast majority fell in 6 hours. I think we got a few pellets right near the dryslot but otherwise they were a non-factor. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

You always seem to do well in marginal events, up there. What's your elevation? I'm guessing is right around 500?

515 good guess. About 700 yds up my hill is 725 and they probably average a foot more than me. Marginal from marine puke literally 500 yds down the hill in the valley is a snow pit.

• 6 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, The 4 Seasons said:

Since its the 5-year anniversary, i thought id post a few images. This was an incredible storm. Pretty much a 6-hour window or maybe even a bit less of heavy snow, several CG strikes locally that sounded like a summer-time severe storm with loud convective claps and snowfall rates of 2-3"/hr. We picked up about 13.5" from around 330pm to 930pm. Western CT had a truly historic event with 22-28" while the SE corner got hardly anything with an inch or two, quite the gradient. Here's the updated map i just did a couple months ago....

03_07.18_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.6b6a50c9b4a84ae00d7312072a4fbeca.jpg

28938373_10100495979894692_1275181449_o.jpg

DXxnCENXUAAs4_j.jpg

DXu3B9iVAAA5XWv.jpg

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (1).gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NJ_L2NCR_ANI (4).gif

thk_f030_bg_ne.png

Had to look at this again and crack up at the Bridgeport reporting hole again.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

What happened during that event? Is this site the DCA of New England?

The problem for BDR is twofold actually. Number 1, it's in a valley. Many call it a shadow effect of the winds down sloping whether from an overall easterly or westerly direction. Number 2, they use a snow gauge. This has to catch snow that is already hindered by the valley shadow effect and also any wind will cause the snow to bypass the gauge a little regardless of a funnel put on top. With these relatively significant hinderances, one can pretty much see why a conservative snowfall report is somewhat the norm for that particular location.

• 1 month later...