Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Interesting accounts from the big March 1984 nor'easter at this time.

http://www.usdeadlyevents.com/1984-march-28-30-noreaster-wind-snow-storms-northeast-esp-ny16-pa11-33/

The microburst in Southborough is always really weird to me in that storm. But it was definitely legit. Pretty fun getting blizzard conditions and then a microburst hits. :lol:

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The microburst in Southborough is always really weird to me in that storm. But it was definitely legit. Pretty fun getting blizzard conditions and then a microburst hits. :lol:

I was thinking about that and what happened in the Feb 2013 blizz over the Marshfield area. There are two sections where trees were just mowed down. I was thinking maybe more of a domino effect with wet snow and wind, but who knows. @amarshall can vouch for me.

In any case, I have vague memories of March '84. I do remember some tree damage. That storm pummeled the whole NE coast. We haven't had many of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was thinking about that and what happened in the Feb 2013 blizz over the Marshfield area. There are two sections where trees were just mowed down. I was thinking maybe more of a domino effect with wet snow and wind, but who knows. @amarshall can vouch for me.

In any case, I have vague memories of March '84. I do remember some tree damage. That storm pummeled the whole NE coast. We haven't had many of those.

It looks like a freight train ran through route 3A. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I wrote a while ago that I'd post 400+ snowfall interpolations (1900-2022). Well, here it is. I've been wanting to do this for a while (proof of concept and what not). The main reason: End the whole percentile debate (10th,20th,...,90th,100th). I think the results are fairly reasonable, but significantly depend on the accuracy and density of snowfall observations (which is why I cutoff northern Maine from the figures). My interpolation method changed pending the two factors. If I'm missing an event, let me know. Until then, see y'all in 5 months :weenie::weenie::weenie:!

For transparency, I also posted 2 similar videos which included superimposed observations and technique for each event (I did this for the CONUS too, but truncated).

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 11:54 PM, MegaMike said:

I wrote a while ago that I'd post 400+ snowfall interpolations (1900-2022). Well, here it is. I've been wanting to do this for a while (proof of concept and what not). The main reason: End the whole percentile debate (10th,20th,...,90th,100th). I think the results are fairly reasonable, but significantly depend on the accuracy and density of snowfall observations (which is why I cutoff northern Maine from the figures). My interpolation method changed pending the two factors. If I'm missing an event, let me know. Until then, see y'all in 5 months :weenie::weenie::weenie:!

For transparency, I also posted 2 similar videos which included superimposed observations and technique for each event (I did this for the CONUS too, but truncated).

Love it! It's missing a few events though like Nov 7th 2012 and Apr 2018, theres also a few out of chronological order. But i really enjoyed it, looks like a lot of work. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Love it! It's missing a few events though like Nov 7th 2012 and Apr 2018, theres also a few out of chronological order. But i really enjoyed it, looks like a lot of work. 

Thanks, dude! 

There's an archive (If I remember correctly: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/snowstorm-database/archive/) that contains snow event observations. In a nutshell, I wrote script to read each shapefile, populate the grid with '0' observations, create an interpolation, plot the highest snowfall observation within multiple grid boxes, then save the image. This was done iteratively so it wasn't too time consuming.

I didn't notice some were out of order - can't win em' all, I guess.

From here on out, I'm leaving the snowfall interpolations to you lol

5 hours ago, MegaMike said:

Thanks, dude! 

There's an archive (If I remember correctly: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/snowstorm-database/archive/) that contains snow event observations. In a nutshell, I wrote script to read each shapefile, populate the grid with '0' observations, create an interpolation, plot the highest snowfall observation within multiple grid boxes, then save the image. This was done iteratively so it wasn't too time consuming.

I didn't notice some were out of order - can't win em' all, I guess.

From here on out, I'm leaving the snowfall interpolations to you lol

haha. actually you were a big help with the seasonal snowfall stuff. matter of fact im actually using that gridded snowfall analysis map you sent me and converting it to CSV to open in Excel. Im working on something right now and that info you sent me is priceless, so thanks. 

8 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

last year and 19-20 was bad for you both around 30. 20-21 you did good with 43.4. 

Yeah 20-21 was good here, though I think my normal is between 40-45”?

Two double digit snowfalls, a nice minor Inauguration Day snowfall, and a really beautiful Super Bowl warning level snowfall that year. 

Going back over my records, even the bad years had at least one nice event. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah 20-21 was good here, though I think my normal is between 40-45”?

Two double digit snowfalls, a nice minor Inauguration Day snowfall, and a really beautiful Super Bowl warning level snowfall that year. 

Going back over my records, even the bad years had at least one nice event. 

When was your first winter there? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I moved back in May 2018. Lived here as a kid though and in Hartford for law school 2010-13.

Ahh ok so you saw Some epic winters (‘10-11 was amazing in HFD). 

But yeah, since moving back, been pretty ugly there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Forgot how terrible that season was, plus being so close to that blizzard added to the misery....

I kinda liked it, blizzard and Feb 5th snowstorm both trended extremely positive at the last minute, 2 double digit storms, plus near 40" is about my season average. There were definitely a lot of negatives but for MBY i gave it C/C+. 21-22, 19-20, and 18-19 were definitely way worse here. 

For New England overall, that season was abysmal. 16.9" at Albany and for the lower hudson valley and Litchfield CT it was one of the worst ever. 

42 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I kinda liked it, blizzard and Feb 5th snowstorm both trended extremely positive at the last minute, 2 double digit storms, plus near 40" is about my season average. There were definitely a lot of negatives but for MBY i gave it C/C+. 21-22, 19-20, and 18-19 were definitely way worse here. 

For New England overall, that season was abysmal. 16.9" at Albany and for the lower hudson valley and Litchfield CT it was one of the worst ever. 

That Feb 4th storm only gave me 4 inches, better than nothing I suppose. Being my second year in New England it still probably ended up being a top 10 winter in my life time growing up in Southeastern PA and Delaware...Last year was my lowest seasonal total since I moved up here in late 2014.