Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Brett should have done well in 10-11. It was tough SE of GHG to UUU. I remember my folks were on the line, but would be mostly snow. But literally Duxbury on SE was screwed. You went from a 2' pack to little if anything in like 10 miles.

Feb/Mar was pretty crappy in SE areas in 2011...after the Feb 2nd storm, most of the events were N of pike type events.

Can't believe its been 5 years already. But this beautiful bomb hit Feb 9th 2017. Notable aspects of this storm is that was particularly easy to forecast with extremely good consensus amongst all models and run-run consistency. 

Widespread thundersnow broke out in CT during the early afternoon hours with rates reaching 4" per hour. 

02.09.17_snow_forecast_final_call.jpg02.09.17_snow_totals.jpg

02.09.17_snow_totals_table.jpg

111Capture.JPG

C4OO-BWW8AECmOc.jpg

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (1).gif

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (4).gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NYN_L2NCR_ANI.gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NYN_N0R_ANI.gif

thk_f012_bg_ne.pngthk_f015_bg_ne.png

C4RDrnxVUAEaIzl.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can't believe its been 5 years already. But this beautiful bomb hit Feb 9th 2017. Notable aspects of this storm is that was particularly easy to forecast with extremely good consensus amongst all models and run-run consistency. 

Widespread thundersnow broke out in CT during the early afternoon hours with rates reaching 4" per hour. 

02.09.17_snow_forecast_final_call.jpg02.09.17_snow_totals.jpg

111Capture.JPG

C4OO-BWW8AECmOc.jpg

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (1).gif

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (4).gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NYN_L2NCR_ANI.gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NYN_N0R_ANI.gif

thk_f012_bg_ne.pngthk_f015_bg_ne.png

C4RDrnxVUAEaIzl.jpg

My town jackpotted? Incredible.

Only because I was living in DC at the time :lol: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

The in my backyard stance of this forum is ridiculous. 

personally, I don't give a crap what anyone else gets for snow. I only care about MBY. why should i care if someone in CT gets a foot (or 0")? is that what you are saying?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

personally, I don't give a crap what anyone else gets for snow. I only care about MBY. why should i care if someone in CT gets a foot (or 0")? is that what you are saying?

Suppose I find the meteorology of each system much more enjoyable than then amount of snow that my driveway receives. To each his own.

• Weenie 1

On 2/9/2022 at 12:59 PM, The 4 Seasons said:

02.09.17_snow_totals.jpg

C4RDrnxVUAEaIzl.jpg

This particular blizzard stands out to me as being one of the most dynamic (electric) systems I’ve experienced, personally. 

Not only did CT see widespread thundersnow, but I actually documented the occurrence multiple times in both Providence, RI and in Plymouth, MA.  A very underrated storm!        

• Thanks 1

I wish we had these nice radar images from Jan 1996.

Best storm of all time for me cause

Highest snowfall of 27 inches

A TRUE megalopolis snowstorm so incredible media hype and coverage (nothing like watching a town south of you getting crushed knowing your next in line).

Long duration storm lasting over 24 hours of off and on HEAVY snow.

Multiple unique stages of the initial overrunning (8 inches). Dry slot. Off and on bands of heavy snow (14 inches). Solid back edge to end the event (5 inches).

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Holy smokes!  Great perspective.

Where is that?  It looks just like my old neighborhood in Cambridge.

It's Hampshire Street in the Kendall Square area, about two blocks up from CBC. It was magical that morning after the last big storm, like being in some village in the Alps or something.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

It's Hampshire Street in the Kendall Square area, about two blocks up from CBC. It was magical that morning after the last big storm, like being in some village in the Alps or something.

I was commuting into Boston that year for work on the seaport....I remember the harbor finally froze over during the 2/2/15 storm and it didn't unfreeze until around 3/20....pretty insane that it was completely frozen over for like 6 weeks. In addition, all the snow out on the harbor ice was blown and drifted into various mounds and sculptures and you'd get random ground blizzards out there on sunny days in late February because the snow was staying powdery and couldn't get soft and refreeze due the lack of warmups. Looked more like some city on the arctic ocean rather than a temperate climate.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was commuting into Boston that year for work on the seaport....I remember the harbor finally froze over during the 2/2/15 storm and it didn't unfreeze until around 3/20....pretty insane that it was completely frozen over for like 6 weeks. In addition, all the snow out on the harbor ice was blown and drifted into various mounds and sculptures and you'd get random ground blizzards out there on sunny days in late February because the snow was staying powdery and couldn't get soft and refreeze due the lack of warmups. Looked more like some city on the arctic ocean rather than a temperate climate.

If I remember right, the Coast Guard had to bring in ice breakers to make a path for the ferry from Hingham at one point.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if anyone living in the BOS area will ever see those seasonal snowfall totals ever again in their lifetimes.  Maybe if they are super young... but I doubt it      Just an epic season.  I kiddingly would meh it (I "only" has like 120")

Possible, but I doubt anybody alive in the Boston area will see 90" in three weeks again. The return rate for something like that has to be astronomical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What an epic bust down here in CT from about 91 and west. I remember it vividly. We were under a blizzard warning with calm winds and clear skies. OKX wouldn't pull the plug until about 9PM. Got about 2" from WAA snows on the front end and that was it. E CT did well and verified the warnings.

02.JPG

03.gif

04.JPG

Epic bust for Maine too. That was supposed to bury Portland area. It did give coastal York county nearly 20” but shafted off to the north.