Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

8 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

3-year anniversay of this mess. Over a half an inch of ice caused a lot of power outages and just a disaster on the roads. A significant part of Hamden and North Haven lost power for days. 

What made this event particularly bad was the fact that temperatures plummeted into the teens and single digits after the icing and winds picked up.

01.19.19_snow_forecast_1.jpg01.20.19_ice_totals.jpg

01.20.19_snow_totals.jpg

11123456789RAD_MOS_STATE_NJ_L2WINTER_ANI (1).gif

icealy.PNGicebox.PNGiceokx.PNG

lololololoCapture.PNG

pnsaly.PNGpnsbox.PNGpnsokx.PNG

RAD_MOS_REG_NE_L2WINTER_ANI (4).gif

I blew out my knee on that ice; still haven't fully recovered.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Such an incredible storm. My first 20 bagger

What a stretch that was. I just checked out the COOP forms up here and although we only had 11" in that we had 12.5" a few days later on 1/14. Then we had 15" in the blizz and only a 1/2" the rest of the month.

I was the perfect age for the Blizzard of 78 - 14 soon to turn 15. Just enough independence. Two weeks of no school. One day decided to walk 9, 10, 11 miles to my friend's home in Hingham, thankfully deciding that crossing an ice strewn Hingham Harbor was not the safest short cut to his house. Took most of the day to get there, just walking down the middle of a normally heavily trafficked state road (228) occasionally stepping aside as emergency vehicles headed to Hull. Called my parents to tell them I wouldn't be coming home for a few days and they didn't much care. Everyone in the neighborhood just pulled together and shoveled each others driveways. The roads were all snow covered so you couldn't drive anywhere.

A few years back, a now retired colleague and I were talking about the storm in the office with a bunch of young people present. He abandoned his car on 128 around the Burlington/Lexington line and hiked into an adjacent neighborhood and essentially knocked on a strangers door and asked for shelter. He lived there with the family for 3 or  days. Our younger colleagues thought we were joking. The stories of people getting stuck in the old boston garden post beanpot are legend.

When the stores opened there wasn't anything in them after the first hour so my Mom just made bread which we ate with butter for two weeks along with some rationed food.

I think the best thing about the Blizzard was the absolute insanity it created for the next two decades everytime a weather forecast said 'heavy snow.' People rushing to the store, emptying shelves, sheer panic.

My family had just started skiing so my siblings and I would put our skis on everyday and just "ski" around in the woods behind our house - there was nothing else to do - and the landscape had been totally transformed - all the vegetation had been bent over and covered in snow.

We lost power for a few days, then it was restored; but at some point, we lost it again and I have this vague memory of my father absolutely losing it on the phone with some poor electric company representative. LOL. My Mother probably shooed us out the room!

Good times.

• Like 3

Blizzard of 78: was 12 years old, and my parents were taking their ONLY vacation ever without us in Bermuda. We had a (fun) babysitter. 30 inches at my house. Parents were stuck in Bermuda till Sunday evening and could only drive home with a MA State Police permission slip (which my 85 year old Dad still has). I still have a test tube full of water from that snow, though much has evaporated (somehow through the cork?) so there's about an inch left in the bottom. 2 weeks off from school and the most fun was jumping off our roof into a 5-6 foot drift.

I was 11 y.o. Had a paper route. Thought that delivering papers during the January storm was tough until the Blizzard three weeks later. I vividly remember thundersnow on 2/6/78 at about 10:00 PM. Snow was about 3 feet of cement here. Despite its water content we had drifts of 8-10 feet.

• Like 1

The 3 big midwinter storms of 78 were mostly meh in northern Maine.  Fort Kent got 4" from Jan. 20-21, a rainy slushy mess from the OV bomb, then 2" from the fringes of Feb. 6-7.  That was followed by 5 weeks of cold nothingness - Feb 8 thru Mar 13 had 0.26" precip.  After the 13" of 18:1 fluff on Jan. 18, that winter had no more warning criteria events left.

Anyone remember a storm between 10-12 years ago that had a pretty intense band back in to the Cape and hammered Upper Cape/ Manomet. If I recall messenger was doing naked snow angels but a very sharp cutoff to the northwest. By anyone I mean Will..lol. I wouldn't expect anyone else to remember given the location.

Would love to see a radar loop of that 

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Anyone remember a storm between 10-12 years ago that hand a pretty intense band back in to the Cape and hammered Upper Cape/ Manomet. If I recall messenger was doing naked snow angels but a very sharp cutoff to the northwest. By anyone I mean Will..lol

Would love to see a radar loop of that 

January 2008? I don't have a loop of that, but there are definitely sites that archive and would display it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

January 2008? I don't have a loop of that, but there are definitely sites that archive and would display it. 

I do remember it being late January, now that you mention it. So that may be it

Yeah, that be it:

On January 27, a low pressure system which developed just off Cape Cod, Massachusetts brought a major ice storm for portions of the Canadian Maritimes on January 28 after dumping a few inches of snow across coastal sections of Massachusetts and Maine, and up to 13 inches (33 cm) of snow on Cape Cod

7 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I do remember it being late January, now that you mention it. So that may be it

Yeah, that be it:

On January 27, a low pressure system which developed just off Cape Cod, Massachusetts brought a major ice storm for portions of the Canadian Maritimes on January 28 after dumping a few inches of snow across coastal sections of Massachusetts and Maine, and up to 13 inches (33 cm) of snow on Cape Cod

I have a couple radar loops of that one posted on my computer downstairs. I’ll post them in here tomorrow. I think places near PYM and the canal had close to a foot in that while 15-20 miles NW had like 2-4”. Lol. I remember a really intense band just crushing that area for hours. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I have a couple radar loops of that one posted on my computer downstairs. I’ll post them in here tomorrow. I think places near PYM and the canal had close to a foot in that while 15-20 miles NW had like 2-4”. Lol. I remember a really intense band just crushing that area for hours. 

That mesoband actually shows up in the seasonal totals down there...you can see a little max near PYM and the canal while off to the west near EWB was clearly less

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG.5143bc71d18cb40403fab19a15270031.PNG

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here's a couple radar images....first is when the badn is just backing in....and 2nd is after it had been stationary for a few hours and starting to slink back E a bit....but you can tell that the canal area got destroyed

Jan27_500pmRadar.gif

Jan27_1100pmRadar.gif

Thanks! Man, my current location probably got hammered in this one: downtown Sandwich, a couple miles from the Sagamore bridge. iIRC, Wareham received about 8" which was my old old locale

43 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

6-Year anniversary of the first big snowfall of what was to become an historic winter, Winter 2014-2015. The Jan 24th overnight WWA heavy wet snows.

It's interesting to go back and look at the progression of my maps starting with Nov 2014. Photoshop skills have definitely improved.

05.JPG.94aebb299a5bd7f46a9aaedbf2629580.JPG07.JPG.799aa141344081b54a178374e590bb1d.JPG

17.thumb.jpg.31e252b2cfc948ebea80dbca831b5ac2.jpg16.thumb.jpg.a1f101bb337aa5338abe96aa32658663.jpg18.thumb.jpg.f51d8a2603adb5e24db90723f58c2d51.jpg

12.JPG.64a136200098555de4a08c23ed943d8d.JPG

Thanks for this. What a great winter that was for SW CT complete with an epic March ( only downside was the blizzard getting 7 instead of 30)

January 2018 was the best storm here since January 2015. I remember waking up at dawn to some nice OES and I knew we'd be doing well that day. When that first band came in, it was instand snow growth, and this band never really left. It must've pivoted over my head for 3 hours or so, picking up about 10 inches in that time. Snow rates alone, the winds from that bomb were extremely powerful. Drifts of several feet everywhere. 

Very difficult to measure this snow, but we must've accumulated somewhere around 16-18 inches. Here are some pics:

Screenshot_20210131-121438_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-121342_Photos.jpg

• Like 1