• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

From a pure snow total standpoint, going to be hard for any storm to top January 2015 for me. 33" of snow under that death band. 34" wouldn't do it, would take a storm dumping 3' on me to even consider it.

From an experience standpoint, the prolonged nuclear thundersnow of 12/9/05 will always be tops. Walking home from school in the middle of the road because that was only spot remotely passable with numerous CGs booming around will never be topped.

41 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah that was fun 4 nor’easters each exactly a week apart.

mar 1- inland elevated event rain at the coast and low elevations.

mar 7/8- major snowstorm  for most of New England 1-2 ft for a lot.

mar 13- major snowstorm East New England bust for central areas and west.

mar 21st- huge bust for southern New England nyc and li crushed with 1-2ft. 

10 measurable snow events after March 3rd 2018 was wow

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That was a hell of a month. One of the most damaging months we'll have in a long time. Between wind, cstl flooding, trees/outages etc....a hell of a month.

ORH barely missed their snowiest March on record and that was with 2 negative busts (Mar 1-2 underperformed on snow, and Mar 21 shat the bed to the south)....they prob get 50" that month if just one of those other storms pans out.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That was a hell of a month. One of the most damaging months we'll have in a long time. Between wind, cstl flooding, trees/outages etc....a hell of a month.

One of my favorite stretches here. A damaging 15" event immediately followed by close to 2' of pure fluff. That second storm was the highest ratio large event I've seen. 

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Ooof thats frustrating, i thought 8.5" in a 24-36" forecast (15-30" NBC on the conseravitive/more realistic side) but 1.5" on 12-16 is worse. At least i hade plowable low end warning snow.

I really wanted to experience my first 2 to 3 footer but alas it still eludes me to this day.

That's why a winter with 112" snow, about 125% of average, was frustrating - I had 4 of those mega-busts, events that verified at 1/8 or less of the low end of the forecast range.  In addition to the SNJ bust (sad because it would've been the biggest storm ever for the snow-loving grandkids) the other 3 were:
--November 2:  forecast 4-8 (had been 8-12 the day before) verified at 0.5".  Meanwhile the midcoast north of PWM got 8-14" and places downeast about 20.
--December 9-11:  forecast 10-16, verified at 1.2" plus 2.5" of 33-34F RA.  Meanwhile western Maine mts above 1500' got a 15-25" paste bomb.
--V-Day massacre:  Forecast had been 18-24 when blizz warnings were first posted but dropped to 12-18 just before first flakes.  Verified at 1.5" while BOS got 16 and Machias 25.  (That eastern Maine town at 20' elevation had pack climb to 74" that winter, more than 2 feet higher than any winter at my pack-holding site.  Best I could do in 14-15 was 31", barely above my average.) 

45 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

That was the last real snow storm we had here in southern new england. The last warning event that is.

This was a pretty damned good storm for a large chunk of southern New England...admittedly it left your area out in S CT.

Dec1-3_2019snowtotals.png.5ba941ee4f244d23151ad1640fc8ccb3.png

Dec1_930pmRadar.gif.290cffd262aabf8229fc3c43db080ee2.gifDec1_925pmRadar.gif.8432ae52554c3540fe2c2486f8003081.gif

Dec3_727amRadar.gif.e375d21ef08f6750abf40a2a7c790fcc.gif

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we didn’t do as well as others did inland, but fun event. I’d take that any day in the early season. 

That front end thump basically maxed out over my head (you can see the first two radar loops above i posted, that was all snow here) I remember I kept updating it at the end when I was going at 4”/hr....I had like 2 or 3” and then all of the sudden near the end of that thump I had 9” two hours later, lol. 

Then i got like 1-2” the next day on intermittent easterly stuff and then the final 6” early on Dec 3rd.  

Here was a pic of the 4”/hr stuff...kind of hard to tell though because it was night time, but you can kind of tell it’s doing the “choking flakes” thing there. This is in the middle of it when we had about 5 or 6” while less than an hour earlier we had 2”.  

Dec1_snow2.thumb.jpg.213ac64d5926645a4238af7a3e425fd5.jpg

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That front end thump basically maxed out over my head (you can see the first two radar loops above i posted, that was all snow here) I remember I kept updating it at the end when I was going at 4”/hr....I had like 2 or 3” and then all of the sudden near the end of that thump I had 9” two hours later, lol. 

Then i got like 1-2” the next day on intermittent easterly stuff and then the final 6” early on Dec 3rd.  

Here was a pic of the 4”/hr stuff...kind of hard to tell though because it was night time, but you can kind of tell it’s doing the “choking flakes” thing there. This is in the middle of it when we had about 5 or 6” while less than an hour earlier we had 2”.  

Dec1_snow2.thumb.jpg.213ac64d5926645a4238af7a3e425fd5.jpg

That’s the band that flipped me back to snow with about 2” of mash potatoes. Just to my SW had like 5” from that. Real impressive. I have a Ginxy cell pic of that because the snow was getting on the camera  lol. I’ll find it. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s the band that flipped me back to snow with about 2” of mash potatoes. Just to my SW had like 5” from that. Real impressive. I have a Ginxy cell pic of that because the snow was getting on the camera  lol. I’ll find it. 

Yeah i was expecting I’d be done in round 1 with about 5” or so when we were a couple hours into it and then all hell broke loose and all of the sudden I have over 9” OTG and the dryslot is ripping in. I barely even ever had pingers. Maybe a couple at the very end and a little freezing drizzle overnight before I was back to flakes the next morning. 

The big rates are always fun. Especially when it busts a forecast in the positive direction. The radar loop is great because you can just see that WAA slamming into a brick wall over MA. 

26 minutes ago, ScituateWX said:

Fun site for old NWS discos.  Can someone tell me more about the ETA model?  Seems like it was factored in a lot back in the day.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=AFDBOX&e=200501210850

The ETA model was the predecessor to the NAM....they actually renamed it the NAM while it was still the ETA, but the NAM became based off of the WRF model when they discontinued the ETA in 2006-2007 season. 

The ETA could run hot and cold. Sometimes it just knocked events out of the park...12/9/05 was one. Jan 2005 blizzard too. However, it had some epic epic failures too including 12/30/00 and it was putrid in the Feb 2006 storm. But overall it was a solid model and it had some fairly consistent biases that you could play off of as a forecaster. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Looking at 2006 how does Fairfield get 27 and Bridgeport 12.5. the towns are literally right next to each other makes no sense. 4 seasons u do a snowfall map for this one yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_2006

I was just talking about this recently. You can ignore BDR reports most of the time. They are horribly low, without a doubt. This same thing occured on Jan 23 2016.

All the towns around southern fairfield cty at the shore are in the 12-16". BDR reports? 9". Watching the radar unfold and surrounding reports, thats impossible. So i just ignored it.

706034528_Snowstorm2016TOTALS.thumb.jpg.2e2e9c74df2c2b453201e0ab913689f8.jpg

• Thanks 1