• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

Snowtober still grabs my attention more than any of the recent blizzards. The shotguns and flashes all night and the destruction that was visible in the morning with that epic deform band of the ages over GC. Still don't think we will see anything like that again in our lifetimes.

Certainly not as widespread. We may see a narrow area get a siggy October snow, but the widespread nature of that storm like will not be matched in our lifetime.

I said that more than once for a couple of things. And then 96 is blown away and 34 too. Have to agree unlikely but damn ya never know

Yeah nothing is definite, but if you think about it for return rate, I think the other two examples would go down a lot sooner than a widespread late October 6-24"+ storm. And oh yeah...gave DC-NYC-BOS snow as well.

Let's hope this upcoming winter isn't like the pukefest that was '97/'98. Had my first big bust to this then 9 year old snow lover (December 27-28th.) The snowbomb that winter was good though.

I remember that 12/28/97 storm. Was supposed to be like 3-6/4-8" on the Cape...a rain/snow mix changing to heavy snow. I think it ended up as a sloppy coating to an inch. I was down at grandparents in Yarmouth for that one on Christmas break in highschool. Parts of SE MA off the Cape though managed 3-4". I remember seeing the snow through Taunton, Franklin, etc before it fizzled to nothing by the time I was back up in ORH.

Then the monster 12/29-30/97 storm hit...we were supposed to get all rain in ORH in that as it was a Hudson Valley runner, but we got like 4" on the front end of total paste and then it flipped to marginal ZR for a while before finally turning to like 33F rain before the dryslot...we never actually got warm sectored at the surface...and ended up with a net gain in that storm somehow...we already had a lot of snow on the ground from the 12/23/97 surprise.

I remember that 12/28/97 storm. Was supposed to be like 3-6/4-8" on the Cape...a rain/snow mix changing to heavy snow. I think it ended up as a sloppy coating to an inch. I was down at grandparents in Yarmouth for that one on Christmas break in highschool. Parts of SE MA off the Cape though managed 3-4". I remember seeing the snow through Taunton, Franklin, etc before it fizzled to nothing by the time I was back up in ORH.

Then the monster 12/29-30/97 storm hit...we were supposed to get all rain in ORH in that as it was a Hudson Valley runner, but we got like 4" on the front end of total paste and then it flipped to marginal ZR for a while before finally turning to like 33F rain before the dryslot...we never actually got warm sectored at the surface...and ended up with a net gain in that storm somehow...we already had a lot of snow on the ground from the 12/23/97 surprise.

Hey guys, Moderate poster in the Upstate NY forum but that was one of my favorite snowstorms(12/29-12/30) for Phoenix N.Y.(just north of Syracuse. 26" of snow from that one and was our last county wide snow emergency(17 years). Last Blizzard Warning was back in March, 93. I feel like you guys have had 10 Blizzard Warnings or more to my 1 in 23 years!

Hey guys, Moderate poster in the Upstate NY forum but that was one of my favorite snowstorms(12/29-12/30) for Phoenix N.Y.(just north of Syracuse. 26" of snow from that one and was our last county wide snow emergency(17 years). Last Blizzard Warning was back in March, 93. I feel like you guys have had 10 Blizzard Warnings or more to my 1 in 23 years!

There has definitely been a drought for big nor Easter snowstorms hitting interior NY State. Esp west of about Oneonta. They used to be more common for sure. I'm sure you will get a good one again soon enough. At my time at Cornell in Ithaca, I was lucky to be there during the 1/3/03 storm. Great deformation job in central NY. I was doing a winter session class...was kind of eerie given that the campus and collegetown was like 90% empty. But a great way to experience our best synoptic snowstorm in my time there.

Probably the benchmark storm ever for Harwich, MA was the Blizzard of 2005.  The Blizzard of January 26-27th 2015 was a close second, but nothing will compare to that mega band that hit interior SE MA with 7-8" of snow in 75 minutes time.  Snowfall rates were close to 10" in that band.  We had several bands reach 5"/hour here on the Cape as well during that blizzard.  By 12am midnight on the 23rd we had 12" of snow in an 8 hour period, after that time we had another 23" within another 15 hour period.  Extremely amazing for sure.

There has definitely been a drought for big nor Easter snowstorms hitting interior NY State. Esp west of about Oneonta. They used to be more common for sure. I'm sure you will get a good one again soon enough. At my time at Cornell in Ithaca, I was lucky to be there during the 1/3/03 storm. Great deformation job in central NY. I was doing a winter session class...was kind of eerie given that the campus and collegetown was like 90% empty. But a great way to experience our best synoptic snowstorm in my time there.

I had trouble remembering that one; had to look it up,  probably because we ended up with less than 10". Southern NY and East-Central NY got pounded. 38" in Cherry Valley(northwest of Oneonta I think). Hope you are right! I went to college in Oneonta and Oswego so I have had my fair share over the years but the big synoptic ones with 2 to 5 inch per hour rates are the best. Take care.  

I had trouble remembering that one; had to look it up,  probably because we ended up with less than 10". Southern NY and East-Central NY got pounded. 38" in Cherry Valley(northwest of Oneonta I think). Hope you are right! I went to college in Oneonta and Oswego so I have had my fair share over the years but the big synoptic ones with 2 to 5 inch per hour rates are the best. Take care.  

It must have just missed SYR and north with the best stuff. We had about 16" in Ithaca in the 1/3/03 storm.

• 2 weeks later...

One storm, that doesn't probably doesn't rank high around here, but for me is worth comemorating, is

The Dec 9th, 2005 mini blizzard. I was working in Needham that day, and we were only forecasted to get perhaps 1-3" that day. But a localized band set up somewhere around Boston...and BOOM! Basically we had thundersnow with lightning and high winds lasting like 3 hours or so. It was a 3 hour squall essentially. The total from that ended up being somewhere around 10".

Christmas of '02 was a decent storm, not for CC and the Islands, but in the interior. The Berk foothills almost recorded 20 inches.

snow122702.gif

This will always be a favorite of mine just because it snowed 24" during Christmas Day. It was timed perfectly that it started early in the morning, and during Xmas morning activities it was just steady 1"/hr, though still not overly impressive until 3pm when it seemed to go crazy with 3-5" per hour rates. I just remember eating Christmas dinner and then finding like another half foot fell during that time. The whole family outside shoveling later at night as it continued to pour snow, on Christmas Day. Drove the grandparents home across town and couldn't stop at red lights as we'd never get rolling again. Blasting through snow banks that threw snow up the windshield and over the SUV as the road crews could only clear main roads, side streets had 12-18" since last plowing.

I'll always love knowing I got to experience a two-footer on Christmas Day. Not the day before or after...but right there on Dec 25th.

This will always be a favorite of mine just because it snowed 24" during Christmas Day. It was timed perfectly that it started early in the morning, and during Xmas morning activities it was just steady 1"/hr, though still not overly impressive until 3pm when it seemed to go crazy with 3-5" per hour rates. I just remember eating Christmas dinner and then finding like another half foot fell during that time. The whole family outside shoveling later at night as it continued to pour snow, on Christmas Day. Drove the grandparents home across town and couldn't stop at red lights as we'd never get rolling again. Blasting through snow banks that threw snow up the windshield and over the SUV as the road crews could only clear main roads, side streets had 12-18" since last plowing.

I'll always love knowing I got to experience a two-footer on Christmas Day. Not the day before or after...but right there on Dec 25th.

I'm surprised your area did that well, as in Maine there was a very sharp northside cutoff.  My place was forecast for 8-12" and got 1", while 10 miles SE there was 8" in Belgrade, and 20 miles SSE from there, parts of Augusta got 15".  At GYX they had 18", their largest in their (started 1997) records until Feb. 2013 blew it away by almost 9".

Xmas '02 was a great storm. We didn't get the jackpot in ORH like further NW did, but we had 13.5" of snow...started around 6-7am and went all day into the night ending in the overnight hours. There was actually a lot of sleet not too far SE...down in NE CT, N RI, and up near metro-southwest Boston.

Not sure the date, but 2-3 years ago we had a storm that was either late Feb or early March, I had a medical call for my FD at about 1-2am and we had about 5-7 inches on the ground when I got home. Betwee that time and 6-7am we must have got another 10-15 inches of snow. I Remember opening the front door and was amazed at the size of the drift at my door. One of the guys on my FD plows for the town and said it was snowing a 3-4" an hr rate during that period and they had to get off the road it was so bad. Does anyone remember which storm that was?

I'm surprised your area did that well, as in Maine there was a very sharp northside cutoff. My place was forecast for 8-12" and got 1", while 10 miles SE there was 8" in Belgrade, and 20 miles SSE from there, parts of Augusta got 15". At GYX they had 18", their largest in their (started 1997) records until Feb. 2013 blew it away by almost 9".

I was just SW of the Albany area then...my last winter living there and it included 50" in 10 days.

This map likely isn't accurate outside the ALB area, as that's where this TV station focuses on.  

I remember we were all watching the news and they were doing live coverage as the state shut down the NY Thruway, counties were under states of emergencies, that deform band meant business.  Our town had 25" per the PNS.  In the core of the deform band west of us there were some pockets of 36-40" recorded.

Christmas Day Storm, 2002.

2002-12sum-Dec25Snow.jpg

Not sure the date, but 2-3 years ago we had a storm that was either late Feb or early March, I had a medical call for my FD at about 1-2am and we had about 5-7 inches on the ground when I got home. Betwee that time and 6-7am we must have got another 10-15 inches of snow. I Remember opening the front door and was amazed at the size of the drift at my door. One of the guys on my FD plows for the town and said it was snowing a 3-4" an hr rate during that period and they had to get off the road it was so bad. Does anyone remember which storm that was?

It's almost certainly March 7-8, 2013. You were in Windham County CT right?

Unless you were thinking of Feb 8, 2013 blizzard, but the timeframe doesn't line up as that was in early February and the peak snow there would have been in mid evening and not overnight.