• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

As bad as it was Will, normalcy was within an hours drive, if a region wide disaster strikes then things get real dicey.

Yeah, thats why I said get a colder version of Dec 2008 and it could really get ugly....where most people get hit hard...then follow it with an arctic outbreak.

Ugly scenario to think about.

Cetainly a big disaster down your way. When the Tropo reaches the surface very bad things happen. 12/13/07 was a traffic disaster, worst possible scenario in 05 but quick mover, now stall that and then see what the fook happens. Not out of the realm, highly unlikely but....... Then follow that with record cold, ya never know?

I can only imagine being down the Cape. It literally left me awe struck when it came in.

I can only imagine being down the Cape. It literally left me awe struck when it came in.

When Kevin and I walked into a bar on Chatham during the Nov 2007 Noel chase, they were still talking about 12/9/05...they said something "yeah but this will be nothing like December a couple years ago" or something. We asked them to describe it and they said the wind went from just a bit breezy to all hell breaking loose...all of the sudden they heard trees snapping, light posts falling over and piece of roofing getting torn off. It didn't last that long, it was over in 2 or 3 minutes, but it was so intense.

Dave 05 intensity on the Cape was worse than78 scores of over 90 mph winds and much worse wind damage, talking wind only do not get me wrong

Oh I know that...

How long was the Cape under the gun with that? I wish I got to experience that monster.

I have been lucky enough to remember some doozies: Dec 2008, Dec 1992 (in Lowell - not the best, but...), March '01, Thanksgiving '89, Feb '78, etc etc etc.

Wish I was old enough and living here in Feb '69... The tales some of the folks around here about 1969 were truly La Epic

When Kevin and I walked into a bar on Chatham during the Nov 2007 Noel chase, they were still talking about 12/9/05...they said something "yeah but this will be nothing like December a couple years ago" or something. We asked them to describe it and they said the wind went from just a bit breezy to all hell breaking loose...all of the sudden they heard trees snapping, light posts falling over and piece of roofing getting torn off. It didn't last that long, it was over in 2 or 3 minutes, but it was so intense.

I liked Phil's description of the air being sucked out of his lungs.

Dave 05 intensity on the Cape was worse than78 scores of over 90 mph winds and much worse wind damage, talking wind only do not get me wrong

Cool example of the atmosphere adjusting to the rapid deepening of the low. Acceleration of air into bombing low is not instant, but when it does happen...air can rapidly accelerate towards the center giving some prolific winds. Don't think we didn't mix from aloft either, lol we actually did in many areas.

I would have done the same..lol. I'll never forget watching ch 5 as they had a home owner on the air live from Falmouth. She sounded completely scared as the water kept rising to the house from Buzzards Bay. She kept saying "oh my God it keeps rising...oh my God what do I do?"

Scooter I know I mixed, I actually watched above me as this tremendous wall of snow rushed down like a blanket from the heavens. With a tremendous rush of wind. I was sleeting at the time, all of a sudden the darkness of a summer T storm enveloped the sky as I looked up it happened, probably coolest natural phenomena I have witnessed in winter.

I've got a pretty good memory of most storms, but I definitely lost track of some of the ones I had in Elementary and a few in Junior High. There are some where I have memories, but just can't put my finger on the date. I'm sure if I dug around a little I'd remember.

That said, there are probably several that I remember every single detail. Jan '96, April Fool's '97, Jan '05 and Dec '05. I still remember how it just hit like a big bag of WTF within seconds.

i have some good memories of 87 (it never snowed back then it seemed so when it did, you savored it...LOL), definitely 96, 99, and so on. like you said, there are ones that i remember but just can't get the date...tons of those actually...to the point where it frustrates me sometimes.

of course, i also mentally blocked out so many storms where Will was running around naked with his yard stick jumping into 4' drifts while i was outside with my umbrella intentionally clogging storm drains to see how big a puddle i could make.

Scooter I know I mixed, I actually watched above me as this tremendous wall of snow rushed down like a blanket from the heavens. With a tremendous rush of wind. I was sleeting at the time, all of a sudden the darkness of a summer T storm enveloped the sky as I looked up it happened, probably coolest natural phenomena I have witnessed in winter.

That's what I had, I went through every transition. I'm pretty sure I had pea size hail, as hail is rather cloudy looking. After that, you could hear the freight train coming as the sky darkened and we had an instant flip to snow. You can see what went through Marshfield on Will's radar loop. Also, the wind would shift from wnw to almost due n, then back wnw again. We must have mixed some winds from aloft down to get a northerly direction..I dunno. Some freaky stuff went on.

i have some good memories of 87 (it never snowed back then it seemed so when it did, you savored it...LOL), definitely 96, 99, and so on. like you said, there are ones that i remember but just can't get the date...tons of those actually...to the point where it frustrates me sometimes.

of course, i also mentally blocked out so many storms where Will was running around naked with his yard stick jumping into 4' drifts while i was outside with my umbrella intentionally clogging storm drains to see how big a puddle i could make.

:lmao:

Of course I have the reverse memory for 1988-1989 when we first moved back here. Cape Cod kept getting snow and it would partly sunny here.

LOL, some of my changeovers are erased. They say we sometimes tend to "forget" about traumatic events. :lol: I know if I dug more I'd remember. I already went back and nailed some dates that I had. 10 years ago, I remembered every event from back in the day.

I actually remember '87-'88 decently. I was pissed at some of the changeovers, but one of the few winters where snow forts could be built.

Phil LOL, did you have the rainbow umbrella back then?, you guys think you forgot a lot of storms, I am shot! I do not know how Jerry does it, good thing I have my books and the Internet, although I remember all the big ones.

i've definitely been a weenie from the beginning.

embarrassing weather moments from childhood - i can still remember in first grade...we were taking a "test" of some kind (the tie your shoes test? i don't know what kind of tests you take in first grade)...so anyway the classroom was basically silent. it had been raining through the morning and it happened to flip to these hvy monster half-dollar sized flakes during the middle of whatever it was were doing and i stood up and yelled out to my friend Dan "Dan! Look how hard it's snowing!!" and the entire class just laughed.

:thumbsdown:

i've definitely been a weenie from the beginning.

embarrassing weather moments from childhood - i can still remember in first grade...we were taking a "test" of some kind (the tie your shoes test? i don't know what kind of tests you take in first grade)...so anyway the classroom was basically silent. it had been raining through the morning and it happened to flip to these hvy monster half-dollar sized flakes during the middle of whatever it was were doing and i stood up and yelled out to my friend Dan "Dan! Look how hard it's snowing!!" and the entire class just laughed.

:thumbsdown:

On a sad note, Dan moved to the M.A. and became a warminista....

Poor Dan

LOL, some of my changeovers are erased. They say we sometimes tend to "forget" about traumatic events. :lol: I know if I dug more I'd remember. I already went back and nailed some dates that I had. 10 years ago, I remembered every event from back in the day.

i wish i had done what steve did...he wrote everything down.

there's also storms that stick with you just because of when they were. the 12/24/98 snow down here was nothing too special (6-8") but it was pretty cool to have that kind of fresh snow at xmas. actually...you were in marshfield i would think, no? so you probably did OK in that one too.

My first weenie memory was an Easter storm early 60s, I woke everybody in the house up yelling it's snowing it's snowing at like 5 am, my Dad was pissed, my brothers hit me, my sisters screamed at me, my Mom looked out the window with me and said, some day you will be a weatherman or a snow plow guy but today you are a kid so get back to bed. Of course I stared out my window at the streetlight until daybreak.

i wish i had done what steve did...he wrote everything down.

there's also storms that stick with you just because of when they were. the 12/24/98 snow down here was nothing too special (6-8") but it was pretty cool to have that kind of fresh snow at xmas. actually...you were in marshfield i would think, no? so you probably did OK in that one too.

That was horrific....we got zippo from that one but only 10-15 miles SE they had like an inch. While it was only an inch, it was enough for a white Christmas. I hate it when we don't get a white Christmas.

That was horrific....we got zippo from that one but only 10-15 miles SE they had like an inch. While it was only an inch, it was enough for a white Christmas. I hate it when we don't get a white Christmas.

:lol:

unless you are talking about cape cod demographics, a white xmas is such a rarity down here. i remember being satisfied with patches of snow left on the ground or dirty piles of plowed snow. 98 was definitely one of my favorites.

:lol:

unless you are talking about cape cod demographics, a white xmas is such a rarity down here. i remember being satisfied with patches of snow left on the ground or dirty piles of plowed snow. 98 was definitely one of my favorites.

I think you had a white christmas down there in 1995 too.

Was 2009 the first White Xmas down there of this decade?