Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

Was so happy to miss it :(

Was working in Albany that morning and driving to CT that afternoon to work at NBC in Hartford. Ughhhhh.

i've never had such an up and down emotional weather day.

it pained me staring at the RADAR and reading the ridiculous reports coming in from BOS and metro west that afternoon. the sun was literally shining in a cloudless sky here with a T of 53F and calm winds while folks just a 45 min drive from me where having thunderstorms, heavy snow, wind, asteroids, you name it.

then a couple of hours later having the air sucked out of my lungs by 80mph winds and a complete whiteout.

i've never had such an up and down emotional weather day.

it pained me staring at the RADAR and reading the ridiculous reports coming in from BOS and metro west that afternoon. the sun was literally shining in a cloudless sky here with a T of 53F and calm winds while folks just a 45 min drive from me where having thunderstorms, heavy snow, wind, asteroids, you name it.

then a couple of hours later having the air sucked out of my lungs by 80mph winds and a complete whiteout.

I remember the first time you told your story of that day, very dramatic . The way you painted the picture it was easy to visualize what transpired. I knew from that post you had the sickness.

Just curiously peaking through the SNE trip down memory lane thread here. Does anybody have a loop of that 12/9/2005 thundersnow epic comma band that annihilated you guys? I remember being amazed watching that unfold from down in NJ where we got a little thump of our own.

dec92005radar.gif

Thanks Will. Looks SICK

I wish I had it about 30 minutes later when the band was even more intense. That loop only shows it just as it was beginning to go nuts. But the inflow in SE MA is pretty amazing to see....the storm was like a little nuke. So compact yet so powerful.

I wish I had it about 30 minutes later when the band was even more intense. That loop only shows it just as it was beginning to go nuts. But the inflow in SE MA is pretty amazing to see....the storm was like a little nuke. So compact yet so powerful.

Yeah I could tell the band was still exploding at the end of your loop, but what you posted still does justice.. That presentation was outstanding too. Another thing I remember from that storm was that poor old weathafella was away and missed it. What I'd do to experience something like that.

Will LOL at the weenie yard stick, some day you will get that elusive three footer.

Closest I came to 3 feet was December 1992 in Holden, MA....I stuck the yard stick into the ground and only 1 inch of it remained at the top. One of these days we'll break 40".

I remember the first time you told your story of that day, very dramatic . The way you painted the picture it was easy to visualize what transpired. I knew from that post you had the sickness.

one of those events i will always remember. i don't log them in my memory bank the way Will does...but obviously certain ones always remain with you. 12/9/05...i feel like i can remember the entire day from 5AM to midnight.

Phil, yea certainly a memory hog in my brain, the best was on here when ten people posted within seconds Pink thunder snow. I was on my deck getting sleet pelted when all heck broke loose, actually had to retreat inside due to the initial intensity. The pic out my front door was right at the flip and Tsnow. My family and friends in SRI had no clue what transpired up here until I sent the video from my phone to them. Unfortunately that phone took a bath with my dog LOL

Phil, yea certainly a memory hog in my brain, the best was on here when ten people posted within seconds Pink thunder snow. I was on my deck getting sleet pelted when all heck broke loose, actually had to retreat inside due to the initial intensity. The pic out my front door was right at the flip and Tsnow. My family and friends in SRI had no clue what transpired up here until I sent the video from my phone to them. Unfortunately that phone took a bath with my dog LOL

it might be the only event in the past 15 years, for me personally, where i actually felt like winter weather can still have a serious impact on society (so often - outside of major traffic jams, winter storms are so well forecast that the impacts are relatively "minor" ((and of course ice storms)).

everything was f-ed up down here that afternoon. public safety radios failed, kids were stuck at schools, kids were stuck on buses stranded on highways, trees down all over the place, communication towers blown down...just insane.

it might be the only event in the past 15 years, for me personally, where i actually felt like winter weather can still have a serious impact on society (so often - outside of major traffic jams, winter storms are so well forecast that the impacts are relatively "minor" ((and of course ice storms)).

everything was f-ed up down here that afternoon. public safety radios failed, kids were stuck at schools, kids were stuck on buses stranded on highways, trees down all over the place, communication towers blown down...just insane.

Every so often we get an event that reminds us how helpless we can be to the weather....even if only for a brief period.

December 2008 ice storm was like that here, just complete disaster for a few days. I think basically the entire town of Holden was without power for 3 days.

Cetainly a big disaster down your way. When the Tropo reaches the surface very bad things happen. 12/13/07 was a traffic disaster, worst possible scenario in 05 but quick mover, now stall that and then see what the fook happens. Not out of the realm, highly unlikely but....... Then follow that with record cold, ya never know?

I've got a pretty good memory of most storms, but I definitely lost track of some of the ones I had in Elementary and a few in Junior High. There are some where I have memories, but just can't put my finger on the date. I'm sure if I dug around a little I'd remember.

That said, there are probably several that I remember every single detail. Jan '96, April Fool's '97, Jan '05 and Dec '05. I still remember how it just hit like a big bag of WTF within seconds.

Cetainly a big disaster down your way. When the Tropo reaches the surface very bad things happen. 12/13/07 was a traffic disaster, worst possible scenario in 05 but quick mover, now stall that and then see what the fook happens. Not out of the realm, highly unlikely but....... Then follow that with record cold, ya never know?

I always wondered how bad December 2008 could have been if a brutal arctic outbreak followed it. Or, get a slightly colder version of Dec 2008 and then follow it with a brutal cold outbreak. You'd have people freezing to death probably...sadly.