Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/13 Light/Moderate Snowfall Nowcasting & Observations

Northof78

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Up to just about 3” in Long Beach with another moderate burst now (still nothing on pavement). Very pleasantly surprised by this, I was almost certain this would be a bust. 

Snow is still backbuilding to southwestern Nassau, this should keep going until sometime between 5-6 here.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Snow is still backbuilding to southwestern Nassau, this should keep going until sometime between 5-6 here.

Down to 31 here, maybe we can really start to accumulate soon if it can keep up. This would be an easy 5” if it was 29-30 instead. But this is a great winter reminder/mood snow event and no shoveling lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Down to 31 here, maybe we can really start to accumulate soon if it can keep up. This would be an easy 5” if it was 29-30 instead. But this is a great winter reminder/mood snow event and no shoveling lol. 

Yep and I think this will get us to average seasonal snowfall.

The cardinals and other birds love this snow lol, I think they're drinking water from it?

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

So just barely in the normal range then (20-25 was what the NWS had as the normal range here.)

Not the way to look at it. 20.3 inches is definitely ahead of avg on this date. The avg as of Feb 1 was below 15 inches for all 3 NYC airports. (not sure what it is for 2/13, but it can't be 5 inches more)

• Like 1

Just now, Jt17 said:

Not the way to look at it. 20.3 inches is definitely ahead of avg on this date. The avg as of Feb 1 was below 15 inches for all 3 NYC airports. (not sure what it is for 2/13, but it can't be 5 inches more)

True, I'm looking at it as "if it didn't snow anymore after this" but it looks like March could be more promising than we earlier thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If I managed 3" here on the barrier island south shore I'm sure Central Park where it was actually colder had 3-4".

They only record .22 liquid though so I'm not sure...its an undermeasurement for sure but given the reliability of that ASOS to be close on LE I bet they got 2.3 or 2.4 at most...there were numerous little mesoscale area of subsidence and stonger bands

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

They only record .22 liquid though so I'm not sure...its an undermeasurement for sure but given the reliability of that ASOS to be close on LE I bet they got 2.3 or 2.4 at most...there were numerous little mesoscale area of subsidence and stonger bands

If that's the case then probably. We lucked out down here a lot more than I thought, seriously would've been near a warning event if it was a few degrees colder. I definitely admit I was wrong thinking this would be a bust. You called the better than models showed event! Maybe one more burst coming up from Monmouth, fingers crossed lol. Flurries now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

If that's the case then probably. We lucked out down here a lot more than I thought, seriously would've been near a warning event if it was a few degrees colder. I definitely admit I was wrong thinking this would be a bust. You called the better than models showed event! Maybe one more burst coming up from Monmouth, fingers crossed lol. Flurries now. 

What time do you think it was the heaviest and what time did we have max snow cover do you think?

Nothing but mood flakes down here in Ocean Co. Snowing all day with about an hour of sleet mixed in, only accumulated on grass early this morning to about half an inch then promptly melted. Temps went up to 36* then back to 33 here now. 

Pumped you all made out like bandits up north; I certainly can’t complain down here after 1/29 getting 16-18”. 

Here’s to hoping we see a few flakes in March. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Often times in these marginal temp events, especially in Feb/Mar we will see airports report low...NYC usually won't though but we have had a bunch of storms over the years this time of year or later near 32-33 and JFK or LGA might report 4 while a person 2 miles away gets 6-7 in their yard 

Why dont they just put a slab of dry ice outside and measure the amount of snow that falls on that?  I'm serious-- that would actually measure the amount of snow that fell from the sky as opposed to the amount that was the result after melting.