• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/13 Light/Moderate Snowfall Nowcasting & Observations

Northof78

Good morning all. The inner UHI blessed city does retain its heat. As a result there was little to no accumulations on sidewalks. Non paved untreated surfaces were quite different. 
The postage stamp and vicinity are dressed nicely in their late season garb. I wonder, sometimes, if it will be the last time I see it in this peaceful state. Stay well everyone. As always ….

8E1EC186-0126-4DAF-A285-F912601664EB.jpeg

B5E3A16E-3883-45EB-B0AC-3C86E445E8B3.jpeg

• Like 6

One other note: while this mornings snow was separated from the coastal low, that won't be the case later this afternoon-tonight when the precip shields join forces. Could be quite a nice event, esp e LI, e CT-e MA with an 850 mb low developing near the Ma coast. This morning in my opinion was primarily FGEN related which is why it was fluffy-better dendrite growth in colder mid levels. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 8:00 am we're up to 2.25" OTG with 1/2" the last hour. 31F. Here's a pretty picture... worth a walk outside y'all.  Also, you can see from the pic that the lightly traveled road across the street is still fully snow-covered, while the busier street right in front of our house is only partly slush-covered, as traffic has warmed things up a bit and melted some of the snow.  

May be an image of 1 person, car, snow and road

As of 9:00 am, we have 2.6" of snow (only 1/10th of an inch the last hour) and I just cleared the snowboard (every 6 hours), so let's see if we get much more or not.  I'm guessing another 1/2" given that we have some snow bands incoming from the SW.  It's 32F here and will stay around 32F for the next several hours before dropping into the 20s this evening.  Just shoveled as we have enough on the driveway/sidewalks that won't melt before this evening and I don't want frozen slush for the next 2 days.  

Also, the NWS update just said it looks like accumulating snow in NWNJ (esp Warren/Sussex) and the Lehigh Valley, which overperformed with 3-5" of snow, so far, is over, but that they're seeing snow bands blossoming over SWNJ/SEPA (clear on the radar), which should impact the 95 corridor and much of SNJ and the coast for the next several hours with another inch or so possible, although that snow will very likely only accumulate on colder surfaces now that the sun is up and stronger and temps are at or slightly above 32F.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
912 AM EST Sun Feb 13 2022

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
There was a bit of a lull in the snowfall rates this morning.
However, another band of snow was beginning to develop and
advect northeastward along the Interstate 95 Corridor and
vicinity around 9:00 AM. That should continue to be the trend
during the balance of the morning with the band drifting
eastward and off the coast late this afternoon. With
temperatures at or just above freezing, additional snowfall
amounts in those area should be no more than an inch or two.

Meanwhile, for the areas to the northwest of the Interstate 95
Corridor where the overnight snow over-performed, the current
trends suggest little additional snow accumulation, with the
snow mostly coming to an end by afternoon.

The Winter Weather Advisories will be left in place and may
need to be adjusted around midday.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

2.5" here so far. Another nice little band blossomed on radar so we're back to moderate snow and the flakes are big. Maybe we can get to 3 inches here. Beautiful out there with the wet snow covering everything. Nice event.

Probably our best rates of this sad winter. Will probably get 3-3.5 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Probably our best rates of this sad winter. Will probably get 3-3.5 

Yeah the 2 snowstorms in January were nice, but we didn't have the big beautiful flakes that we have right now. We were at about 15 before this event, so this will get us to 18 or a little over for the winter. Late February looking very warm, so this is likely our only snow event for February. It's going to take a good March snowstorm to get us to near normal snowfall for the winter here. But if it doesn't happen, at least this wasn't one of those disasterous winters with single digits snowfall. Getting close to 20 inches for a winter here certainly isn't good, but it also isn't horrible.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 9:00 am, we have 2.6" of snow (only 1/10th of an inch the last hour) and I just cleared the snowboard (every 6 hours), so let's see if we get much more or not.  I'm guessing another 1/2" given that we have some snow bands incoming from the SW.  It's 32F here and will stay around 32F for the next several hours before dropping into the 20s this evening.  Just shoveled as we have enough on the driveway/sidewalks that won't melt before this evening and I don't want frozen slush for the next 2 days.  

Also, the NWS update just said it looks like accumulating snow in NWNJ (esp Warren/Sussex) and the Lehigh Valley, which overperformed with 3-5" of snow, so far, is over, but that they're seeing snow bands blossoming over SWNJ/SEPA (clear on the radar), which should impact the 95 corridor and much of SNJ and the coast for the next several hours with another inch or so possible, although that snow will very likely only accumulate on colder surfaces now that the sun is up and stronger and temps are at or slightly above 32F.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
912 AM EST Sun Feb 13 2022

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
There was a bit of a lull in the snowfall rates this morning.
However, another band of snow was beginning to develop and
advect northeastward along the Interstate 95 Corridor and
vicinity around 9:00 AM. That should continue to be the trend
during the balance of the morning with the band drifting
eastward and off the coast late this afternoon. With
temperatures at or just above freezing, additional snowfall
amounts in those area should be no more than an inch or two.

Meanwhile, for the areas to the northwest of the Interstate 95
Corridor where the overnight snow over-performed, the current
trends suggest little additional snow accumulation, with the
snow mostly coming to an end by afternoon.

The Winter Weather Advisories will be left in place and may
need to be adjusted around midday.

As of 10:00 am, we hit 3.0", with 0.4" the last hour and most of that in the last 20 minutes with the moderate band we're under.  My driveway and sidewalks are getting snow-covered again after shoveling.  Still 32F

• Like 1