Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 13-14 snowstorm/nor’easter potential

George001

Mark Rosenthal going big

“I think we get a moderate snowstorm in Boston....Starting early tomorrow morning and not really ending until late tomorrow night. My early thoughts are 3-6"+ form Boston to Worcester and 4-8"+ from Plymouth to Cape Cod. Bitter cold to follow late tomorrow night and Monday.”

5 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The largest snowfall here was 7" of sand from the blizzard. 

I'm at 18" for the season. 

2 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

No way, nothing close to that.

And amounts dropped off from there at the border, in fact some nw parts of Springfield only had 3 inches. I had 5 three miles north of the border

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Nam is coming in snowier for alot of areas . Low is also further northwest. 

Not a difficult feat for model with a typical NW bias ...  altho, admittedly, it typically expresses that more often > 48 hours, still - it's not really setting well with me that it is the farthest NW.  I've described that bias more than a handful of times. It seem folks are not adopting much awareness ... I suspect because of situations similar to this here, where they need it's NW bias to keep hope alive?

Relative to the guidance, nonetheless: The blossoming of that QPF appears almost entirely driven by a very powerful 300mb wind max which accelerates, and situates an axis extending from the interior MA to Maine/NS... close to 180 mph!   The entire I-95 corridor in that NAM run is under it's lateral exit/entrance region, ... too far away NW to be directly attributed to the frontal wave escaping off the low mid Atlantic - I think others mentioned this.  Anyway, it excites upward vertical motion parallel, and associated elevated frontogenic banding from the DC to Boston.   The GFS has the same 300 mb jet structuring... but opts to tilt the QPF axis more ESE keeping lift axis' S of SNE in that guidance.  Not sure which is right ... I suspect there is enough agreement among all runs to have that band, and it fits the synoptic argument described above...  but the GFS is obviously deliberately engineered to always be the less fun run  jeez

The whole thing looks like an attempt at ANA like mechanics really to me.  Little leery of that... for like ANA ...they tend to be hotly QPF'ed, but end up eaten alive by dry air and slant-wise undercutting NVA/DVM .. taking water mass out of the lower thickness intervals.  It may do that here, and prove that band is there ...aloft.  It would not shock me if a lot of that is a raging virga shield. 

But, ..ugh.. that's not all of it.  There's likely to be some OES activity given that high's orientation, and the fresh new polar -arctic hybrid air flowing long shore into the coast early Monday. That could be an add on. In fact, the QPF looks suspiciously like the GFS is attempting to upslope against the Monadnocks and lower Whites ... which if is real, would be doing that over ORH too

55 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You haven’t answered much of anything. This looks like a 2-4 to BDL

Already gave my thoughts…might change based on 00z…but sticking with 1-2” maybe 3” for interior…best chance for advisory or better in SE MA

11 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Kind of curious if NWS will put any Winter Weather Advisories up for SNE? 

Upton thinks it's all going to melt.

With record warmth today (highs in the
50s and 60s) ground temperatures remain well above freezing. In
addition, some of the 12z forecast guidance keeps temperatures
above freezing (33-35 degrees) during parts of the day Sunday.
While p-type is expected to be all snow, if these surface
temperatures do stay right around 32 or slightly above 32, we
may not see a lot of snow sticking to roads, and may be confined
to just the grassy surfaces.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Upton thinks it's all going to melt.

With record warmth today (highs in the
50s and 60s) ground temperatures remain well above freezing. In
addition, some of the 12z forecast guidance keeps temperatures
above freezing (33-35 degrees) during parts of the day Sunday.
While p-type is expected to be all snow, if these surface
temperatures do stay right around 32 or slightly above 32, we
may not see a lot of snow sticking to roads, and may be confined
to just the grassy surfaces.

All about the rates…if it’s light snow then that thinking will prevail.  If it snows hard..it’ll stick/accumulate everywhere no matter what.  So they better hope it’s light snow rates. 

24 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

All about the rates…if it’s light snow then that thinking will prevail.  If it snows hard..it’ll stick/accumulate everywhere no matter what.  So they better hope it’s light snow rates. 

I don't see it above freezing over most of the area on current runs of the meso's, what do I know I'm just a weenie with a computer.