• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 2-4th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

Looks nice, but realistically  when does the continuous moderate snow end?

That's a good question. Shifting to HRRR short range model...I'd say late morning? The below sounding is pretty good looking at 11 am for KSYZ ...the snowfall total is thru 21Z (4pm)

hrrr_2022020400_016_KSYR.png

sn10_acc.us_ne (2).png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The obligatory jeb walk

Love your dog.

That's very similar to the video I took last winter where the neighbor stopped me at 1 in the morning (after he took a loop around the block in his jeep) and voiced "neighbor concerns" as they saw someone on their Ring cams 'scoping out homes."

I wonder how he would have responded if I told him the truth: "No, really...the only thing I care about in your yard is how much snow you have."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Love your dog.

That's very similar to the video I took last winter where the neighbor stopped me at 1 in the morning (after he took a loop around the block in his jeep) and voiced "neighbor concerns" as they saw someone on their Ring cams 'scoping out homes."

I wonder how he would have responded if I told him the truth: "No, really...the only thing I care about in your yard is how much snow you have."

There is something so relaxing when snow is falling and walking alone at night with your dog. Its calms my soul lol.

• Like 6

Cleared the board again a couple minutes ago…2.5” of absolute dust, probably 8:1. That brings the daily total to just about 7 inches and I’d take that ~7” of this quality snow over 15 inches of 20:1 any day of the week. Plus it’s now been snowing for 24 hours straight which I really enjoy. Seems like we could get another 2-5 so perhaps a total of 9-12 at this point.  
Total on the ground right now is 14” so we start adding days to that interesting daily snow on the ground statistics (12”) that is notoriously hard to tack on any days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Cleared the board again a couple minutes ago…2.5” of absolute dust, probably 8:1. That brings the daily total to just about 7 inches and I’d take that that ~7” of this quality snow over 15 inches of 20:1 any day of the week. Plus it’s now been snowing for 24 hours straight which I really enjoy. Seems like we could get another 2-5 so perhaps a total of 9-12 at this point.  
Total on the ground right now is 14” so we start adding days to that interesting daily snow on the ground statistics (12”) that is notoriously hard to tack on any days.

Wow, only 15 hours here, and true accumulating snow has been 12 hours. So, it took an additional NINE hours for the snow line to go the short distance from ROC to SYR.

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, I was trying to find how much the snowpack melted from perusing the New England and New York City subforums.

48 degree dewpoints down there. Yikes.

I just looked thru CoCoRAHS reports this a.m., generally a few inches more than us where the storm hit in SNE but less than Erie Cty out near Buffalo. And I went from 8" to 5.5" depth in past couple of days.  A lot of them will be clean sheet by tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Blue Moon said:

Oswego storm total just under 7 inches so far. Could still have several more inches ahead!

Curious is conditions will become more favorable for dendritic growth as this event progresses. Right now we have a nose that's warmer than the desirable -10 to -20 C window. We're almost at -10 C at the sfc right now but you don't hit that temperature again until you go up to the 600mb level. Once we get near that mark for the 850-600 mb level we'll hopefully get some bigger flakes that will give us a boost!

HRRR looks favorable for snow continuing almost all day tomorrow in Oswego. It may be lighter but we could have bigger flakes.

Another thing- our RH at the SFC is below 90%. Cold, dry air is really trying to fight its way forward.

Could you post a close up of a random model Kuchie for Rochester area? Asking for a friend...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sferic said:

Just took this off my Long Island Backyard  Cam remaining snow from the foot I went for last week

by.JPG

Really?  That's worse than I thought. It's why I so hated most winters down there. As much as we bitch up here, cuz thats what we do, we do maintain snow depth and a winter feel a lot better.

• Like 1