• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 2-4th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My car has been through a month of frigid cold, snow and ice. I did quite a bit of chasing around the area and got into some deep stuff. There was salt all over that thing and underneath. If you use that logic you should never get a carwash in winter as we usually have 3-4 months of this. Salt would eat away at the car over the course of that time period. Should I get a car wash in November and wait until March for my 2nd one? I got rid of all the salt/snow residue that accumulated on my car the last few weeks. The longer its on there the more damage it causes.

If you drive enough the $25 delta monthly program pays for itself. You save 12-22 cents a gallon depending on the promos.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My car has been through a month of frigid cold, snow and ice. I did quite a bit of chasing around the area and got into some deep stuff. There was salt all over that thing and underneath. If you use that logic you should never get a carwash in winter as we usually have 3-4 months of this. Salt would eat away at the car over the course of that time period. Should I get a car wash in November and wait until March for my 2nd one? I got rid of all the salt/snow residue that accumulated on my car the last few weeks. The longer its on there the more damage it causes.

Taking your last statement, you are only getting about 12 hours at most with the salt off.  Not a good return on investment.  Just my two cents, you do you man.  It's not my money.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

What's the logic to getting a car wash 12 hours before it will be absolutely obliterated with salt and road slop?  I could see getting it this previous Sunday when you would have gotten a few days of dry roads. 

Because it's the 1st warm day where it wouldn't turn your car into an  ice shell... And any time you can get extra salt off your car... the better.

• Like 4

Looks like all the short range models are correcting towards the globals as expected with a farther SE track. Anafrontals usually go further SE then modeled especially with that high to the north. Deepening systems such as we had 2 weeks ago have a tendency to go further NW last second. Definitely learned something with these last few storms. Hopefully we get a Miller B so we can cover all basis. Miller A, Miller B, and Anafrontal. :lol:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Taking your last statement, you are only getting about 12 hours at most with the salt off.  Not a good return on investment.  Just my two cents, you do you man.  It's not my money.

All the salt of the last 2 months is off though. If I never got the wash it would still be on and added too. :lol:

Salt Truck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

I saw and said the same thing to myself earlier…

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

13 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I got mine done the other day. Something cathartic about getting all that grime off. 

13 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well I washed my truck when I got home from Vemont on Sunday, which gave me a few days to enjoy a clean truck and let it dry out.  Just seems like if you waited until today it was too late.  I'll probably wash it again this weekend after these next couple days of chasing and when we have a solid week or so before the next storm.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Exactly this. Maybe my reasoning is off but that salt underneath my car for months on end has to do some damage.

My warehouse sits on the same property as a small self-wash (bay wash) that the owner of the brewery brought back to life (he owns our building plus that building)

The last three days have been the busiest I've ever seen it in the last 4 months since I moved in there. I completely get it, I wash my car once a week regardless of weather (I did this once during 15 degree weather with a slight windchill and paid for it.. I almost couldn't get back into my car it was so frozen over.).

I'm tempted to pickup a pressure washer for the sleds and my car and the warehouse (floors + door etc)because everything needs a good wash.

Anyway end rant sorry lol.

Balmy 45 here in Middletown, patiently awaiting that massive rain to clean everything and then it looks like NYC office is predicting .10-.15 of ice for us. Fun times.

• Like 1

I definitely did this a few times this winter :lol:

The Fight Against Road Salt Car Damage – What can you do?

To prolong the life of your vehicle during the winter months, it is critical to understand how to stop rust on a car. You can implement several simple solutions as part of your regular maintenance program to protect your vehicle from corrosive damage.

• Wash your car as soon as possible after each snow or ice storm. At maximum every ten days.
  • Wash your car when temperatures reach 40°F or higher.
  • Washing your car in daylight hours gives it a better chance of completely drying before temperatures drop at night time.
  • Open and close all the doors, hatch, and trunk after washing your car, and lock and unlock doors multiple times. This should be done as soon as possible to prevent freezing shut.
  • Avoid driving in deep snow; it packs against the bottom of the car. This can contribute to rusting and cause driving hazards.

1 minute ago, CoolMikeWx said:

My warehouse sits on the same property as a small self-wash (bay wash) that the owner of the brewery brought back to life (he owns our building plus that building)

The last three days have been the busiest I've ever seen it in the last 4 months since I moved in there. I completely get it, I wash my car once a week regardless of weather (I did this once during 15 degree weather with a slight windchill and paid for it.. I almost couldn't get back into my car it was so frozen over.).

I'm tempted to pickup a pressure washer for the sleds and my car and the warehouse (floors + door etc)because everything needs a good wash.

Anyway end rant sorry lol.

Balmy 45 here in Middletown, patiently awaiting that massive rain to clean everything and then it looks like NYC office is predicting .10-.15 of ice for us. Fun times.

A thought on winter car washes…your geography makes a big difference. I occasionally wash my cars (at home) if we have several cold dry days upcoming where they won’t be filthy again immediately. However, if you live in Syracuse or south of Buffalo those consecutive days with no snow are few and far between.  If you live in Elmira, downstate, or even NE of the lakes, you are MUCH more likely to enjoy a clean car more often because you rely on synoptic storms and don’t get (seemingly) daily snow showers off the lakes.   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

If you drive enough the $25 delta monthly program pays for itself. You save 12-22 cents a gallon depending on the promos.

My wife and I have it for that reason…and we picked it up for $19.99 just before Christmas. I believe it’s .18 cents/gallon lower. Pays almost 3/4 of that in discounts. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Because it's the 1st warm day where it wouldn't turn your car into an  ice shell... And any time you can get extra salt off your car... the better.

I guess this is the logic but I pass a delta sonic a lot of days and it's slammed regardless of temperature.  I mean even days in the teens and the line is long.  

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I guess this is the logic but I pass a delta sonic a lot of days and it's slammed regardless of temperature.  I mean even days in the teens and the line is long.  

I usually only do 2-3 car washes from Nov-March. I just don't like salt sitting underneath my car for 3-4 months straight. This was my first one this year.

1 minute ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Man 6 weeks ago we were all cutting off our nuts for 3-6” now we’re gonna meh a 8-12” storm. Funny how fast things change around here. 

Nighttime is going to help us with the changeover. Detriot had issues changing over all day. Also the storm going slightly southeast will help us with ratios even though slightly less QPF up here. The end result is still a foot of snow across most of WNY.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nighttime is going to help us with the changeover. Detriot had issues changing over all day. Also the storm going slightly southeast will help us with ratios even though slightly less QPF up here. The end result is still a foot of snow across most of WNY.

RGEM and NAM 3k either held with 12z precip or increased. Even on the northern periphery. They do seem a tad cooler for our Bing peeps. nam3km_apcpn_neus_fh51_trend.thumb.gif.e12aa0094d0c652145a0832d4c2de75d.gif