Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not sure enso drives the bus the same way anymore. The last Nino behaved like a Nina. Last winter and this didn’t really behave like canonical Nina’s either. There was plenty of stj this year and the pac pattern was almost dead opposite a typical Nina.   If we had any Atlantic help at all I think we would have done very well. Nina wasn’t our biggest problem a raging positive NAO was. 

I generally concur with this assessment.

Last winter the impact of HL blocking was largely mitigated due to the complete lack of legitimate cold in our source region.

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I generally concur with this assessment.

Last winter the impact of HL blocking was largely mitigated due to the complete lack of legitimate cold in our source region.

We need to time up last years Atlantic pattern with this years pac pattern. I suppose a Nino would help increase the odds, at least it can’t hurt. But our biggest problem since 2016 is that both the pac and Atlantic long term base states are opposite of what we want. There is variance but when both are spending 75% of the time in a bad look it gets really difficult to time them both up. And for all the attempts to simplify things to one factor (it’s enso, cold, precip, pac, Atlantic) truth is we need some help from both if we want to get a big winter which if we’re being honest is what most in here are hunting for. 

• Like 1

The window for a big event seems to have been shut down. Climo says MAYBE we get a little fun, but this winter is almost ready for a fork, a serenade, a Schwarzenegger Spanish goodbye..... Close the blinds.... (hopefully 12z just smacks me silly and brings it.. but I doubt it!)

Severe season is close!  

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

The window for a big event seems to have been shut down. Climo says MAYBE we get a little fun, but this winter is almost ready for a fork, a serenade, a Schwarzenegger Spanish goodbye..... Close the blinds.... (hopefully 12z just smacks me silly and brings it.. but I doubt it!)

Severe season is close!  

This season is now like a 40 year old football quarterback. Maybe he gets another good season or two; but the window for greatness is quickly closing. 

9 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Severe season is close!  

January was fun.  that was winter..one month...I got my fork ready

It is interesting to look back and see just how terrible February has been since 2010, at least down here by DC.  Since 2010, my house and DCA:

• 2011 (0.3", 0.5")
  • 2012 (0.3", 0.3")
  • 2013 (0.6", 0.4")
  • 2014 (17.9", 11.2")
  • 2015 (10.3", 9.8")
  • 2016 (4.4", 3.1")
  • 2017 (T, T)
  • 2018 (1.2", 0.2")
  • 2019 (5.1", 3.7")
  • 2020 (T, T)
  • 2021 (4.4", 2.8")
  • 2022 (0.5", T)

Climo is 5" at DCA, meaning that we have exceeded climo fewer times than recording a T over these dozen years.  The median is about a half inch!

27 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is interesting to look back and see just how terrible February has been since 2010, at least down here by DC.  Since 2010, my house and DCA:

• 2011 (0.3", 0.5")
  • 2012 (0.3", 0.3")
  • 2013 (0.6", 0.4")
  • 2014 (17.9", 11.2")
  • 2015 (10.3", 9.8")
  • 2016 (4.4", 3.1")
  • 2017 (T, T)
  • 2018 (1.2", 0.2")
  • 2019 (5.1", 3.7")
  • 2020 (T, T)
  • 2021 (4.4", 2.8")
  • 2022 (0.5", T)

Climo is 5" at DCA, meaning that we have exceeded climo fewer times than recording a T over these dozen years.  The median is about a half inch!

This January was a B in my opinion, but February has been an F.  Absent a March miracle we’re looking at a C- winter.  

I’m putting this winter as a B-, saved in Frederick by two decent storms. This is a relative grade compared to the last 2 winters. It’s my first time living up here and I’m just glad it actually snowed. Realistically, it’s probably a C+. One more warning level snowfall and it’s a solid B.

56 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I’d put Jan at a B+/A- in my book.  Problem is that it is bookended by Fs.

Yeah I would go with an A here for Jan, I can't recall a better one in many years. December was awful as usual, and February has sucked other than still having snow otg for the first few days.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I would go with an A here for Jan, I can't recall a better one in many years. December was awful as usual, and February has sucked other than still having snow otg for the first few days.

Of course Jan was an A for some and a C for others...lol So averaging it out for the whole subforum I'd give it a B-. For my yard a definite C...because getting skunked that Monday sucked! That and the poor ROI tracking the rest of the month was also annoying. You'd think it could've gone better...but looking at the lack of Atlantic help, you can see why it wasn't. 

I had predicted 13-15" for this winter...BWI is at 14 and my yard around 11, so that's turning out to be true :D (unfortunately). I'm sure if we can't get March to produce for the n/nw crew they'd rate this winter lower, lol

Is this what we're doing now? Winter is over? Fine with me, I'm ready to get some sun.

A+ January in Charlottesville, we averaged 3.0F below average from Jan 3rd-31st and depending on what measurements you look at it was somewhere in the top 5-10 range for Jan snowfall since 1920.  I measured ~18.5" at my place. Hadn't seen an epic pattern like that since living in DC in 2015. We also got REALLY lucky with the mid-month storm. Never got above freezing here during that event so we maintained the snowpack for about 4 weeks straight. Would've been nice to have another 1-2 storms to track, but I broke my thumb skiing late Jan so the season ended for me then and there... bring on severe season!

Overall winter rating: B, short but sweet for western-central VA

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I’m putting this winter as a B-, saved in Frederick by two decent storms. This is a relative grade compared to the last 2 winters. It’s my first time living up here and I’m just glad it actually snowed. Realistically, it’s probably a C+. One more warning level snowfall and it’s a solid B.

I've been here all my life of 42 years. There's a great deal of variation across the county due to the terrain, but I can't go above a C unless downtown sees a 6 inch storm. Hasn't happened yet this year though.

Definitely a D for my Yard. I'm in Washington County about 3 miles from the M/D line.

12" on the season. Average is about 28"

The only reason I dont give an F is  because I did have a 6" storm back in the middle of January.  Was totally whiffed on the Jan. 3rd.

Nickled and Dimmed my way to 12"

10 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Definitely a D for my Yard. I'm in Washington County about 3 miles from the M/D line.

The only reason I dont give an F is  because I did have a 6" storm back in the middle of January.  Was totally whiffed on the Jan. 3rd.

I’d agree with this grade. Of course it’s not over yet lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I'm with ya on that grade.  11.6" here.  A march blizzard could change my mind but it has been frustrating so far.  Starting to get the itch for some smallmouth fishing and it is still Feb. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rollenwiese said:

I've been here all my life of 42 years. There's a great deal of variation across the county due to the terrain, but I can't go above a C unless downtown sees a 6 inch storm. Hasn't happened yet this year though.

yea, i expected more, but the last 2 winters were a joke in bethesda (where i used to live), so i was ok with this.  i kinda feel like we might get one more storm...we'll see.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic