Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

20 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs has a temporary 50/50 low at hour 180

So that's why that high never really moved, I was wondering what was going on. The setup looks interesting, the freezing line never really moved that much until the low was on the same line of height as Pittsburg. It almost 200 hours away so lets see if the storm is still there the next run.

25 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Mhm, better cold press and a stronger HP overtop compared to previous ensemble runs.

This has been an error in the GFS/GEFS at range with recent events, so lets see how the trends play out over the coming days in comparison with the Canadians and the Europeans.

• Like 1

The 0z GEFS tracks the next Friday wave further NW similar to the EPS, thus the signal for frozen is much weaker than previous runs. Still a week or so out.

The better window starts a couple days later when the cold gets more established, and the latest ensemble runs are suggesting multiple chances in that timeframe. Looks promising.

I am sure someone will post the 0z GEFS snowfall mean for that period, take it verbatim, and whinge. B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Said it once... I'll say it again... I really really like what I'm seeing. It's a really convoluted way to get blocking but we'll take it any way we can get it. The types of storms that happen with compressed/confluent flow don't need a sub 1000mb slp for a big hit. It goes back to what I talked about when the fake bowl pattern was showing. Get the hose from the W-SW pointed at your yard on the cold side of the boundary and a foot+ is possible without a big synoptic event. We could use an "easy" one lol. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Said it once... I'll say it again... I really really like what I'm seeing. It's a really convoluted way to get blocking but we'll take it any way we can get it. The types of storms that happen with compressed/confluent flow don't need a sub 1000mb slp for a big hit. It goes back to what I talked about when the fake bowl pattern was showing. Get the hose from the W-SW pointed at your yard on the cold side of the boundary and a foot+ is possible without a big synoptic event. We could use an "easy" one lol. 

The -EPO ridge advertised may be the strongest of the winter? And it’s not fantasyland. The PAC jet extension that starts kicking it off begins in 48-72hrs. The Atlantic side is weirder, but a properly placed TPV can do good things for us. I think that’s the bigger wild card, however.

Does look like a very juicy pattern coming up. My instinct is that slop/mix storms are heavily favored over pure snow given both the pattern and the calendar. But even a front end snow transitioning to mix/rain could be a big hit given the moisture plume and cold air source. 

• Like 8

Those ens maps above show a cad signature. The gfs more so than the eps. 

The posts made by @CAPE, @Bob Chill, @losetoa6, @brooklynwx99 are encouraging. I’m excited because at this time of year you can get plenty of precip events. With cold air abundant to the north, snowpack, cold water, it isn’t hard to get some of that to drop south and cad events are easier to come by.

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Those ens maps above show a cad signature. The gfs more so than the eps. 

The posts made by @CAPE, @Bob Chill, @losetoa6, @brooklynwx99 are encouraging. I’m excited because at this time of year you can get plenty of precip events. With cold air abundant to the north, snowpack, cold water, it isn’t hard to get some of that to drop south and cad events are easier to come by.

I really like what I am seeing beginning next weekend. Imo the progression of the pattern is such that late next week is probably too soon. Sure there could be a mix to rain deal, and could end up better out your way. Keep in mind the GFS has been in error with depicting colder solutions at range recently, especially in situations where colder air is arriving. Clearly the primary window for frozen lies just beyond next week.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Is the cold from a displaced PV? I remember having cold and blocking due to the PV in 2014- 15. 

17 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Is the cold from a displaced PV? I remember having cold and blocking due to the PV in 2014- 15. 

Yes, our Atlantic "blocking" in an anti-atlantic blocking regime is the PV itself. I posted about this sometime last week if you remember. The tpv drops into the US often so that's not rare. But it usually drops south then pulls north. Without a -nao or -ao, the only thing that can "block" the tpv from a quick pull north is ridge extensions from either the EPO region or Scandinavia. Looks like both are showing up now. This forces the tpv track more laterally and ultimately squishes heights in the 50/50 general area. That's blocking regardless of what any numerical index says. In the panel below, the tpv itself is the block and it could end up being a good one. Lots of time to kill tho...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_49.png

Eta: blocking for our purposes is anything and everything that keeps a storm from tracking northward with ease. In the panel above, any storm that tracks north into that confluence is going to get stopped in its tracks. That's a legit upper level wall and if it's real, it will become quite distracting. Lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yes, our Atlantic "blocking" in an anti-atlantic blocking regime is the PV itself. I posted about this sometime last week if you remember. The tpv drops into the US often so that's not rare. But it usually drops south then pulls north. Without a -nao or -ao, the only thing that can "block" the tpv from a quick pull north is ridge extensions from either the EPO region or Scandinavia. Looks like both are showing up now. This forces the tpv track more laterally and ultimately squishes heights in the 50/50 general area. That's blocking regardless of what any numerical index says. In the panel below, the tpv itself is the block and it could end up being a good one. Lots of time to kill tho...

Eta: blocking for our purposes is anything and everything that keeps a storm from tracking northward with ease. In the panel above, any storm that tracks north into that confluence is going to get stopped in its tracks. That's a legit upper level wall and if it's real, it will become quite distracting. Lol

Thanks for the explanation! 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I would characterize the interplay between the vortex near the Aleutians, the poleward extending EPO ridge, and the TPV lobe(s) collectively as a block. It seems to get kicked off by a cyclonic wave break out of the Aleutian vortex that pinches off the Pac ridge and amps it up into the EPO space, followed by a poleward anticyclonic wave break, which sends the TPV lobe south, and then it all becomes self sustained. Loading the h5 vorticity panel and hitting play is fun stuff. Turbulent flow on the largest scale.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic