Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You’re always confused.

“I know I am, but what are you?”       Why are some posters so reactive? Is it really that bad if someone disagrees, teases or jibes? Or, God forbid, outright criticizes.

Mark Twain has a famous saying  about this, just saying. 
Think before hitting the keys.

8 minutes ago, baldereagle said:

“I know I am, but what are you?”       Why are some posters so reactive? Is it really that bad if someone disagrees, teases or jibes? Or, God forbid, outright criticizes.

Mark Twain has a famous saying  about this, just saying. 
Think before hitting the keys.

I mean well but I know that my posts can be subpar, so I understand when I am criticized or made fun of I understand. I also know that it’s not an attack on me as a person but my posts. I guess I don’t really understand why some people get so ticked at others when made fun of, this is the internet after all.

For what it is worth, the percent of EPS members giving DC greater than 3" of snow/sleet through 0 UT Feb 26 (10 days from yesterday evening) has increased from 2 to 8 to 18% over the last 3 cycles (00 UT Feb 15, 12 UT Feb 16, and 00 UT Feb 16).  The modeled window for snow begins on the evening of the 24th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Could you explain why like @CAPE does or are you just going to cancel winter? Because you’ve done that many times and yet I still have snow on the ground.

Pattern is opening up, based around general global warming (land/sea) trough becomes N.A. centered.. same stuff as '16 on. We need low pressure and anomalous low pressure for snowstorms, unless there is a volcano eruption or something that year. 

• Confused 1

Been watching this upcoming storm for Thursday  and it’s trending south last two days on the GFS. Chicago was rainy icy and maybe snow and is now almost all snow. Syracuse was rain by a 200 mile margin and is now flirting with ice.

So maybe that Feb 25th event has some room to come south? It would have to be a decent sized adjustment; but maybe? Looks like our first “window of opportunity. “

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I mean well but I know that my posts can be subpar, so I understand when I am criticized or made fun of I understand. I also know that it’s not an attack on me as a person but my posts. I guess I don’t really understand why some people get so ticked at others when made fun of, this is the internet after all.

Prob an age thing my friend. You grew up connected. Many here did not. For the older folks, words carry more meaning in general because we grew up in an era of face face face communication. It's a psychology thing. Not good or bad. It just is what it is and something to be mindful of

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Could you explain why like @CAPE does or are you just going to cancel winter? Because you’ve done that many times and yet I still have snow on the ground.

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Pattern is opening up, based around general global warming (land/sea) trough becomes N.A. centered.. same stuff as '16 on. We need low pressure and anomalous low pressure for snowstorms, unless there is a volcano eruption or something that year. 

Yup that went exactly how I expected. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Several things I want to point out with this post.  Correct me if I am wrong

1.  When have you not said the pattern is getting worse besides December, its like the boy who cried wolf. By this point I inherently (unless some non constant downers agree) disregard the downer's view on the pattern. 

2. We do need low pressure but not some super intense storm to get some snow. I mean all it takes is a well placed boundary wave to get a decent event

3. Global warming is definitely a bad thing for our hobby but still does not mean we need some crazy setup to get like 6 inches of snow. 

4. Why are you always so negative with tracking and everything? I mean it just seems like the ratio of downer posts to positive ones are like 9:1

At the same time you have knowledge and I value that but why always so negative is my main thing, why do something that you are unhappy with 90 percent of the time?

54 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Prob an age thing my friend. You grew up connected. Many here did not. For the older folks, words carry more meaning in general because we grew up in an era of face face face communication. It's a psychology thing. Not good or bad. It just is what it is and something to be mindful of

I grew up connected...lol (well...halfway. First half of my childhood was more "analog"...other half increasingly connected)

25 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

1.  When have you not said the pattern is getting worse besides December, its like the boy who cried wolf. By this point I inherently (unless some non constant downers agree) disregard the downer's view on the pattern. 

2. We do need low pressure but not some super intense storm to get some snow. I mean all it takes is a well placed boundary wave to get a decent event

3. Global warming is definitely a bad thing for our hobby but still does not mean we need some crazy setup to get like 6 inches of snow. 

4. Why are you always so negative with tracking and everything? I mean it just seems like the ratio of downer posts to positive ones are like 9:1

At the same time you have knowledge and I value that but why always so negative is my main thing, why do something that you are unhappy with 90 percent of the time?

I just really believe in the PNA, it's really strong signal for the state of Winter. 

z8VsnJ76KP.png.2ba1049f95473f4aae765d06f58d4daf.png

8aa.gif

31 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Sometimes when you’re walking down the street and you see something off…it’s better to just keep walking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

So, there has been a lot of speculation as to why the pattern for the beginning of March has taken such a turn since just last week. I was pretty much in agreement with much of the meteorological community that the beginning of March would be quite warm as the pattern would be breaking down. It appeared that the tropical forcing would move into unfavorable areas of the Pacific for E US winter weather, like towards the Maritime Continent.

However, that tropical forcing has become less and less of a factor in the pattern, as the amplitude of the wave looks quite low:

ensplume_full.gif.a33073af863093d6485f84cb6e3da8fa.gif

So, instead, there must be another pattern driver that's led to such a dramatic change in the NH waveguide. It looks like the culprit is an extratropical cyclone over the W Pacific near Japan. It will develop by the beginning of next week, and it looks to become a highly anomalous cyclone, reaching over 4 sigma below normal SLP:

512577342_ETcyclone.thumb.gif.02d143986e6e7fa711d4280150c2fe4e.gif

This cyclone will induce an extension of the Pacific jet and anticyclonic wave breaking, which leads to the anomalous ridging over the EPO domain:

jet.thumb.gif.751c8d1820936926516da0084f597ca1.gifpvu.thumb.gif.b740290ead205105488983cc3abd3972.gif

I don't think that this is a head fake, and there is the potential for a significant high-latitude blocking event. It hinges on the strength of the cyclone in the Pacific, but there is tremendous agreement between models and their ensembles, so I do think that it's a legitimate pattern driver. Something similar to this also happened with Nuri at the end of October 2014, which was also a highly anomalous N Pacific cyclone. Nuri had a tremendous impact on the pattern in November 2014 with regards to N Pacific blocking:

nuri.png.71281f9480b3b55d703245ea344aba4f.png

Therefore, I do believe that the first couple (or perhaps few?) weeks of March hold elevated potential for a significant late-winter event. Time will tell, but things should start to ramp up once heading into the start of the month.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 7

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic