Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Yep. Not as deep and vort interaction was more disorganized. Another touchy setup.

Touchy is the word to describe just about every storm this winter. Subtle differences in the timing and interplay make big differences in the outcome. The nature of fast, progressive flow. 

On to 0z!

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

GFS actually caved a decent amount toward the 12z Euro.

We might be seeing the 100 hour convergence. It’s just not converging to the solution we want so some will cling to “it’s still x hours away”. 

It’s not done and every so often something crazy can happen. Nothing is certain. But as we cross the magic 100 hour threshold again it’s in the unlikely category.  Whenever we need the most extreme solution of all guidance to be right, I don’t care which model that is, it’s not likely. 90% of the time the reality is towards the middle of the spread of permutations not an extreme. We keep rooting for the most amplified or least amplified options and that’s not a winning strategy. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Touchy is the word to describe just about every storm this winter. Subtle differences in the timing and interplay make big differences in the outcome. The nature of fast, progressive flow. 

On to 0z!

That’s what I’ve been saying. This is very delicate. It only takes small differences to make a big surface change. 

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Oops forgot about the 18z Euro. :yikes:

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I bet HH Euro makes a baby move towards the 12z and 6z Gfs :popcorn:and sucks u back in

Just a reminder that unless the 18z euro shows an actual hit the 18z suite was a net negative.  I know how this game goes. Euro shows a slight improvement over its pathetic 12z solution and suddenly some get sucked in and we see “it’s trending better 3+ days left”. But trends in one individual model are irrelevant. It’s the trend across guidance that matters. If the most amplified guidance is trending less amplified and the least amplified trends more that’s not a trend it’s just convergence.  We needed the Gfs and Ukmet from last night to hold and everything else to trend to them. Instead we saw everything converge on a middle ground today. And that’s always the most likely outcome.  But the middle ground is a bad result for us unfortunately. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I realize this is much, much less of a disaster for me but I expected a lot less forum-wide considering the doom and gloom in this room. 

1644796800-e6rYTGab3Ew.png

Yeah, that wouldn’t be a reason for me to not be ecstatic. It’s the same goddamn bullshit I’ve looked at all winter. But who’s keeping score :lol:

I will promise you we will see many changes going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a drive-by post telling you, "La Ninas in the Mid Atlantic suck." 

There's several variables necessary for us to get solid storms in the sub-forum in a northern stream dominant setup. Small shifts in amplitude and longitudinal structure of the mean trough can mean whether we get a decent hit or it scurries to the north/south. 

That said, the GFS was a broader look, but it still managed to get snow into the area with a solid snowfall for Rt 50 on south. A sharper trough should help areas to the north. Time will tell if this trend continues, but the setup is far from dead. I would just temper expectations for places north of I-70 for this one. Further south you are, the better the chances are at the moment.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

See, this isn’t just some MA weenieism. It matters.

You’re giving valid reasons why it “could” pleasantly surprise. It’s possible. I hope I’m wrong and it surprises. Won’t be the first time I’ve been dead wrong about something. But I’m just not in a rush to set myself up for disappointment. This has all the same flaws and issues as other recent setups.  Why convince myself it’s going to end any better when the most likely outcome is the same?   I’m still gonna track. Why not set the bar low then be pleasantly surprised instead of investing and being frustrated when everything trends to exactly what climo in a positive NAO progressive pattern says is most likely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why not set the bar low then be pleasantly surprised instead of investing and being frustrated when everything trends to exactly what climo in a positive NAO progressive pattern says is most likely. 

this has been my approach the entire season. it’s not a favorable pattern for the mid atlantic, so it’s best to keep expectations low and realistic until truly convincing data points otherwise

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

There's several variables necessary for us to get solid storms in the sub-forum in a northern stream dominant setup. Small shifts in amplitude and longitudinal structure of the mean trough can mean whether we get a decent hit or it scurries to the north/south. 

That said, the GFS was a broader look, but it still managed to get snow into the area with a solid snowfall for Rt 50 on south. A sharper trough should help areas to the north. Time will tell if this trend continues, but the setup is far from dead. I would just temper expectations for places north of I-70 for this one. Further south you are, the better the chances are at the moment.  

i think another point about this system is how much of it will stick after a week in the 50s.  i know it can if temps fall quick enough, but it's another variable working against us here.  i've been looking at the gfs periodically and was trying to figure out how it's even getting that stripe of snow.  i guess it's due to mid level forcing because the surface low is ots.

10 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Agree with all this. Unfortunately 

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I'm glad a red tagger said that, lol So it's not an overzgenralization, then! Too much has to time up right, and we don't do perfect timing that well here. Fast NS, bunch if waves screaming across...ack! I took a guess that we'd see 13-15"...a prediction that looks, unfortunately, safe if we can't get anything next week/weekend. But this is kinda what they do...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

DT makes a post about 90% of the MA getting snow and it all collapses. Never fails.

Yes I knew when I saw that it was the death knell…and the poison has been ingested..now we wait….0z will further weaken things…by tomorrow we will be smoking cirrus and wondering when we should start our detox exercise plan for summer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Imma check out for a bit.  Im starting to sound like Ji so…. Im not mad or even frustrated, I think it’s just I’ve accepted it is what it is and others are still trying to stay positive and good for them!  If things turn around I’ll get on board. 

How ya feelin about next winter? :unsure:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic