Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Be careful. They play an important role in NWP. At this juncture they are indicating that you may be disappointed if you expect the depiction on the latest op runs to be the correct outcome. 

And given what we saw last month, nobody should take a Day 10 depiction verbatim. You mentioned the chaos with all the waves...that's also been a running theme. Seems like what ya get out of that more often is sloppy or late phasing (and how many times did we yell at this wave or that wave to stop interfering? Lol). When doubt, go with the season's trend until it does something different...

28 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Not really any chance for anything for a while here. 

This is really bad.

1968264162_f300(1).thumb.gif.8a2d9898d430374d51268646f2891c27.gif

+NAO/+EPO moving in tomorrow overperforms, then we flirt with 60s down the road it looks like. 

There won’t be any 60’s with that look. Still waiting on the -PNA you promised us about 3 weeks ago too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solution Man said:

Anybody got supper Euro?

Not much to note. Looking at the EPS, the Monday night deal looks like light rain/drizzle/maybe fr drizzle? along the coast. Beyond that enjoy a week of partly to mostly sunny with temps in the mid to upper 40s. Maybe we get colder next weekend.

• Thanks 2

Maybe after saying the pattern was going to break down for the last month they are finally going to be right.  I am not saying they wont be.  I don't know.  The pattern does have to break eventually.  BUT...why do the same people that say it means nothing and deb when the super long range guidance says cold is coming...suddenly believe it totally when those same models say warm is coming???

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

While we wait for the 0Z GFS, the MJO looks to be in a favorable phase 2 to 3 for the next 2 weeks before going into warm phase 4.

C0C91180-58F1-4FF0-AF59-23CF47D1CBA3.png

662A64F7-D183-4E80-9973-58E80E762C9D.gif

If we can stall 4/5 a bit...the later we get in winter/spring the more they become ambiguous and not necessarily warm phases anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Maybe after saying the pattern was going to break down for the last month they are finally going to be right.  I am not saying they wont be.  I don't know.  The pattern does have to break eventually.  BUT...why do the same people that say it means nothing and deb when the super long range guidance says cold is coming...suddenly believe it totally when those same models say warm is coming???

I don't discount long range cold totally, but I do tend to put more credence in long range warm.  I think this is rational as it us my understanding that the models have a known cold bias in the medium to long range, so if they are showing a warm signal, then I think it is more likely that there is a strong feature which is overcoming their bias.

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB GFS comparison to 18Z says it all….

E1DBF24B-198D-401C-8AC8-F0B2A38B31BF.png

5A8B9469-3C01-4008-B031-0FDDAB1E641A.png

Good sir remember how much runs that far out change. It's useless to get hung up on every one that far out. All you can look are the larger scale, pattern features...Not that all us fully understand those things, lol And sure it's easier to look at the precip maps--but nevertheless these computers are gonna jump around with "details" (it's so scattershot you can barely call it that) even more at this range!

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

There won’t be any 60’s with that look. Still waiting on the -PNA you promised us about 3 weeks ago too.

-PNA might not build as strong, but I'm excited for a good, healthy +NAO.. can't see it happening now with +PNA after 2 straight. maybe the whole modeled pattern will be wrong, or main indexes change. 

I quickly scanned through the members focusing on the 14-15th window- there are 3-4 members(out of 50) on the 0z EPS that have low pressure to our SE and tucked close to the coast- healthy storms that produce some significant snow for our region. The majority are offshore or all NS. Overall theme is progressive/offshore/late.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I quickly scanned through the members focusing on the 14-15th window- there are 3-4 members(out of 50) on the 0z EPS that have low pressure to our SE and tucked close to the coast- healthy storms that produce some significant snow for our region. The majority are offshore or all NS. Overall theme is progressive/offshore/late.
Ya man winter is being put in the coffin now
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Ji said:
46 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Ya man winter is being put in the coffin now

Hopefully not. 8" season for my first season on Parrs Ridge and 20+ where I came from in AA County wouldn't be acceptable lol

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic