• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22: Midterm Grade

WxWatcher007

Given how divided the forum has been with regard to snow totals and wintry conditions, I figured it'd be interesting to see what everyone's midterm grade is (DJFM). 

I'm sitting at 23.0" for the season so far, which is probably right at climo. I've had two warning level events--one positive bust and one that was essentially a fail in the snowfall department. 

December was a disaster overall, but I lucked out with a nice Christmas Eve event and ice on Christmas. 

January has been cold with many single digit nights and a sub 20 day. No below zero days imby though. 

Overall, despite a rough December and recent "fail" the season has been nice so far. 

Midterm grade: B+

Feels very similar to last winter here. Bigger storms have hit on nearly the exact same dates too, which is kinda weird...

Statistically, I am significantly below normal on snowfall, but I am still on MD climo so it all feels like the best winter of my life to me.

It's been much colder than last winter so that has helped offset the lack of snow. Turns out last winter was pretty mild. Many called it a NNE ratter.

I have nearly 2 feet of pack and another 12"+ looming. Hard to complain. Once I get more seasons here I will be able to compare and this may end up ranking as a ratter too. The record for this area has a few 240" inch winters since 2010 which is hard to imagine. it must snow nearly every day for that to happen.

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Feels very similar to last winter here. Bigger storms have hit on nearly the exact same dates too, which is kinda weird...

Statistically, I am significantly below normal on snowfall, but I am still on MD climo so it all feels like the best winter of my life to me.

It's been much colder than last winter so that has helped offset the lack of snow. Turns out last winter was pretty mild. Many called it a NNE ratter.

I have nearly 2 feet of pack and another 12"+ looming. Hard to complain. Once I get more seasons here I will be able to compare and this may end up ranking as a ratter too. The record for this area has a few 240" inch winters since 2010 which is hard to imagine. it must snow nearly every day for that to happen.

Probably a C-. Might have gone C if we hadn’t had that mild stretch in the middle of December.  The cold has helped because it retained somewhat low snowfall. Still time to get better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I was at a D last month but this month with the cold and snow brings it up to a C+. Ponds and lakes are all frozen and look to stay that way for awhile and there's a decent pack out here. Feb can either bring it up or bring it down, we'll see.

agree totally.

A for me. The past three winters have left me with similar snowfall totals on the season as I got in one day. 

The rest of the winter has been pure unadulterated garbage. 3.5 inches. But I'll take the highlight. 9 hours of blizzard and record snowfall makes it all worth it. The radar I screenshotted is like a negative of every radar I've seen in every storm for a decade. 

34 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Given im at around 25" mid-season. One over performing storm, one underwhelming storm...one was night, one was day. Lots of 0.5-2" piddly sh*ts. Not much on the horizon. It's extremely mediocre. 

C

Did you get anything Christmas Eve? If so, did that enhance your grade at all?

December: D- (couple small annoying pity amounts and icy/rain mix around Christmas saves this month from a F)

January: B+ (two big storms, mix of warm/cold around.

Overall: C, with possible adjustment to as low as D or as high as A- (the A- would need to have a huge wintry weather in mid/late Feb-March). (the D would need a mild month of February and March with no or very little snow). A mixed bag, so far.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:21 PM, The 4 Seasons said:

Given im at around 25" mid-season. One over performing storm, one underwhelming storm...one was night, one was day. Lots of 0.5-2" piddly sh*ts. Not much on the horizon. It's extremely mediocre. 

C

I would think 25" mid-season is pretty good for there, no?

10 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

I would think 25" mid-season is pretty good for there, no?

Actually yeah, technically. 50" would put me pretty well above average. I estimate that we are somewhere in the 30-35" range for about 100 years or since the start of most modern-day records. And for the past 20 years probably around 45". Especially considering BDRs past 20 years is 38.2" and all time is 29.6".

So strictly based on numbers it's probably more like a B. But usually, for me anyway, a winter and the grade i gave it factors in way more than just straight snowfall...such as expectations, positive/negative busts, daytime vs. nighttime snowstorms, last minute model trends, snowpack and retention, temps, snow or rain/cutters around the holidays, etc.

A lot of negatives for me this winter so far but it's not awful. 2020-2021 was certainly much better at this point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Actually yeah, technically. 50" would put me pretty well above average. I estimate that we are somewhere in the 30-35" range for about 100 years or since the start of most modern-day records. And for the past 20 years probably around 45". Especially considering BDRs past 20 years is 38.2" and all time is 29.6".

So strictly based on numbers it's probably more like a B. But usually, for me anyway, a winter and the grade i gave it factors in way more than just straight snowfall...such as expectations, positive/negative busts, daytime vs. nighttime snowstorms, last minute model trends, snowpack and retention, temps, snow or rain/cutters around the holidays, etc.

A lot of negatives for me this winter so far but it's not awful. 2020-2021 was certainly much better at this point.

Right, that makes sense that you take that all into account...given that we just got Juno'd I can totally understand it not being a B- or greater despite above average snowfall. It's crazy that you guys have averaged that much down there in the last 20 years. Does the all-time average include the last twenty? If so, I wonder how low the average would be without those years. You guys have probably beat my area more than half the time in the last twenty years. There's definitely a trend toward storms being farther east I think...also seemingly not many clippers or SWFEs.

• Like 1