Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

25 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

That is our luck just like our sports teams. My boys asked me to buy one but nothing wrong with some elbow grease. On another note do I spy a storm just after Valentine’s Day? I know it’s way way out but interesting nonetheless 

I am expecting (maybe more just hoping) the pattern to start getting stormy again.  Since October precip has been shut down.  

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lolol @ lowest totals circle around detroit. Literally 8+ on a 1500 mile stretch from maine to oklahoma and then you got the circle of nothingness. Hard to believe but thats how we roll.

Screenshot_20220204-140818_Chrome.jpg

DTW had 9.2".  So contrary to what you said yesterday, this was an 8+ storm for DTW.  Macomb county was the screwzone locally on that screenshot, but it doesn't show up here.

Screenshot_20220204-164347_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

image.thumb.png.2616d4e5130067b2d0b6b89e964a5bb3.png

image.thumb.png.50eba81329968826100e45f4dd7c98b8.png

These are great maps. Definitely looks like It turned into a widespread big storm without the epic numbers. Outside of that blob of 15 to 17" in Indiana, Just a few small areas of 12 plus. It's incredible to think of how high some of those laughable kuchera numbers were for such a widespread area. I honestly don't remember that even in some bigger storms (Feb 2011, Jan 2014, Feb 2015) that panned out with bigger numbers.

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm the same. Feel like it's 2 events, but have to stay consistent. If everyone else is considering it storm total, so should we. A storm with a brief lull. Both DTW (9.2") and YYZ (6.2") made out better than feared after a bust of huge totals was imminent.

11 hours ago, Lightning said:

I agree as there was a well defined lull and separation between the waves.  If the those NAM and RGEM runs that showed non-Stop precip would have happened, then it would be one storm IMO.  But it is all a mute point as the NWS is who provides definition which is fine by me.  In the end it doesn't matter because there is great snow on the ground :snowing:

Hourly Obs would indicate a fairly brief intermission from the snows of wave #1 and the 2nd wave of only 4 hrs. That's actually not much of a lull. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lolol @ lowest totals circle around detroit. Literally 8+ on a 1500 mile stretch from maine to oklahoma and then you got the circle of nothingness. Hard to believe but thats how we roll.

That map is actually accurate for here at least. The other one wants to show 8+ around here when 5.6" was reality.

• Like 1

13" officially at Toledo Express Airport.  After compaction though, I only measured about 10" as the first 5" of concrete compacted down to 2" under it's own weight.  Normally this would be a win, but after what was forecasted and watching the rare overlapping phenomenon slip through my fingers, I was disappointed.  My kids are in heaven though, so basically I'm an old :weenie:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

13" officially at Toledo Express Airport.  After compaction though, I only measured about 10" as the first 5" of concrete compacted down to 2" under it's own weight.  Normally this would be a win, but after what was forecasted and watching the rare overlapping phenomenon slip through my fingers, I was disappointed.  My kids are in heaven though, so basically I'm an old :weenie:

Looks like officially 12.7" at TOL. Storm bust aside, which was unfortunately imminent early on, very solid winter scenes DTW to border. Monroe 10.2", Carleton 10.0", Wyandotte 9.3", DTW 9.2".

• Like 1

Here are my long loops of the radar for this storm and the GFS surface/precip images. It took me 83 hours of saving radar images for this. Of course, did use the archive feature, but I really did take 4 days of occasional saving of data. 

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Feb_1_to_4_2022_radar_loop1.html

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Feb_1_to_4_2022_GFS_surface_loop1.html

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:12 PM, Stevo6899 said:

Hilarious.

But I had called it (just not to that extent, haha!).

48 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Hilarious.

But I had called it (just not to that extent, haha!).

Actually your late call ended up pretty close. As has been said multiple times....it was an 8-10" storm for the southern burbs, 9.2" officially for Detroit (DTW) and while north detroit city (your old stomping grounds?) northeast to macomb were the SE MI low spot, they still had 6-7. In the end another 6-10 storm area wide. Lol. Forecast 3-6, get 6-10, forecast 6-10, get 6-10, forecast 10-16, get 6-10. How much sleet did you get?

Well within that 10-18” call. Imagine if it turned over there even 3 hours earlier, could’ve definitely been hitting that upper boundary of the forecast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually your late call ended up pretty close. As has been said multiple times....it was an 8-10" storm for the southern burbs, 9.2" officially for Detroit (DTW) and while north detroit city (your old stomping grounds?) northeast to macomb were the SE MI low spot, they still had 6-7. In the end another 6-10 storm area wide. Lol. Forecast 3-6, get 6-10, forecast 6-10, get 6-10, forecast 10-16, get 6-10. How much sleet did you get?

2.5" of combined snow/sleet. Actually were within the bullseye in the Metroplex.

There was still plenty of patches left today.

• Like 2