Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

Just now, Snohio said:

12.5" total at the Toledo airport as of 11 pm. Probably won't add much if anything to that. 

Nice. 

I Picked up 3.2" today as of 10:30 PM and still snowing. This is on top of yesterday's 6.0", so 9.2" between the 2 days.  Deep Winter outside.

Report out of Monroe of 4" today and 6" yesterday

FB_IMG_1643950261544.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950265498.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950271555.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950277850.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Nice. 

I Picked up 3.2" today as of 10:30 PM and still snowing. This is on top of yesterday's 6.0", so 9.2" between the 2 days.  Deep Winter outside.

Report out of Monroe of 4" today and 6" yesterday

FB_IMG_1643950261544.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950265498.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950271555.jpg

FB_IMG_1643950277850.jpg

Wind didn't help estimating the snow that fell today, but I'm going with 1.5" here in Canton unless a map or report from DTX says otherwise. 

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Wind didn't help estimating the snow that fell today, but I'm going with 1.5" here in Canton unless a map or report from DTX says otherwise. 

Official at DTW is 8.5 storm total not far off from the 9.2 he measured. Canton is a little NW of the airport so it lines up pretty good

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, Powerball said:

BTW, I'm sticking with my preliminary call as final. Widespread 10-15" with isolated higher amounts*.

*Besides the areas on the northern and southern edge getting screwed by slight shifts, there could also be a narrow area from far NE Indiana / far NW Ohio into the Detroit area and SW Ontario that gets slightly lower amounts as the better forcing for the 1st round sets up just NW of there and the better forcing for the 2nd round sets up just SE of there.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, Powerball said:

Looks like most of Metro Detroit's going to end up with only 6-8" (maybe isolated amounts up to 10").

If those are the final totals, while not a bad storm (and folks who just wanted some snow back on the ground got their fill), it would be a bust relative to what was forecasted, the media hype that led up to it and also what the models projected.

^^^Nailed it!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Definitely had less than here but perhaps 1.5 is a bit low. Not sure. Ann Arbor had 1.6", DTW 3.0", Wyandotte 3.3", Monroe 4.0". Possibly near 6-7" right at the state line. 

2 day totals Feb 2-3

Garden City- 7.7"

Ann Arbor - 7.8" (6.2+1.6)

DTW - 9.2" (6.2+3.0)

Wyandotte- 9.3" (6.0+3.3)

Carelton - 10.0"

Monroe - 10.2"

Toledo - 12.7" (4.3+8.4)

42 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

6.2" "storm" total (it's two separate events in my books) at YYZ.  Some pretty high snowplow piles out there.

41.7" on the season which is basically normal.  Playing with house money from here on out.

I'm the same. Feel like it's 2 events, but have to stay consistent. If everyone else is considering it storm total, so should we. A storm with a brief lull. Both DTW (9.2") and YYZ (6.2") made out better than feared after a bust of huge totals was imminent.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm the same. Feel like it's 2 events, but have to stay consistent. If everyone else is considering it storm total, so should we. A storm with a brief lull. Both DTW (9.2") and YYZ (6.2") made out better than feared after a bust of huge totals was imminent.

I agree as there was a well defined lull and separation between the waves.  If the those NAM and RGEM runs that showed non-Stop precip would have happened, then it would be one storm IMO.  But it is all a mute point as the NWS is who provides definition which is fine by me.  In the end it doesn't matter because there is great snow on the ground :snowing:

• Like 2

I don't know what the official snowfall will be for KSPI, yesterday at noon they sent in an Official report of 11.4" to ILX. Afternoon daily climate report reflected it. Yet the full days report dropped it back down to Wed. total of 7.9 plus only 1.8" yesterday. Monthly summary shows it same way.

How does that happen at an official NWS record keeping?

Screenshot_20220204-111610_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a3aeadcdcd2b7616c7331f817f65a7f9.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-111549_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1fcb817674e8f62ea2c7707e7f7a5f1f.jpg

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Looks great out there today. I am ashamed to say that my my giant snow pile days are over because I'm just in love with my snowblower. 2nd Winter with it.

I know what you mean.  I now have 2 snow blowers.  2 Stage gas for >5" storms that I had for years.  I also have an 40V Battery one I got this year for <5" storms.  3 4AH Batteries does my entire 400'+ driveway!!  I really love the battery one (no gas, no vibration, don't need NR headphones and don't smell afterward).   But I prefer to use the 2 Stage because it means we just got a big storm!! :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I know what you mean.  I now have 2 snow blowers.  2 Stage gas for >5" storms that I had for years.  I also have an 40V Battery one I got this year for <5" storms.  3 4AH Batteries does my entire 400'+ driveway!!  I really love the battery one (no gas, no vibration, don't need NR headphones and don't smell afterward).   But I prefer to use the 2 Stage because it means we just got a big storm!! :lol: 

I have 2 snowblowers as well my 15 and 12 year old boys B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lolol @ lowest totals circle around detroit. Literally 8+ on a 1500 mile stretch from maine to oklahoma and then you got the circle of nothingness. Hard to believe but thats how we roll.

Screenshot_20220204-140818_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Sadly my 15 and 17 year old girls are figured it out and that is why the electric snow blower became a Christmas present. :lmao:

That is our luck just like our sports teams. My boys asked me to buy one but nothing wrong with some elbow grease. On another note do I spy a storm just after Valentine’s Day? I know it’s way way out but interesting nonetheless