Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Hi

I feel for ya, it's one of those snows where trying to keep it up every few hours/inches wasn't possible. The drifts at my gate I shoveled 3 times. First time was right back to where it was in about 45 minutes 2nd was overnight but worse. Hoping not to have a 4th :lol:

I had to do the 18.5" from the Palm Sunday snow back in '13 by hand and it was a wetter snow. I need to get the little snow blower I have running again, only used it once but it would be way better for my situation being able to direct it where I need it

52 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Records fell like domino's in 2013-14. But in terms of snowSTORM records, we just had the 3rd largest snowstorm in 2015. I foresee us eventually knocking over 2nd place, the 1974 storm, but I really doubt we ever touch the 1886 storm. Which was in April of all things.  I really doubt you will ever surpass the 1967 or 1978 storm either, but you should be able to make a run at your 3rd.

I agree about here especially that 67 record. But that record there and when it happened ( as you said so late in season ) is why I feel that is long overdo to fall. I am certain there will be another 67 qpf bomb in the region but who gets those insane amounts is the question. I doubt it will be here. Ofcourse that storm had temps in the 50s ( near 60 ) the day before here. A bit more warmth and stronger high to the east and we may have pulled it off again with this. Ofcourse I think that storm that rode up that front in 67 was a bit stronger too. One of the others around here probably knows those details better?  

Either way I think Detroit has  better odds then most think of nailing that record.. Jmho

• Like 3

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Guess today's storm really did trend Northwest as well. For the radar the snow line goes all the way back to Lansing and right now DTW is at 0.5 mile visibility. Frustrations of the storm aside it's a very classic Winter day outside right now.

Edit-  Very surprised at how today is over performing. Just stepped outside for a minute and there's probably about 1.5 already, did not officially measure though. Will easily exceed 8 for the 2 day total

Definitely moved further northwest. The taint line made it pretty close to Erie county. 6-7" so far here and its not supposed to stop snowing until noon tomorrow.

index.thumb.png.bdc028ce2914895a123b92ff080df6a1.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Grr updated. Final snowfall total and map. Lansing with 13.3 is largest daily snowfall record for Feb. Pretty impressive considering how far back the records go for that location.  Officially here 10.0 but ala the observer is well outside of town at the county line with Barry. Still it fits the area totals of 9-12.. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Did you see the score when you drank your morning Kofi.lol

eh. they'll probably run into Loyola in the second round. and to keep this on topic...what a nice midwestern event for areas that have suffered. We know wisky/minny will get theres i April. Now is when we need to score.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Measuring very hard today. My snowboard had 4" on it but I'm accounting drifting for that. I have a big driveway and I took a ton of measurements, ranges from 1-5 and going with 2.6 so far and still snowing and blowing.  Visibility has been half mile most of the afternoon. Today's drifty snow covers up the massive frozen chunky snowbanks with a marshmallow look. Top notch winter scenery.  Should end up with 9 to 10" between the 2 waves.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Measuring very hard today. My snowboard had 4" on it but I'm accounting drifting for that. I have a big driveway and I took a ton of measurements, ranges from 1-5 and going with 2.6 so far and still snowing and blowing.  Visibility has been half mile most of the afternoon. Today's drifty snow covers up the massive frozen chunky snowbanks with a marshmallow look. Top notch winter scenery.  Should end up with 9 to 10" between the 2 waves.

Awesome to hear!!  Just got back home from Mt. Holly.  I was surprised my driveway and cars where covered in snow again from wave 2.  1/4-1/2" fell.  :D  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Chicago got 5.6".  And actually, DTW very well may eclipse 8" since todays wave moved farther Northwest.  I mean yeah it's 2 waves and I don't consider them the same event but that's what everyone was tracking the whole time. I'm surprised you are actually lowering the bar to 8", which Detroit has actually had more of than many of the cities you just listed, in the past 5 years.  I thought you only cared if it was 18"+ otherwise you wanted 85 and Sunny.  This storm was a nw trending, warm tongue, cement snow, flash freeze bust, but you know darn well Detroit has no problem typically getting 8 to 12" snow storms. It's eclipsing the foot that is that is like pulling teeth and the ironic thing about 2015 is that the jackpot zone actually lined up around the DTW corridor. The storm itself, while a good one, was not as fierce as the 1 the year before, but in that 2014 storm DTW only saw 11" while other areas saw 15 or 16".

Me lowering the bar only makes my point further. As far north as we are, we are one of the last cities without a 8+ storm this winter. 

• Like 1

updated snowfall reports from ILX

06:35 pm CST - 2/3/2022 TOLONO, IL 15
06:35 pm CST - 2/3/2022 DANVILLE, IL 15
06:15 pm CST - 2/3/2022 MACON, IL 13
05:16 pm CST - 2/3/2022 SHERMAN, IL 12.2
03:30 pm CST - 2/3/2022 2 N TOWANDA, IL 12
03:10 pm CST - 2/3/2022 1 N MOUNT ZION, IL 12
05:50 pm CST - 2/3/2022 CAPITAL AIRPORT, IL 12
05:45 pm CST - 2/3/2022 NWS LINCOLN, IL 11
08:10 pm CST - 2/3/2022 2 ENE URBANA, IL 10.7
05:41 pm CST - 2/3/2022 3 S SOUTHERN VIEW, IL 10.5
04:45 pm CST - 2/3/2022 LANE, IL 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Me lowering the bar only makes my point further. As far north as we are, we are one of the last cities without a 8+ storm this winter. 

Actually with today's over performance DTW has had an 8+ storm (2 waves but seems everyone is considering 1 storm). Just off the top of my head, Chicago, Milwaukee, Albany have not had a 6"+ storm yet.

• Like 2