Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

I'm shocked to hear so little from folks in NW Ohio. Police are closing the roads in the eastern portions of the area and conditions look horrible. As I said yesterday, don't worry folks it's going to come

image.png.7bf2134758b15e3beb24a2f0cf765746.png

Oh we are here in Toledo, but a quarter inch of snow an hour is nothing to write home about.  Thanks for thinking of us "in betweeners" though.  

• Haha 2

ended with just under a foot of snow here which exceeded my call of 10.5", never count out the holy northwest shift. almost considered driving home to my parents house in wayne county when it was looking like we'd be on the north side of everything, pretty glad i didn't. super solid storm here, ill post pics later today.

• Like 1

Beautiful outside. Snow is very powdery and blowing everywhere. Rates are not as high as I'd hoped, I may have slept through the best of it, but it's still great to watch. This was a very spread the wealth storm, which I've also appreciated quite a bit. 

31 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Sounds like the worst of it is definitely from Fremont eastward

Over here in Huron, conditions are pretty similar to what Frog Town described, maybe a third of an inch per hour rates with 3/4 - 1 mile vis with S- falling.  Winds are howling out of the NE with 40-45 mph gusts.  Haven't been out but I have to believe the roads are brutal - our county is under a Level 3 snow advisory (meaning non-emergency travel is banned).  A decent storm, sure but a bit disappointing not to get 1" + / hr. rates and 1/2 mile or below visabilities.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Moderate bands of snow just keep coming like a conveyor belt. Legit snowstorm now, I am 110.% satisfied. Winds are absolutely howling right now, steady gusts at 40mph winds. 

little over 12" here on the southeast side of decatur and still have moderate snow might get another inch or so before its done :D

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Plowing is futile around here.  Some 4 foot sets in the country.  Drifting efficiency is at its max.  Storm total 7 so far with 3-4 hours to go per radar trends.  12 is within reach, we shall see.

I live west of Tipton on 28.... Finishing up work at 96th and I69. Hoping 31 and 28 are at least plowed a bit and 4wd makes up the rest.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

I'm shocked to hear so little from folks in NW Ohio. Police are closing the roads in the eastern portions of the area and conditions look horrible. As I said yesterday, don't worry folks it's going to come

Defiance, OH seeing really steady moderate snow since this morning thanks to a bit of a bump NW with the moderate snow placement. Hard to measure as wind is gusty and it's drifting considerably given the higher ratio stuff coming down now and the wide open spaces. Roads are terrible and many counties are level 2 likely to move to level 3s this afternoon especially along Rt 24 and E/S. I'm measuring and additional 4.75" so far today after the the 5.5" we had leading up to the overnight lull for a 2-day total of 10.25". If these rates continue through this evening, I'd say 2 day totals of 13-14" totals will be commonplace. Drifting, however, will be the bigger story around here. Snow is really blowing around and plows can't keep up on these E-W roads. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Monroe had 5 to 6" and they could easily get another 3" today. Not out of the question for them to hit 10" in total lol. And pixie dust my ass, after that cement we dealt with this deserves to come in as pure fluff lol.

I went out and did my entire block with the snowblower last night and it was brutal.  It was almost like a firehose there was so much water/slush sitting underneath the snow.  Today’s pass was much easier with the fluffier snow from overnight.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BigHoss48192 said:

I went out and did my entire block with the snowblower last night and it was brutal.  It was almost like a firehose there was so much water/slush sitting underneath the snow.  Today’s pass was much easier with the fluffier snow from overnight.

I did my driveway and my mom's. It was OK but had to run the snow blower over multiple times because of the icy layer. Plow piles are quite impressive due to the water content. Today is a beautiful Winter day with snow falling and blowing. Should tack on a few inches of powder.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

I imagine down there in open areas ot is bad. It's snowing and blowing all over the place here. Some roads are still treacherous even where plowed.

51 minutes ago, TiptonMike said:

I live west of Tipton on 28.... Finishing up work at 96th and I69. Hoping 31 and 28 are at least plowed a bit and 4wd makes up the rest.

if IDOT cameras worked lol.  31 looks passable but slow up to 38.  Cant see farther than that but they did have 4 plows on 28 this morning

Thought we would make a run at a foot but fell short a little with 10.5. Disappointed because I missed the best rates here being stuck in Kalamazoo till the afternoon. 

In the end another typical higher end storm for this region and nothing really to write home about imby. Our computer models still have a ways to go especially where handling stuff up in Canada/pole goes. 

The rarity of this storm is how widespread the 6+ amounts will be. Hope someone does a final map that includes everything from the whole thing 

Should do a poll to see when everyone thinks the older snowstorm records fall at Detroit, Here and or wherever they are 50+ years old. My belief is this record here will be standing long after I am gone. Detroit has a much better shot at it. Ofcourse it may not seem that way to those living there but that damn record if I recall is 140 yrs old so that sucker is long overdo to fall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo6899 said:

Man what could've been with the front end foot, then another foot from the main show. Dtw found a way to miss out on both. Gonna sting for awhile. Msp seen an 8+ storm, chicago, cleveland, buffalo, des moines, fort wayne, east coast, mid atlantic, nashville. Dtw all left on its own.

Officially Chicago (And half of the metro) has not had an 8"+ storm, let alone a 6"+ storm this winter.

4 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Man what could've been with the front end foot, then another foot from the main show. Dtw found a way to miss out on both. Gonna sting for awhile. Msp seen an 8+ storm, chicago, cleveland, buffalo, des moines, fort wayne, east coast, mid atlantic, nashville. Dtw all left on its own.

It’s snowing a little more then I thought today. We will get our fill hopefully in a few weeks then we can look to severe wx season

3 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Didnt ord and the city report atleast 8 with this event? 6 at the least.

5.6" with this one at ORD, which is biggest of this season there.

Downtown has had larger events, such as this one. However, about roughly half of the metro has not had a 6"+ storm this season.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm watching the snow blow off my roof and pretending it's a blizzard out. 

• Haha 3