• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

Went out and measured a few minutes ago.  Combining that and the measurement from this morning brings me to 11.4".  Hoping there is just enough left in the tank from lake effect and/or system snow tomorrow to crack a foot.

I think I will comment more on this in the banter thread, but it feels like we are sort of becoming a poor man's east coast winter climate lately.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, andyhb said:

Michigan: where exciting weather goes to die.

U aint lyin brutha. Current cloudy at my house. Not home but id guess only a couple inches has fallen if that based on porch cam. Looks like dry air eating away at the precip on the NE flank. Real bummer considering what could've been. Definitly ready for summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

RAP and HRRR were showing some big totals in my area last night also.  You would be safe if you halved that and be pleasantly surprised if it comes in higher.

Exactly.  Plus in MI use 10:1 and not Kuchera ratio.  I am ending pleasantly surprised with this storm.

4 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Since 1880, how many foot snowstorms has chicago received? Curious to see how it stacks up to cantores detroit stats.

I used to have the stat but don't anymore.  I'm guessing probably close to 25.  That is 12" storms, so includes events that occurred over more than one day.

11 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

U aint lyin brutha. Current cloudy at my house. Not home but id guess only a couple inches has fallen if that based on porch cam. Looks like dry air eating away at the precip on the NE flank. Real bummer considering what could've been. Definitly ready for summer.

I fired up the grill and am cooking bratwurst outside with no coat, got maybe 4.5 out in the yard and I'm staying bone dry on the deck. Bust. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I used to have the stat but don't anymore.  I'm guessing probably close to 25.  That is 12" storms, so includes events that occurred over more than one day.

Well i think cantores stat includes events that took more than one day too. I think that stat proves chicago out big dogs us easily.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Well i think cantores stat includes events that took more than one day too. I think that stat proves chicago out big dogs us easily.

After thinking about it for a minute, I believe I gave too high of a number.  Probably closer to 20 times.

29 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

About 4-4.5” around stoney creek 

• Haha 1

Looks like most of Metro Detroit's going to end up with only 6-8" (maybe isolated amounts up to 10").

If those are the final totals, while not a bad storm (and folks who just wanted some snow back on the ground got their fill), it would be a bust relative to what was forecasted, the media hype that led up to it and also what the models projected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowman33 said:

5.6" at ORD? At this rate, GHD IV is gonna be a 33 and rain event.

in fairness the event was named that for the storm not where it would hit. And at the time numerous 20" totals were progged by models. But lets face it even those totals based on a baroclinic zone where waves run along it does not cut the mustard. And anyone that thinks GHD ll held a candle to l is loopy. Nothing I've ever seen compared to l. Nonstop, lightning,thunder and blinding snow for hours....Chicago>  boooston. Is uncanny, the amount of Groundhog day storms that have occurred recently.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

47 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Since 1880, how many foot snowstorms has chicago received? Curious to see how it stacks up to cantores detroit stats.

40 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I know not 12"+ storms, but NWS Chicago used to have a page with a list of 10"+ snowstorms. I lost the link years ago but maybe @RCNYILWXcan come up with it?

15 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Damn .3" of liquid at yyz as of 0z, 80% of which fell as rain.  That really wasn't in the cards and that's what's going to sink this storm here.

It's snowing steadily here now. Not heavy snow and white-outs, but steady nonetheless. There's still a chance we make 4", I think, if it snows through the night.