Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 3

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Midnight to midnight is a weirdly arbitrary figure though.  I'd just like to see the number of times an accumulation over 12" happens in any 24 hour period.  GHD 1 was the last event I can recall that pulled that off in GRR.  It gets rare as soon as you get east of the major NW flow lake effect belts.  Biggest totals here are mostly synoptic / lake-effect combos that occur over a 48-72 hour period.  It's just not the same is when it comes down heavy all at once.  GHD 1 was special because the bulk of it came down in under 12 hours with a lot of wind to push it around.  Closest thing I've seen to something you would see on the east coast.

Yeah it is rare to get that in this part of the world.. 

Guess I am gonna have to do some research because here in Battle Creek the only two I am certain that pulled it off I mentioned already. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah it is rare to get that in this part of the world.. 

Guess I am gonna have to do some research because here in Battle Creek the only two I am certain that pulled it off I mentioned already. 

I don't know how many people who post are old enough to remember 1978.  I always see these pictures of what looks like three feet of snow and drifts up to the roofs of cars but it seems misleading.  My folks don't remember the details, but they seem to imply that there was a already a decent amount of snow on the ground before the storm.  It would be like if you combined the constant clipper trains of Jan/Feb 2014 with GHD 1.  GHD 1 happened after a cold and dry January with otherwise below normal snowfall.  I imagine if there was already quite a bit of snow on the ground that was still powdery enough to blow and added whatever 12-18" fell in that particular storm you'd get those kind of drifts you see in pictures that give the illusion it snowed 6 feet.  People you talk to still seem to think it snowed 2 feet in that storm when in reality it didn't.  It never has snowed 2 feet in 24 hours.

• Like 1

Given the overall state of the models and now getting into hi-res range, and with added lake contribution, I am pretty confident in at least a foot for downtown Chicago.  Certainly a higher ceiling than that though depending on things like banding and just how significant the lake can contribute.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I don't know how many people who post are old enough to remember 1978.  I always see these pictures of what looks like three feet of snow and drifts up to the roofs of cars but it seems misleading.  My folks don't remember the details, but they seem to imply that there was a already a decent amount of snow on the ground before the storm.  It would be like if you combined the constant clipper trains of Jan/Feb 2014 with GHD 1.  GHD 1 happened after a cold and dry January with otherwise below normal snowfall.  I imagine if there was already quite a bit of snow on the ground that was still powdery enough to blow and added whatever 12-18" fell in that particular storm you'd get those kind of drifts you see in pictures that give the illusion it snowed 6 feet.  People you talk to still seem to think it snowed 2 feet in that storm when in reality it didn't.  It never has snowed 2 feet in 24 hours.

Total for Jan 67 was 28.6. storm total not daily total which I posted. 

21.1 on Jan 26 and 7.5 on Jan 27. Qpf total was amazing with 2.86! Rare beast for this part of the world. Straight 10-1 ratios.. 

Keep in mind probably have had many of storms that say started at noon and finished noon the next day. 

• Like 1

18z GFS 250 mb winds, isotachs, and heights valid 18z Thursday

This is a pretty classic favorable jet right entrance region for northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and SW MI. Jet level forcing can do a lot of the work to cause a more expansive precip shield (and in this case would be doing a lionshare of the forcing). If the jet configuration verifies similar to this, don't be surprised if there's snow farther north, kind of like what the RGEM has been showing.

My friend who's a lead at OKX (WFO NYC) said they deal with this all the time with east coast storms. He said anecdotally the GFS is always too far south and east with precip tied to jets. As it stood on the 18z run, there was a slight tick north vs 12z. Something to watch.

Getting synoptic snow father north would also help the lake enhancement part, plus this good synoptic lift is a favorable factor for lake effect alone. 87f645a8f01c3a45529b14361182e80e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Hope you get your big dog total.  Yesterday I was expecting a goose egg IMBY.

I'm just worried because I have been in the bullseye totals for way longer than one should be. Every run of every model. 

It's one of those, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is things. Stopping to get some whiskey on the way home, have to work tomorrow and need to sleep :lol:

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Total for Jan 67 was 28.6. storm total not daily total which I posted. 

21.1 on Jan 26 and 7.5 on Jan 27. Qpf total was amazing with 2.86! Rare beast for this part of the world. Straight 10-1 ratios.. 

Keep in mind probably have had many of storms that say started at noon and finished noon the next day. 

67 was epic in the I-94 corridor.  My parents weren't living in Michigan then though.  They only remember Jan 78.

3 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

I'm just worried because I have been in the bullseye totals for way longer than one should be. Every run of every model. 

It's one of those, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is things. Stopping to get some whiskey on the way home, have to work tomorrow and need to sleep :lol:

I still think you get smacked with :maprain: I’ll be in Bloomington, IL and hoping for the same!

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

This is a pretty classic favorable jet right entrance region for northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and SW MI. Jet level forcing can do a lot of the work to cause a more expansive precip shield (and in this case would be doing a lionshare of the forcing). If the jet configuration verifies similar to this, don't be surprised if there's snow farther north, kind of like what the RGEM has been showing.

My friend who's a lead at OKX (WFO NYC) said they deal with this all the time with east coast storms. He said anecdotally the GFS is always too far south and east with precip tied to jets. As it stood on the 18z run, there was a slight tick north vs 12z. Something to watch.

Getting synoptic snow father north would also help the lake enhancement part, plus this good synoptic lift is a favorable factor for lake effect alone. 

oh-snap-parks-and-rec.gif

But seriously, stellar info - thank you for the perspective Ricky.

When is your shift?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Getting synoptic snow father north would also help the lake enhancement part, plus this good synoptic lift is a favorable factor for lake effect alone. 87f645a8f01c3a45529b14361182e80e.jpg

Thanks a lot for this insight.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Good stuff and reason for optimism on the northern fringe.  Question is if it can overcome the feed of dry air.

• Like 1