Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

18 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

worst climo season has arrived early

FMHnCaiUUAYoWhy?format=jpg&name=medium

eps getting that winter is over look so this might it be it friends

Don't worry, we (at least we here in southern Wisconsin) will get repeated cold intrusions and more snow than we got in Dec./Jan. combined (although it will all be slushy slop and melt within two days) from now through the end of April.

56 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

let's face it if it's not going to snow let's get right to warm and wet. But we all know it's not ever that easy. Especially, with that cold body of water next to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

Bring it on. Have to go through the slugfest of pseudo spring anyways. Rockford has only 1.7" of snow for entire month of February. 

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

i’m not saying it’ll be right, but that is not a warm look at that time. things are up and down, but as a whole overall are colder/cooler as depicted currently, with 3 different patterns through mid march.

When I worked up my latest forecast for the Holiday 2022 thread, the roller coaster looks to continue through Spring. This could be a rather violent spring season at times with the strong CA fronts and energy from the west.

45 minutes ago, madwx said:

hit -40 in International Falls this morning,  so much cold bottled up just to our north.  Will be nice to see that pushed out of the region this weekend

Good catch, was -39 on the hourlies but hit -40 intrahour.

Out of curiosity...why?  Everyone here is jumping on the bandwagon for winter to end, when we haven't even had winter to begin with.  We're all supposed to be kindred spirits on this forum, not like Joe Q. Public who hates winter.  It used to be that way - but not anymore.

Seems like everyone here all of a sudden likes warm and comfortable weather, and doesn't like the cold. If it were constantly below zero, fine...but it hasn't been all that cold in an absolute sense. Let's all just live in FL, AZ, or HI and call it a day...

Not directed at you personally...but it just gets old. Tired of coming on to a winter weather forum and seeing posts hoping against winter weather.

I'm ecstatic about the cold in MN, but am furious that we can't get it down here for any prolonged period of time. It isn't even that cold of an airmass...but amazing what can happen when winter takes hold of an area...with deep snowpack and calm winds.  You know, winter conditions in DJF - go figure. Kind of like summer conditions in JJA - which always happens with no worries.

The nights aren't even that short anymore up there, and it still hits -40. But everyone else wants the cold to go away, when we can't buy a frigid advective and/or calm morning here with deep snow cover if our life depended on it.  It sucks. The last one was Jan 2019 - more than 3 years ago...but then it was 40F 2 days later...which ruined it. 

And on top of that, everyone here is obsessed with removing the snow and ice as quickly as possible - to just erase it from the earth. Traffic, on the go, never-ending drift away from nature, blah blah. And we don't really get radiational cooling here anymore - too much urban development...and I'm like 25 miles NW of the Chicago core. It's even worse closer in.

This is very personal for me...as I gave up forecasting after getting a met degree, because I realized that I don't care about getting a forecast right.  I only care about the outcome, especially in winter. I don't go around hoping for cold weather in August, pissing on everyone's summer fetish cheerios.

If we actually had a winter here, I'd be more willing for it to end, especially as we get into mid-March. But when we don't have winter, there's a desire to make up for it later in the season....and then we never catch up and the season slips away...again and again and again.

Everyone can just put me on ignore - who gives a fook anymore.