Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

23 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Some seasonal snowfall totals from across the UP as of today.  The highest reported is Larium/Calumet with 191.5" but I'm sure there are unreported areas between Munising and Grand Marias this year that are also approaching 200" if not more.  Most places are reasonably close to average.

The highest depths I could find was Painsdale with 44" and 10s Grand Marias with 41".

Grand Marias = where I would like in MI if I retire here (not likely).

24 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Grand Marias = where I would like in MI if I retire here (not likely).

For me it was either The Marquette area or Houghton.  While I enjoy living in the woods, I do appreciate everything Marquette has to offer as far as food, stores and shopping etc...The Grand Marais area has very little in that regard, everything would be a drive and I’m 25 minutes to anything substantial as it is. Otherwise I may have chosen the same area as you.  Plus it’s pretty touristy there with Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls so close and I’m not into the visitors. 
I like this area because No major highway runs through and pretty much every road turns into a narrow, dirt two-track logging trail. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

For me it was either The Marquette area or Houghton.  While I enjoy living in the woods, I do appreciate everything Marquette has to offer as far as food, stores and shopping etc...The Grand Marais area has very little in that regard, everything would be a drive and I’m 25 minutes to anything substantial as it is. Otherwise I may have chosen the same area as you.  Plus it’s pretty touristy there with Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls so close and I’m not into the visitors. 
I like this area because No major highway runs through and pretty much every road turns into a narrow, dirt two-track logging trail. 

I am so excited to go to Au Train next week. Shoot me a pm if there's anything cool to check out that I might not know about lol. I have a cabin for the week.

It's just incredible to see the microclimates of northern MI. Almost every year we see times when Detroit has more snow on the ground than some of the banana belts (ie Standish, Tawas, Glennie, Menominee, Escanaba). Then not far from these places you have crazy deep snow annually.  The only thing I worry about is that I am missing some beautiful sites because I never visit those areas due to their unfavorable climate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I totally understand that dilemma for Grand Marais!!  You are right it is very remote with your choice is Munising or Newberry.  Neither of which are Marquette or Houghton that is for sure :lol:

It helps that we have good friends in Deer Park area.  Key thing to liking tourists ... make money off them :weight_lift: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

I am so excited to go to Au Train next week. Shoot me a pm if there's anything cool to check out that I might not know about lol. I have a cabin for the week.

It's just incredible to see the microclimates of northern MI. Almost every year we see times when Detroit has more snow on the ground than some of the banana belts (ie Standish, Tawas, Glennie, Menominee , Escanaba). Then not far from these places you have crazy deep snow annually.  The only thing I worry about is that I am missing some beautiful sites because I never visit those areas due to their unfavorable climate.

Will do. Let me gather my thoughts.

I would recommend you visit in the summer as well when everything is more accessible than just the main roads (or bring A sled). The back country of the UP is rugged and unforgiving and many areas with sketchy cell service. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's just incredible to see the microclimates of northern MI. Almost every year we see times when Detroit has more snow on the ground than some of the banana belts (ie Standish, Tawas, Glennie, Menominee , Escanaba). Then not far from these places you have crazy deep snow annually.  The only thing I worry about is that I am missing some beautiful sites because I never visit those areas due to their unfavorable climate.

West Branch is like a on/off switch for snow.  So many drives through West Branch area in which north of it has snow and then south of it barely any!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I took my girlfriend up to Marquette in January....I knew she would have not enjoyed the east side of the U.P on her own. Would rather take her to SSM Ontario and run the loops there, but.....too hard getting into Ontario right now for pleasure.

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Here's the ice maps today from Canadian Ice Service. The ice is moving quite a bit, and new has been forming as well. These maps are close to what I can see on visible/IR sat images the last couple days. 

W gl ice Feb 14.gif

E gl ice Feb 14.gif

Ice is above average right now. Since the beginning of the year temps have been way below normal.

5 hours ago, Lightning said:

West Branch is like a on/off switch for snow.  So many drives through West Branch area in which north of it has snow and then south of it barely any!!

Funny...this is very true. That's the usually cutoff where even in a shit winter snow-cover is a lock from that point north.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I took my girlfriend up to Marquette in January....I knew she would have not enjoyed the east side of the U.P on her own. Would rather take her to SSM Ontario and run the loops there, but.....too hard getting into Ontario right now for pleasure.

By most standards Marquette is a small town but it feels much bigger sitting in the middle of the north woods

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Here's the ice maps today from Canadian Ice Service. The ice is moving quite a bit, and new has been forming as well. These maps are close to what I can see on visible/IR sat images the last couple days. 

W gl ice Feb 14.gif

E gl ice Feb 14.gif

Check out lake Erie where an ice cutter ship went through the lake today.

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/satellite-blog/archives/44646?fbclid=IwAR0uaXOZyQgtUdl2TjkAHUcvr2ksDWRdv90gABWjuFKPZfJ8M63m7_8Bjm0

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/satellite-blog/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2022/02/G16Band02CONUS-20220214_1421_to_2126anim.gif

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, madwx said:

over half my yard is now bare grass,  should be down to just patches by Wednesday evening.   The remaining areas are hard packed ice and snow from the last week of december.

Ugliest winter I can remember in a quite a few years. I'm not exactly a fan of the season the way many on here are, but if it has to be cold and unpleasant out, can't it at least look pretty once in a while?

52 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Ugliest winter I can remember in a quite a few years. I'm not exactly a fan of the season the way many on here are, but if it has to be cold and unpleasant out, can't it at least look pretty once in a while?

Been a rough few years 

21 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Some light snow moving through the area. Could be a little frz drizzle later, too. Maybe a couple inches to the areas north of me, but nice to have temps in the 20's here. :)  

Temps in the 40's way down here to the south. Be nice to see the dewpoint get above freezing. Have not seen that in quite a while. Still in the 20's here though.

12Z GFS at 246 hours shows basically what I'm afraid of...broad area of vigorous SW flow at 500mb east of the Rockies, yet there is little surface response to speak of, moisture is confined to the southern half of the Gulf states and we never get above the low 30s for highs in Wisconsin. Of course, last week the GFS also had >20" of snow going NORTHWEST of Madison at the ~180 hour timeframe, so...

• Sad 1