Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

In Indiana, it's because of "e-learning". State law requires 180 days of school. They used to have to make it up after Memorial Day if they burned through their built-in snow days (i.e. President's Day).  Now, with every kid having a school-issued  ipad, they can count snow days as e-learning days.  In fact, on a Zoom meeting right before GHDIII, our local school Superintendent proclaimed, "Thank goodness for e-learning days!"

One of the joys growing up was wondering if school was going to be cancelled due to wx and being excited when it was.  The e-learning era is ruining that.  ;)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brian D said:

Winds from the N have slackened quite a bit. Now a large area of LES has developed over the head of the Lake. Getting in on some of that right now, but it's rather light. Very fine snow.

The mild weather has ended. 

Started the day off in the upper 20's after a couple inches of clipper snow last night.  Artic front moved through with a heavy burst of snow just after noon and the temp has been steadily falling all day to the current reading of 9.  LE snow has also started to organize and has been light/moderate to briefly heavy.  Winter Storm warning remains in effect until 7 am, although this would have been an advisory if not for the wind and ample snow to blow around.

Out feeding all the critters before it gets dark.  A lone, very young deer has stayed behind this winter instead of heading towards the lake with the herd.  I'm keeping her fed, otherwise she'd be a goner.

IMG_3901.jpg.12a10078bc29fde8c7f0bc8cd9a7b831.jpg

thumbnail234.thumb.jpg.410e4982b93c3991297f71f622e39f93.jpg

• Like 13

Awesome Bo! 

Rollercoaster 24hrs here. 0.6” of snow yesterday evening then temperatures shot up from 27 to 39 in 2 hours. Bit of drizzle overnight and a morning temp of 36 which quickly fell into the low 20s under snow which was heavy at times but mostly mood flakes for the first half of the day. 9 degrees with winds gusting to 28mph right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

The mild weather has ended. 

Started the day off in the upper 20's after a couple inches of clipper snow last night.  Artic front moved through with a heavy burst of snow just after noon and the temp has been steadily falling all day to the current reading of 9.  LE snow has also started to organize and has been light/moderate to briefly heavy.  Winter Storm warning remains in effect until 7 am, although this would have been an advisory if not for the wind and ample snow to blow around.

Out feeding all the critters before it gets dark.  A lone, very young deer has stayed behind this winter instead of heading towards the lake with the herd.  I'm keeping her fed, otherwise she'd be a goner.

IMG_3901.jpg.12a10078bc29fde8c7f0bc8cd9a7b831.jpg

thumbnail234.thumb.jpg.410e4982b93c3991297f71f622e39f93.jpg

Do you clear off your roof once or twice a season?

Strange that deer not herded with the others. Nice guy to help it out. Deer migrate to the shore here, too. Regular herd in town can be quite tame. People have many times fed them right from their hands. I have regular deer running up and down my ave. Gets a little bigger every year with the new fawns. In Nov, bucks running up and down the ave. looking for them. :) 

They instituted a bow season here in town in select locations to keep the herd here manageable. Duluth does the same. The herd gets to big, and destructive, and can cause accidents. Illegal to feed them in town, too. It's ok to do that outside the town limits, tho, and some folks do.

• Like 3

Hoping this burst holds together for a few more minutes. 

...A quick burst of snow with gusty winds to hamper travel...

Snow was spreading across far southwest Lower Michigan into far
northwest Indiana behind a cold front. Winds were gusting to
between 40 and 50 mph and were causing reduced visibilities along
with blowing and drifting snow. Temperatures will rapidly fall
below freezing causing a fast deterioration of driving conditions
with the likelihood of road becoming slippery. If you are
traveling early tonight over areas north and west of South Bend,
use caution. Allow extra time to reach your destination.

11 hours ago, Brian D said:

Do you clear off your roof once or twice a season?

Strange that deer not herded with the others. Nice guy to help it out. Deer migrate to the shore here, too. Regular herd in town can be quite tame. People have many times fed them right from their hands. I have regular deer running up and down my ave. Gets a little bigger every year with the new fawns. In Nov, bucks running up and down the ave. looking for them. :) 

They instituted a bow season here in town in select locations to keep the herd here manageable. Duluth does the same. The herd gets to big, and destructive, and can cause accidents. Illegal to feed them in town, too. It's ok to do that outside the town limits, tho, and some folks do.

Usually twice but last year only once, just depends on the winter.  It can take the weight... it sat empty for many years.

I've noticed every now and then deer wont migrate, idk.  I get the feeling this one may be an orphan not accepted by the herd and lacking the instinct to leave.  She hangs close to the house where it's safe and I can rattle a bucket of corn and she'll come down the hill.  I don't usually make a habit of feeding the deer and I'd have rather she left - but. 

5 degrees and blowing snow.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

Hoping this burst holds together for a few more minutes. 

...A quick burst of snow with gusty winds to hamper travel...

Snow was spreading across far southwest Lower Michigan into far
northwest Indiana behind a cold front. Winds were gusting to
between 40 and 50 mph and were causing reduced visibilities along
with blowing and drifting snow. Temperatures will rapidly fall
below freezing causing a fast deterioration of driving conditions
with the likelihood of road becoming slippery. If you are
traveling early tonight over areas north and west of South Bend,
use caution. Allow extra time to reach your destination.

Nice burst.

B9EB3F12-B4F8-4FFB-AA2A-3FBB11B648F8.jpeg

• Like 2

-15 to -25 near the Lake, with -30's well inland. Very calm winds this morning allowing temps to drop. Very similar to last year at this time. Near record lows, again, away from the lake. A lot less sea smoke visible over the lake this morning. Ice building quickly under very cold, calm conditions. Highs running -5/5 today around the area. Another cold one on tap for tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Brian D said:

-15 to -25 near the Lake, with -30's well inland. Very calm winds this morning allowing temps to drop. Very similar to last year at this time. Near record lows, again, away from the lake. A lot less sea smoke visible over the lake this morning. Ice building quickly under very cold, calm conditions. Highs running -5/5 today around the area. Another cold one on tap for tomorrow. 

looks like -42F, east of Seagull Lake in the Boundary Waters this morning.

9 hours ago, frostfern said:

The crusty snow here varies from 3" in open fields to as much as 8" in some shady spots where the late January base never fully melted.

Avg depth is 2-3" here. Grass spots along most roads but also big snowbanks everywhere that are solid as boulders. 

An interesting potential lake setup today with an advisory issued by DTX.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Avg depth is 2-3" here. Grass spots along most roads but also big snowbanks everywhere that are solid as boulders. 

It's hard to say what the average is.  It's only 4" in more urban zones, but it's around 8" in the woods some places.  The 16" of 20:1 lake effect fluff from early January didn't melt evenly.  At one point it was totally gone some places and compressed to around 4" others.  The 3" of concrete snow a couple nights ago added quite a bit to the piles even though it didn't add a lot of depth as it soaked up some light rain and drizzle the following day. 

There's a lot of really thick ice on my driveway as I didn't get a chance to shovel all the slush off before it froze hard.  The light dusting that's been falling today somehow managed to make it even more slippery to walk on.  Even the dog keeps flopping on her belly.

26 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

An interesting potential lake setup today with an advisory issued by DTX.

Yea.  It's kind of a weird setup with rather light winds but decent lake instability.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, frostfern said:

It's hard to say what the average is.  It's only 4" in more urban zones, but it's around 8" in the woods some places.  The 16" of 20:1 lake effect fluff from early January didn't melt evenly.  At one point it was totally gone some places and compressed to around 4" others.  The 3" of concrete snow a couple nights ago added quite a bit to the piles even though it didn't add a lot of depth as it soaked up some light rain and drizzle the following day. 

There's a lot of really thick ice on my driveway as I didn't get a chance to shovel all the slush off before it froze hard.  The light dusting that's been falling today somehow managed to make it even more slippery to walk on.  Even the dog keeps flopping on her belly.

Yea.  It's kind of a weird setup with rather light winds but decent lake instability.  

Urban and suburban areas are always different. I went to the park yesterday and there was 100% snow cover. Yet you drive on the main roads and there is salty grass, few snow patches, and snowbanks.  Many neighborhoods have snow banks and grass on the curb side and then full snow in the yards except under trees.  There's no question that a rural setting is exponentially better for snow cover than a city one.

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Urban and suburban areas are always different. I went to the park yesterday and there was 100% snow cover. Yet you drive on the main roads and there is salty grass, few snow patches, and snowbanks.  Many neighborhoods have snow banks and grass on the curb side and then full snow in the yards except under trees.  There's no question that a rural setting is exponentially better for snow cover than a city one.

The local slope and surface vegetation has a huge impact too.  Where the taller grass isn't fully matted down it tends to melt quicker because the dry grass poking through warms in the sun and melts the snow around it.  Areas near pavement with a lot of tall grass always melt first.  Wooded areas that don't have much grass or undergrowth and have a north facing slope retain snow the best.

• Like 1