• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

-20 here in town this morning. Looks like some near record/record cold this morning in the Arrowhead. Brimson -40 (2nd), I-Falls -42 (1st), Hibbing -36 (1st). Winds were very calm early this morning, so temps were able to plummet just before sunrise. Brutal, but at least the wind is minimal. Highs today around -5/5, so a nice return there. Seen much worse daily highs this time of year.

EDIT: Just seen the postman walk by. Poor guy has a glacier on his beard. Been there a time or two. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

-20 here in town this morning. Looks like some near record/record cold this morning in the Arrowhead. Brimson -40 (2nd), I-Falls -42 (1st), Hibbing -36 (1st). Winds were very calm early this morning, so temps were able to plummet just before sunrise. Brutal, but at least the wind is minimal. Highs today around -5/5, so a nice return there. Seen much worse daily highs this time of year.

EDIT: Just seen the postman walk by. Poor guy has a glacier on his beard. Been there a time or two. :D

Here's the chart from NWS Duluth. The wind chills they have are from 2-3 mph wind. -45 temps with 5 mph wind is -63. You walk in that cold air, the breeze from just moving in it causes a wind chill like what they have listed.

Feb 3 record cold.gif

• Thanks 1

With the Det radar down it’s hard to tell if the snow we’re getting here now in northern St Clair county is from the lake or part of the system snow coming up from the south. We’ve been under 3/4 a mile vis for the past couple hours now with a stiff north east wind. We have a hair over 6” on the ground here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Up_north_MI said:

With the Det radar down it’s hard to tell if the snow we’re getting here now in northern St Clair county is from the lake or part of the system snow coming up from the south. We’ve been under 3/4 a mile vis for the past couple hours now with a stiff north east wind. We have a hair over 6” on the ground here.

Answered my own question, NWS/Det had a little write up about it being lake effect from Huron. Flakes are actually bigger now then any we got yesterday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tuanis said:

That radar makes it look like something exploded in Bartlett. Looks like Brewster Creek Business Park. That's mostly warehouse/distribution/food users though.

was going to check on the LES (wimpy) and I saw that

searched twitter for explosion or fire but nothing

came here to check and i see others noticed it

interesting this was from 5 hours ago...i wonder why it started to really show up on the radar only recently 

Northern Illinois Scanner Incidents
@nisi_alerts
·
5h
Bartlett, DuPage County
1200 Humbracht Cir, Access Records Storage
2 Alarm Commercial Structure Fire
Defensive Operations in progress

2 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

interesting this was from 5 hours ago...i wonder why it started to really show up on the radar only recently 

@nisi_alerts
·
5h
Bartlett, DuPage County

Shan, PharmD
@shanpharmd
·
14m
Replying to 
@PogiPR
 and 
@ABC7Chicago
Wow I wonder what happened? We heard 3 explosions all of which shook the house.

1 minute ago, janetjanet998 said:

@nisi_alerts
·
5h
Bartlett, DuPage County

It took awhile burning before the roof was breached. Once that happened the side walls started coming down then it really got a major rush of air (O2) and then it blew up high enough for the radar beam to see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Sure hope folks didn't die or get seriously injured. :yikes:

I know the owner of the building so I reached out to make sure he was aware his building had collapsed and was burning to the ground. The tenant is a document storage company, not many employees on site. The owner said he hadn’t heard of any casualties or injuries.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Here's the chart from NWS Duluth. The wind chills they have are from 2-3 mph wind. -45 temps with 5 mph wind is -63. You walk in that cold air, the breeze from just moving in it causes a wind chill like what they have listed.

Now that some cold weather!!   I have experience near -30F to -40C a couple time.  Of course each time I did play with boiling water in a cup/pan and throw it into the air.

• Like 2

LOT talks about the fire causing more snow downwind and plane exhaust from O'Hare doing the same thing

also there seems to be a band of weak returns downwind of the Gary IND plant into eastern will county all day

SOME OF THESE  
SHOWERS IN MAINLY DUPAGE COUNTY HAVE APPEARED TO BE SPAWNED FROM  
AIRCRAFT EXHAUST WITH THE ADDED NUCLEI SUPPORTING SNOW CRYSTAL  
FORMATION. WE SEE THIS AT TIMES WHEN CLOUDS ARE AT THE COLD END OF  
THE SUPERCOOLED LIQUID ZONE (-7 TO -11C) AND THAT'S WHAT AMDAR  
SOUNDINGS ARE INDICATING RIGHT NOW. THESE SNOW SHOWERS HAVE  
PRODUCED BRIEF MODEST RATES PER SOCIAL MEDIA REPORTS, BUT LAST   
FOR A VERY QUICK DURATION DUE TO THE RAPID ADVECTION OF THE   
SHOWERS IN THE NORTH-NORTHEAST FLOW. CANNOT RULE OUT A DUSTING  
UNDER THESE THOUGH.  

ALSO OF NOTE, IF LOOKING AT OUR RADAR ONE WILL NOTICE A PLUME   
EMANATING FROM NORTHWEST DUPAGE COUNTY, AND THAT IS CONCENTRATED