Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Discobs 2022

George BM

18 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If this works out (radar says it might) the Canadian suite has been on this.

Yes 100% agree with this. Was thinking all along it was way too far nw but even down this way I’m still at 23 and precip on my doorstep. Unprecedented if you ask me.

Yes 100% agree with this. Was thinking all along it was way too far nw but even down this way I’m still at 23 and precip on my doorstep. Unprecedented if you ask me.

Looking like a terrible bust, but also think it looks like most of us will warm up too much for it to be impactful. You might get lucky with your location + timing. HDRPS doesn’t look totally crazy though, if it clouds up a bit earlier… has .25” of ice here lol.

50 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If it was seriously cold enough to support snow... this would be a memorable bust. When I say the Canadian suite has been on it, they haven't shown it to the extent they did till last night, but they've had FRZA out my way for a few days. Sorta impressive short-range coup.

Definitely, the way the radar is lined up we seem to at the very least have some sort of precipitation moving in when most models predicted nothing, if only it could arrive 8 hours earlier or later or it just be a bit colder out.

2 hours ago, Buddy1987 said:

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Looking like a terrible bust, but also think it looks like most of us will warm up too much for it to be impactful. You might get lucky with your location + timing. HDRPS doesn’t look totally crazy though, if it clouds up a bit earlier… has .25” of ice here lol.

18 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

HRRR trending better precip wise for what its worth

hrrr_apcpn_neus_fh14_trend.gif

Nothing spectacular, but I have flurries and a few sleet pellets falling in last hour and currently 26.2/22.4. So definitely a bit further west than even the models showing.... I'm 15 miles off WV line. 

• Like 2

The precip shield is pretty clearly going to extend further to the northwest than initially thought.     The problem for weenies, however, is that even with "close" sfc temps, the forecasted soundings overall don't seem to support snow on the northwest edge.     That said, some of the temperature profiles wouldn't require too much cooling to become wet snow, so I suppose that a few surprises are possible.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, high risk said:

The precip shield is pretty clearly going to extend further to the northwest than initially thought.     The problem for weenies, however, is that even with "close" sfc temps, the forecasted soundings overall don't seem to support snow on the northwest edge.     That said, some of the temperature profiles wouldn't require too much cooling to become wet snow, so I suppose that a few surprises are possible.

I mean I'm not expecting anything... but still would be cool to get an hour or two of wet snow falling

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

We needed this to happen overnight tonight and that would have helped a little. I’d imagine elevation and ruralness will play a role in whatever slush meteors may fall.

• Like 2

Could someone point me to a place where I can find daily/monthly records for major airports? And not the long-term averages, I need annual records.

I'm trying to rank what Cville saw from Jan 3rd - 31st. We averaged about 3 degrees below normal over the period and had like 250% of our normal snowfall

24 minutes ago, TSG said:

Could someone point me to a place where I can find daily/monthly records for major airports? And not the long-term averages, I need annual records.

I'm trying to rank what Cville saw from Jan 3rd - 31st. We averaged about 3 degrees below normal over the period and had like 250% of our normal snowfall

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=lwx

How much snow did you get? Here is January, hi to low. (Might need to take this with a grain of salt.)

image.png.d8d77c7512a5be5e377b35acc4e2ca9a.png

ETA : Might be 6th snowiest Jan, based on NorthArlington101's  15" number,

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TSG said:

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate

This is a good place... at least for our local airports. I'm not sure how other forecast offices display their climate data. Just click on the forecasting area you want and that should lead you to a lot more climate data is they have it.

• mappy unpinned this topic