• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Discobs 2022

George BM

The 6z 3km NAM shows light ZR/possible needles over much of the area tomorrow morning through midday/early afternoon hours. Just something to watch...

...I'm also aware of how well it did with temps for Wednesday of this past week. But still... something to watch assuming precip makes it far enough NW.

7 minutes ago, George BM said:

The 6z 3km NAM shows light ZR/possible needles over much of the area tomorrow morning through midday/early afternoon hours. Just something to watch...

...I'm also aware of how well it did with temps for Wednesday of this past week. But still... something to watch assuming precip makes it far enough NW.

Sterling has a special weather statement out reiterating this concern for tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Low of 16.7. @WeatherShak i think it does well IMBY if it’s cloudy or when the sun’s not up. Probably mounting location plays a role. 

I've never owned any thermo that remains accurate in direct sun. Even the ones that swear they do. I don't think they accountanted for increasing climate change sun angle in their design 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

High of 31

Dulles having mechanical issues with rising temps of 10 degrees higher than others, 

11 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

You aren’t wrong.  Something clearly went awry with the sensor at IAD this evening.  The climo report looks correct, for now. 

They stuck with 33 as a high, so they threw out the bad readings.

Low of 17 here.

Mount Holly discussion of freezing drizzle potential for tonight-

Some of the hi-res guidance is suggesting the resulting WAA inversion above the surface will be strong enough to produce some areas of light drizzle/freezing drizzle across the coastal plain (and especially along the immediate coast), mainly south/east of I-95 in the pre-dawn hours Monday. The DGZ will remain unsaturated during this time, so any precipitation should be mostly drizzle. Areas that remain near or below freezing would experience light freezing drizzle (mainly inland away from the immediate coast), but ground and air temperatures should remain very marginal for any widespread impacts. Long story short, given the low confidence in the occurrence of this drizzle and the marginal temperatures where the drizzle is more likely to occur near the coast, confidence is too low to warrant adding any ice accretion to the forecast and too low to issue any headlines for this threat. Nevertheless, a short- fused hazard may be realized late tonight and early Monday morning. We will continue to monitor this potential.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I've never owned any thermo that remains accurate in direct sun. Even the ones that swear they do. I don't think they accountanted for increasing climate change sun angle in their design 

The ones that are/can usually have a photosensor with compensation, radiation shield with active (fan) or combination of the two.

Ultrasonic anemometers can also provide temperature output that is unaffected by sun as long as they are high enough from interference (e.g. composition asphalt shingle).  But those can also be greatly affected by rime, snow, and rain so they need ancillary inputs from other sensors.  These methods are rarely employed in PWS hardware due to cost, however.

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Low of 16.7. @WeatherShak i think it does well IMBY if it’s cloudy or when the sun’s not up. Probably mounting location plays a role. 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Fan aspiration is critical for a home PWS if you want to be close enough in full sun.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

34.5 degrees. Pretty stoked to get this. Really wanted the Tempist but this was on sale at Costco and a good compromise with the wife. 7ddb189d5b1dfaaeb6ca358a35c71261.jpg

that's on my list of goals (i'm still renting).  i didn't even realize costco sold those.  i have a membership through my mom, but i never go...might have to check that out.  i know davis is also a popular brand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Zrain advisories hoisted soon 

zr_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.ebef3b38c502c46d85067922816e315b.png

3k NAM starts it well before sunrise tomorrow and untreated roads would be crappy fast.

We are down in Annapolis for the evening and I’m surprised that there’s no pretreating going on. I don’t think they should be pretreating, but I’m surprised they’re not!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I can lol...

Meat of winter where we average our most snow just started . I have grilled with snow falling though :snowing:

Little exhausted down here after being on the lower end each time, but still enjoyed all the tracking and what little did accumulate. Just feels like not our year and if so let’s just start firing the grills up. Also my face is getting tired of 7am runs in 20s…

• mappy unpinned this topic