Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2022

George BM

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Is there any reason why the file size is now 553.09 KB? I had posted a gif of a larger size but deleted it because it was the wrong thing. Now I tried to upload what I meant to and it won't let me. Did something change?

You probably need to go in and delete some old attachments 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I just go to my attachments and select 20 or so and delete them. It’s not hard

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It used to be a pain in the ass (one at a time) but it's been multi-select and delete for a while now.

Thank ya both! And thank you website creators for making the process much easier, lol

On 2/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, olafminesaw said:

I've seen a ton of different takes on what the true motive behind the invasion of Ukraine is. My current impression is it has mostly to do with distrust and resentment of the West as well as a desire to be taken seriously as a nation (which also looks back at the USSR's former "glory" and even beyond). What's your take on what motivates Putin's actions?

History major here from Maryland university, minor in Russian History. Lots of reading since, and as a professional symphony violinist, lots of friends from Russia. 

What motivates Putin ? He’s of the old USSR, looking to restore the Imperial Empire. Russia historically is a paranoid country…any threat needs to be wiped out. That’s you and me, btw and he can wipe us out …. He has been majorly upgrading the Russian Nuclear arsenal and delivery systems, he has been preparing for this moment for years. We have been sleeping here in the west, we are still sleeping. Ukraine is the breadbasket of Asia, it’s like Kansas Nebraska etc. it’s also very close to Moscow. It’s toast. Again.  We don’t like it when Russia puts missiles in Cuba, Ukraine wants to join NATO.

Putin is using the exact same excuses to invade as Hitler Did. That is, that there is a large Russian citizenry in Ukraine clamoring to be saved from persecution. Totally disingenuous and false. and the Russians there mostly were because they settled when Russia took over the Ukraine. He will use that excuse for all the breakaway Republics.(Breakaway only in the sense that they reclaimed their own independence back from when they were conquered by Russia). 

why the move into Ukraine now, and the testing of the waters by annexing Crimea during the Obama Administration?

Well, during the Obama administration, Putin invaded the Ukraine, and The response from the Obama Administration? They sent blankets.

Keep in mind, when the Ukraine broke away from Russia, they had one third (5,000 warheads) of the Russian Nuclear arsenal. They had the delivery systems, and the expertise to Use them. They voluntarily gave them up, in exchange for security guarantees from the United States and other countries. 

you tell me, what was that agreement worth?

the lesson? Get and it keep your own nuclear  deterrent. Sweden got the message, for example. It’s my understanding they had a nuclear weapon development program that was at the cusp of producing weapons. They mothballed it. It’s not mothballed any more.

(what the media doesn’t tell us is astounding)

Now we have Biden, with his 50 years of demanding inaction in face of aggression. Go back and look at original sources, at his history,not what the media doesn’t tell you!

He will Stand up to Putin? He’s like the kid with knees shaking and spineless that gets pushed up by others to confront the schoolyard bully. Tough talk but a house of cards. 

And everyone in the world knows it.

We have elected Neville Chamberlain the second. We are in for some really bad times here in the USA.

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Sorry to see that a legitimate question about a current full-on armed conflict in Europe was ultimately responded to with a very domestic political answer, completely devoid of nuance.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  And it was a rather one-sided domestic political answer as well. 

OK, stepping away from the political waters here, so as not to wade too much into that.

2 hours ago, Stradivarious said:

He will Stand up to Putin? He’s like the kid with knees shaking and spineless that gets pushed up by others to confront the schoolyard bully. Tough talk but a house of cards. 

And everyone in the world knows it.

We have elected Neville Chamberlain the second. We are in for some really bad times here in the USA.

Alright what do you purpose we do? I mean I think we have done a decent job of supporting Ukraine while minimizing the risk of escalation. 

49 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  And it was a rather one-sided domestic political answer as well. 

OK, stepping away from the political waters here, so as not to wade too much into that.

I found this video go be super helpful in understanding the situation. Covers everything but the ideological side of things

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Sorry to see that a legitimate question about a current full-on armed conflict in Europe was ultimately responded to with a very domestic political answer, completely devoid of nuance.

Unfortunately...in today's climate, it doesn't seem possible to discuss something that a world leader does that's so obviously awful (a fact agreed on by most)...without someone throwing in said domestic political answer. This is a prime example...ain't no reason the discussion should have even gotten back there...yet here we are! So like the mod said, we just cant talk about it.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, olafminesaw said:

I've seen a ton of different takes on what the true motive behind the invasion of Ukraine is. My current impression is it has mostly to do with distrust and resentment of the West as well as a desire to be taken seriously as a nation (which also looks back at the USSR's former "glory" and even beyond). What's your take on what motivates Putin's actions?

Hard to say what motivates a person on an individual level. There are entire organizations dedicated to providing analyses on that, but just looking at it from a layperson's perspective, I think most to do with a desire to establish firmer hold on his power as he ages. Now...what's happening inside the halls of power in Russia I can't really say, but on the surface it does seem like he's desperate to remain in charge and continue to line his own (and those of his oligarch supporters) pockets at the expense of his people, and using an invasion of Ukraine to demonstrate power is a way to do that - both by stoking national pride and by showing that opposing him is futile. Thing is...it currently looks like his gamble has completely backfired.

The interesting thing to me is his claim that they went into Ukraine to "de-Nazify" it and to "liberate" Russian speakers from a despotic government. It's a tale that has been used to great effect in the past, but the proliferation of social media and the like can easily refute those claims. Referring to Ukrainians as "Nazis" is very powerful, though - even more powerful than most may realize. There were a good number of Ukrainians who allied themselves with Hitler's Germany, much of it to do with the dislike of Soviet "mother Russia," though of course there were those who were anti-Semitic and gladly took part in persecution of Jews. My point, though, is that there's a very pointed reason to use that language when it comes to portraying the Ukrainian government (people?) in a negative light, particularly as Russia looks to block as much foreign media from reporting on the conflict as possible and are only concerned with ensuring that Russians are receiving only the information that the government wants to feed them.

6 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...if we are really done (and even if we get some more pity snow), I gotta say, that is a D to D- winter for my new home in north Baltimore County. Just awful. 

Overall it wasn't great here. I picked up 9" in the beginning of January (good storm) and came in under average snowfall for the year, so probably a C-.

42 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...if we are really done (and even if we get some more pity snow), I gotta say, that is a D to D- winter for my new home in north Baltimore County. Just awful. 

I’d be in that boat as well. January was enjoyable here. I think I got maybe 11” mainly from two storms. About 3.5° below normal and snow cover for most of the month. But at the same time December and February were awful, and at about a third of normal snow so there’s no way I could grade this above a D.

Yet

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yep... we were pretty much missed to the north, east, west, and south.  The only event that we were bulleyed, was the smallest event of the year.

• mappy unpinned this topic